Taking Dives................ (1 Viewer)

Is Diving new? Nope
But be out front about it...
Beck/Minor
What Jeff did in Reading
Conrad

NHRA screwed up with the memo

Winning isn't everything... It's the ONLY THING and a half million bonus split between all the teams on a multi car team.. ain't chump change...
and that's the bottom line

d'kid

And what about Vandergriff going in the tank for Dixon? He smoked the tires at the same place as Cruz, so if Cruz was diving, I guess that Bob was too.

Alan

yea and don't forget Millican and Bazemore...........:rolleyes:
It could not have been the bump in that lane:cool:

I think this Countdown crap is just the beginning of drag racing's form of corruption. Drag racing has survived for over 50 years without this Countdown. Why change now? Taking dives, team orders, etc. The season isn't over and I hate this system already. And it's only going to get worse. What team member would want to work on a team that may not be "allowed" to win? What sponsor would ever want to be involved with a team that was involved with taking dives?

People get into big time trouble in the stick and ball sports for throwing the outcome of a game. Will drag racing reach that point?

i have to disagree.
1. drag racing has survived, but only as the redheaded stepchild of motorsports. i say, it's time for the big time!
2. a driver that didn't make the countdown DID have a chance to win. he had 17 races to be in the top 8 in points. if you go 17 races and are not in the top 8, there's no way you're going to win the championship in 6-7 races.
3. why would the sponsors want to be involved. because if this goes to plan, NHRA will get tons more media coverage AS A WHOLE. a non-countdown driver will probably get more airtime and media coverage 3 years from now than the world champion got 6 years ago.

i have to disagree.
1. drag racing has survived, but only as the redheaded stepchild of motorsports. i say, it's time for the big time!
2. a driver that didn't make the countdown DID have a chance to win. he had 17 races to be in the top 8 in points. if you go 17 races and are not in the top 8, there's no way you're going to win the championship in 6-7 races.
3. why would the sponsors want to be involved. because if this goes to plan, NHRA will get tons more media coverage AS A WHOLE. a non-countdown driver will probably get more airtime and media coverage 3 years from now than the world champion got 6 years ago.
I LOVE IT.....:D

i have to disagree.

Five years from now...
I don't want to pay $150 a day for tickets
Closed Pits
Talking head drivers
In general, everything I've grown to hate about NASCAR

"Take Paradise, put up a parking lot..."

i have to disagree.

So where's all the media at that this was supposed to gain? Oh yeah laughing at us. Is the hope that we will get coverage for the last 3 races to make up for being snubbed the rest of the season. If it weren't for crashes or Ashley hotness we'd never get mentioned on espn or elsewhere.
Ask yourself this. If this countdown had increased viewwers and attention the way they had hoped, would we have spent the entire season complaining about the lousy timeslots. Espn2 would put us on in more favorable timeslots if it was worth it do them. Thankfully with football season in full swing, they put us up against that so at least its on before midnight. Before you pat yourself on the back that it is progress, try flipping over to espn or 2 when football is on. You will often find ice skating. They consider it filler knowing that most will be watching football.

Hopefully the powers that be will see the errors of this system and return to a true championship race. I applaud their attempts at trying something new, however change just for the sake of change isn't the right step. I actually feel bad for whomever gets stuck winning the titles this year, especially if its their first ever. I guess on the bright side people always say they want to be like the bigger sports, now we are like basecall, as many will consider this season's championships the year of the asterisk.

you can't expect the changes to happen overnight. there's going to be gradual changes over the next few years to find the formula that works. you can't say the countdown isn't working when it hasn't even been one season yet.

everything you just complained about, bad time slots, poor media coverage/apathy, those are a result of the PREVIOUS system. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." well, it's been broke for a long time now, and it's time to fix it.

it's funny how many drag racing fans complain and whine about how the payouts are poor, media coverage sucks, etc etc etc, but still want to keep NHRA as "good ol boy" racing. you can't have both.....

So, you think that complicating an already complicate form of motorsports, is a step in the right direction for gaining new fans, more air time, new sponsors? I don't. Heck, most of the people I still know in racing, have a hard time keeping up with the "Countdown".

Well alright then..........now that Dixon and the SkyTel guys have the points lead, I like the shamdown;)

However........ask me again after Pomona :cool:

the original french spelling is La' perouse. (la-pa-roose)

my gumbo will make you slap yo' mamma. don't ever let a new orleanian tell you they know how to make cajun food:)
lol....Hey, I finally mastered my roux! OK, OK....it took me 5 years, but WAHOO! I got it now! :D

the original french spelling is La' perouse. (la-pa-roose)

my gumbo will make you slap yo' mamma. don't ever let a new orleanian tell you they know how to make cajun food:)
I grew up in Houma, I'll cook up some Gumbo, and you're right about 'dat, Cajun Country stops just short of New Orleans. They don't even talk the same language!:cool:

Speaking of Houma, here's a good one for you guys.
I took this picture from there when I was a kid (1971). It is the Plain Vanilla Cuda, and the kid in the picture is none other than the man above in post #52, Mel Smith!:D
plainvanilla-1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, since we're swappin' recipes, just for my information, how do you and Karl like your crow served?

Just want to be ready for anything......:D

The 'Ace...........is #1 in my book.

I was tounge in cheek referring to the fact that he never won a NHRA championship.

just like Al Hoffman, Cory Mac, Del Worsham, Doug Kallitta, (not to mention Connie)........................:eek:

ton's of guys...............

Just seems like they are snakebit.

Hey.......I feel bad for Ron.........he is one of the best!!!

You know for a fact Force Loves 'em to death........
And apparently Vise Versa!!!!!!!:D

But the format is the format.

From the Winternationals on them's wuz da' rulz............

And the playing field was the same for all............

If I TAKE the challenge I NEVER complain about the outcome.

And those that took the challenge parked their trailers at Pomona for the Winters'.

Force is Shit outta' luck and he ain't pissin'...................

Cryin' now is ludicrous.

Time to act like MEN.............

REX

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back