1000ft drag racing in Denver (2 Viewers)

Wow.
Just wow. Never thought this would happen.
:(

But I do support the drivers of these machines. 110%.

Like I told Rex on the phone the other night, you would have been laughed out of the room if you'd have suggested this 20 years ago. I used to have a hard enough time explaining to people that we bracket raced on the 1/8 mile.

Twenty years ago, right after drag racings 70s heyday, people expected to hear you say quarter mile drag racing. Now you have a greater majority of the population who have never been to a drag race. If you explain to them that it's done in 1,000 ft, they're not going to question it or act like there's something wrong with it.

If a nitro car doesn't do it for you in 1,000 ft as a new spectator, it's not going to do it for you in 1,320 ft. I'll bet most of the people who criticize it would need a change of underwear on a good 60 ft pass, much less 1,000. :D

In the interest of safety, I am all for it. Would I like to see 1320 racing, yeah, but my view on what is important for the sport changed on June 21, 2008 when I was in the stands at E-Town. This is a start in the right direction IMO.

Like I told Rex on the phone the other night, you would have been laughed out of the room if you'd have suggested this 20 years ago. I used to have a hard enough time explaining to people that we bracket raced on the 1/8 mile.

Twenty years ago, right after drag racings 70s heyday, people expected to hear you say quarter mile drag racing. Now you have a greater majority of the population who have never been to a drag race. If you explain to them that it's done in 1,000 ft, they're not going to question it or act like there's something wrong with it.

If a nitro car doesn't do it for you in 1,000 ft as a new spectator, it's not going to do it for you in 1,320 ft. I'll bet most of the people who criticize it would need a change of underwear on a good 60 ft pass. :D

I'd say half that distance:eek:;)

REX

floppers, 4-teens to 4.30's... maybe a 4.1 flat in the hero sessions
T/F about a tenth quick...
maybe a 3.99 before the end of the season, by Prock/Robert and AJ/Shoe
betcha we're still seeing right at 3 bucks at a thou

finish line closer to the butts in the seats...
I have no problem with this.

d'kid

In the interest of safety, I am all for it. Would I like to see 1320 racing, yeah, but my view on what is important for the sport changed on June 21, 2008 when I was in the stands at E-Town. This is a start in the right direction IMO.

Paul, YOU, as I, understand.

I wish we did not have to.:(

REX

Given the fact that these cars are reaching 275-280 mph at the eighth mile, and the engine rpm and gear ratio are limited, leads me to believe that their all done at 1000 ft anyway! All another 320 ft does is create the stage for pent-up energy and disaster.

floppers, 4-teens to 4.30's... maybe a 4.1 flat in the hero sessions
T/F about a tenth quick...
maybe a 3.99 before the end of the season, by Prock/Robert and AJ/Shoe
betcha we're still seeing right at 3 bucks at a thou

finish line closer to the butts in the seats...
I have no problem with this.

d'kid

Probably around 310.

REX

One interesting aspect will be a new set of milestones. A little voice tells me it's as contrived as the Countdown (what we used to "debate" about here before nitro prices, what we used to "debate" about here before shutdown areas) but, it'll still be interesting.

I just hope this is for Denver if not well im not sure what to think, I love 1320

this will mean the crew chiefs will only make the wick shorter, more fuel, more blower , more everything because they wont be hitting the rev-limiter. and god forbid there is an accident, then what? 660ft racing?

Would Scott have still died that day in Englishtown had the track been 1,000 feet?

The length of the race wasn't the problem. The length of the shutdown area, and a pole and a wall were the problem. Just my opinion.

Didn't NHRA want a reduction to 1000 ft back around 1980 which spawned the infamous "thousand foot club" at Indy? Personally, Joe average won't know the difference or even care that they've been cheated out of 320ft of possible carnage on each fuel run.

No doubt it`s going to be strange seeing the fuel cars only run to 1,000 ft but if the owners and drivers are for it, then we need to support them...we don`t have to like it, but until NHRA finds what they`re looking for, then we should support the change. I hope they go back to 1,320 eventually, but it`ll be kinda cool seeing 4.1s come up on the board.

Last edited:
Would Scott have still died that day in Englishtown had the track been 1,000 feet?

The length of the race wasn't the problem. The length of the shutdown area, and a pole and a wall were the problem. Just my opinion.

From limited details , yes , because he was going 300mph at 1000 ft, and would have prob. been going at close to same speed at rack end. The 320ft
would have been covered in less than 1 second. 300mph is 440 ft per sec.

this will mean the crew chiefs will only make the wick shorter, more fuel, more blower , more everything because they wont be hitting the rev-limiter. and god forbid there is an accident, then what? 660ft racing?

Your absolutely right. Teams will begin running them harder to 1000' since they don't have to keep them in one piece for 1320'. A 1000' foot track may have saved Blaine and Darrell and possibly Scott, depending on what point his engine exploded. I personally don't like the change but if all the racers are for it, it is probably best for the sport.

"this will mean the crew chiefs will only make the wick shorter, more fuel, more blower , more everything because they wont be hitting the rev-limiter. and god forbid there is an accident, then what? 660ft racing?"

I agree with this. Alan Johnson and the other tuners will make it run stronger yet. You can never go backwards. The human spirit always wants to push it a little further.

Sure wish I'd known about this a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have wasted $500 going to this race!

Yeah, the duckets have already been spent for Sonoma and Indy, but after that our attention will be on IHRA, IHBA, and nostalgia. It's a terrible tragedy what happened to Blaine, Darrell, Eric, and Scott, but the panic mode (90% then 85% then chassis changes etc.....) have done more harm than good. Look at the car counts. How many NHRA legal fuel cars are there?? 300 mph racing is dangerous, and things happen (and will continue to happen). There has been top end explosions since the inception of nitro, but 99% of the time the racer walks away. While the search for the safest race car should never end, I just can't agree with pushing the panic button after every tragedy.

Also with 320' less track, a good reaction time will be crucial. If your down .05 at the tree you have a lot less room to make it up.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back