Team Orders/Diving. What is your take? (1 Viewer)

I don’t really have a problem with the current qualifying games. It does bother me because it takes away the reward of being a top qualifier. What if this becomes common practice throughout the countdowns in the future? Every countdown race trying to position 3 cars to take out the other contenders while throwing the race if they face their own team contender. What if someone wants that U.S. Nationals win really bad and they position blockers to help them? What if they really want to win a sponsors race? I’m sure these type of things have happened to some degree in the past. History has shown anytime someone discovers an advantage they take it to the extreme. I hope we never see this scenario. At some point would trying to qualify at the top even matter or would it be a negative?

I share your concern with this becoming more common and problematic with the future, especially as it relates to the countdown. How the points are reset contribute to it. I don't care who was the first to do it, but it's definitely a potential problem. If the points had never been reset, especially in the manner they are, then Enders would already have been eliminated a few races ago.

If, as some have stated, that NHRA desires a championship to be won at the finals, then it's likely only to get worse.

Win and win at ANY cost. Win the World Series by stealing the catcher’s signs. Win the Super Bowl with deflated footballs. Win the Stanley Cup by having the meanest “goon”.

For decades, when writing about drag racing, Jeff Burk used to say, “It’s all about the Benjamins”. Nothing has changed

I started writing this post with ranting about how society has changed for the worse. How winning is everything now, ethics be damned. But then I realized that what Elite is doing is significantly more honest than what drag racing world champions did when round wins were bought in the pits 40+ years ago. Those wins were done in the dark, just like 100 years ago when the Chicago White Sox threw the World Series. It was about the Benjamins then and it’s about the Benjamins now.

I didn’t have much of a problem with KJ’s “Still go a job” sign back then as it was out in the open (and the other guys may well have been on “laughing gas” at the time). I don’t have a problem with Elite’s “teamwork” today as Greg Anderson did it to Erica first.

Does doing this out in the open make this “right”? It’s significantly more honest than doing it behind everyone’s back. But is it “right”? The Bible quotes numerous times: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” GA did it first, they are now doing it to him.

Win or lose the Championship, Elite is following what’s written in the Bible, so I guess Erica’s “Give God the Glory.” Statement is OK with Him.

Disclaimer: I hoped I waltzed around the edge of religion here and if I offended anyone, it was not my intention.

So Enders doing it now is ok because GA did it first......hmm, whatever happened to "Peter turn the other cheek", “Show respect to people who don’t even deserve it; not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours." or "Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone." ?? Enders' statement about giving glory is so absurd in light of her past actions. I'm not sure whose Bible you're referring to when you say Enders is following it.

I haven't kept up with all things NHRA and Nitromater as much in the last few years as I once did... life happens, as they say. Still, I'm a little surprised to see that there are people seemingly upset with strategic qualifying efforts in order to gain a favorable matchup in eliminations. I can understand people being put off by diving on race day (personally I don't have a problem with it as long as it's out in the open, although I've probably seen it the other way at some point) but qualifying? Strategic qualifying is as much a part of drag racing as race gas and drag slicks.

So Enders doing it now is ok because GA did it first......hmm, whatever happened to "Peter turn the other cheek", “Show respect to people who don’t even deserve it; not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours." or "Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone." ?? Enders' statement about giving glory is so absurd in light of her past actions. I'm not sure whose Bible you're referring to when you say Enders is following it.
Don’t want to “go there” on here and hopefully this is the last time I’ll feel pressured to “go there’.
Christ didn’t turn the other cheek when he threw the money changers out of the temple, and you could say He “took a dive” at the cross so all of us could win. He easily had the other “team” covered.
I will explain where the numerous times “Do unto others as they do unto you” is in the Bible in a private message later as I’m watching Orlando Speed World Street Nationals on Floracing.com and NHRA on FS1. Wife’s not happy… Does that mean I have to turn one or both off? Nah… we've been married a very long time and she knows: “For all have sinned.”

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back