Good Bye To An Old Friend (1 Viewer)

DrRocket

Nitro Member
toby3small.jpg

It’s been a few days now since Toby “headed west” (Old military term for kicking the bucket.) and I’m finally getting used to the fact that he’ll no longer greet me at the door when I come home as he was wont to do.

You know, I’d never owned a dog before, but I could tell right away Toby (AKA Tobias, The Puppers, and my personal favorite, Furbutt.) was pretty special.

He was smart. He figured out new routines and adapted to them quickly. He always remembered who our friends were after meeting them once or twice. He started “dumpster diving” several years ago, forcing us to buy a latched kitchen trash can, as we really don’t have room for one under the sink. Took him about 2 weeks to figure out how to spring the latch and get it open. We had to use duct tape on it after that. Whenever he heard the sound of me chopping food in the kitchen, he’d camp out at my feet, because he knew his chances of “getting lucky” were good.

He was stubborn. If he’d staked a spot out on the floor, he was loath to give it up until he had no physical choice.

When we first got him, he was uber-alpha. He WOULD NOT tolerate any other dog near him. Ever. Even on TV. He didn’t like horses either, but I think he just figured they were big-assed dogs. Once, when a dog food commercial came on TV and the jingle started playing, he came screaming up the stairs from the basement barking away at the dog he KNEW would be on the screen. No matter what we tried, no matter how much interaction we attempted, no matter how much socializing we tried, no luck. He still hated any other dog. Of course, off leash parks were absolutely out of the question. He finally mellowed out in the last year and a half or so. I think he figured that he’d reached the age where it wasn’t worth the effort any more.

He adored people, on the other hand. When we had the graduation party for one son a few years ago, I was a bit worried about how he would handle the big crowd we’d have at the house. I needn’t have worried. He absolutely charmed everyone. Even the son's Mother-In-Law to be, known for not liking dogs at all admitted “You know, for a dog, he’s not that bad.” I was later told by the DIL that was huge. I do believe he thought he was a human. He just didn’t have any pockets for his billfold.

Most of all, he was tenacious. He NEVER gave up. Not once. I think that’s why he lived so long. (est 18-19 years.) Even in his last couple of days, when his back legs were completely quitting on him, he STILL tried his best to make it up the stairs. My sons had to use a sheet sling to get him to the car, and they used a stretcher at the vets to get him inside. He still tried to get up off the stretcher and walk into the room. But he’s at peace now, and all is good.

So long old friend. I’m really gonna miss ya. Hope your next journey is a happy one.

recent_small.jpg

Dogs are good people. I put my best friend down in October 2004, after 12 GREAT years. I still miss him. I feel your pain David.

Hang in there David. That is a long time to have a great pet so you can feel blessed in that regard.

Of course the short term is VERY difficult to take. Again, hang in there and remember the good times!!

My experience is, you never get over them, you just move on without them. Sometimes that moving on part is hard to do, though.

So this is where we part, My Friend,
And you'll run on around the bend,
Gone from sight but not from mind,
New pleasures there you'll surely find.
I will go on, I'll find the strength,
Life measures quality, not its length.
One long embrace before you leave,
Share one last look, before I grieve.
There are others, that much is true,
But they be they and they aren't you.
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought
Will remember well all you've taught.
Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
The fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
And as you go to your final rest,
Take with you this -- I loved you best.

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone. I do appreciate it. The house still seems empty without him, but we're acclimating ourselves to it.

toby3small.jpg

It’s been a few days now since Toby “headed west” (Old military term for kicking the bucket.) and I’m finally getting used to the fact that he’ll no longer greet me at the door when I come home as he was wont to do.

You know, I’d never owned a dog before, but I could tell right away Toby (AKA Tobias, The Puppers, and my personal favorite, Furbutt.) was pretty special.

He was smart. He figured out new routines and adapted to them quickly. He always remembered who our friends were after meeting them once or twice. He started “dumpster diving” several years ago, forcing us to buy a latched kitchen trash can, as we really don’t have room for one under the sink. Took him about 2 weeks to figure out how to spring the latch and get it open. We had to use duct tape on it after that. Whenever he heard the sound of me chopping food in the kitchen, he’d camp out at my feet, because he knew his chances of “getting lucky” were good.

He was stubborn. If he’d staked a spot out on the floor, he was loath to give it up until he had no physical choice.

When we first got him, he was uber-alpha. He WOULD NOT tolerate any other dog near him. Ever. Even on TV. He didn’t like horses either, but I think he just figured they were big-assed dogs. Once, when a dog food commercial came on TV and the jingle started playing, he came screaming up the stairs from the basement barking away at the dog he KNEW would be on the screen. No matter what we tried, no matter how much interaction we attempted, no matter how much socializing we tried, no luck. He still hated any other dog. Of course, off leash parks were absolutely out of the question. He finally mellowed out in the last year and a half or so. I think he figured that he’d reached the age where it wasn’t worth the effort any more.

He adored people, on the other hand. When we had the graduation party for one son a few years ago, I was a bit worried about how he would handle the big crowd we’d have at the house. I needn’t have worried. He absolutely charmed everyone. Even the son's Mother-In-Law to be, known for not liking dogs at all admitted “You know, for a dog, he’s not that bad.” I was later told by the DIL that was huge. I do believe he thought he was a human. He just didn’t have any pockets for his billfold.

Most of all, he was tenacious. He NEVER gave up. Not once. I think that’s why he lived so long. (est 18-19 years.) Even in his last couple of days, when his back legs were completely quitting on him, he STILL tried his best to make it up the stairs. My sons had to use a sheet sling to get him to the car, and they used a stretcher at the vets to get him inside. He still tried to get up off the stretcher and walk into the room. But he’s at peace now, and all is good.

So long old friend. I’m really gonna miss ya. Hope your next journey is a happy one.

recent_small.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope this may help a little
Rainbows Bridge Home Page

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back