Taking advice... (1 Viewer)

G'ginna

Nitro Member
Actually, I'm taking the advice of someone I call a friend - me not being a hammerhead? Thanks dude. It took me awhile to come around to it, so here goes.
While many of you are in FB and know this, some of you are not, so, to catch you up, in September, I lost the person who meant most to me. The person who had become my best friend, who knew pretty much everything there is to know about me (we're talking real details that will still remain secret here) and who I thought that I would be growing old with (really old, like into my 90's old.) My husband, Rick, and I hadn't been married nearly as many years as a lot of people, but we did pack a lot into the few years we were together. His passing was completely unexpected and sudden. I'm not going to say I don't miss him still or that I don't still find myself crying and feeling sorry for myself because he isn't here, because I do. I learned how he touched so many people's lives in a positive way and that I would be selfish to think that no one could miss him more than I, but I do think that at times anyway. There is a huge hole in many hearts that he filled and I miss him every day. Through this, I discovered that I had more friends than I thought I knew, people who gave of themselves to make sure that I had all the love and support they could provide, and my cellphone now also contains numbers for people that called him friend and asked if they could stay in contact with me. He shared stories with me of some his adventures, such as delivering a Lambo to the beginning of the old Cannonball, a motocross crash that had a timed sequence spread in one of the old magazines (I still would love to see it), driving car rallies in Europe while he was in the Army, getting arrested for drunk bullfighting traffic in Italy (I think that's where he said it was), giving Don Garlitz racing advice (not to change his setup because others were chasing his time & he shouldn't mess with a good thing). He shared so many stories that there were times my mouth would just hang from amazement and other times he would have me laughing so hard that I could barely breathe. We didn't always see eye to eye on things, but we always shared respect, honesty, trust, and love. He held a moral and ethical code that set a high example for his sons to live up to and I am proud and honored to have been his wife, even for the little while we had.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. g'

Bittersweet moment this evening. Stopped for the mail on my way to my driveway and the mortgage envelope was there. Of course I always open it right away. Before Rick passed we had been working hard on paying off all debt and I had taken on the challenge of paying off our mortgage a.s.a.p., but he passed before I was finished. I will admit I was talking on the phone with a friend while I was opening the envelope, not quite sure what I was expecting because I had never paid off a mortgage before and this looked the same as all the statements received in the past. So, it was actually a letter congratulating the fact that the last payment has been made and that another document would follow. I was celebrating the payoff and started crying because Rick wasn't here to celebrate with me, that he never got to see his home paid in full. Happy and sad. I've already cried a bucket, but I know in my heart he would have been so tickled that this was done.

We didn't always see eye to eye on things, but we always shared respect, honesty, trust, and love.
I don't go on Facebook anymore for reasons I won't bore you with here, but my thoughts and prayers go out to you during this trying time, I can't imagine how difficult it must be. That said, this simple sentence from your original post sums up what "love" is supposed to be rather poetically and beautifully and I am extremely happy to know that you were able to experience it in it purest form with Rick, even if it wasn't for as long as you'd have hoped. Some people go their entire lives and don't get to experience true love. May God bless and watch over you, now and always, my friend.

Thank you Gordon. I am and have been very watched over. You are missed there, but I totally get why you left FB behind. God bless & keep you.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back