Team Racing History (1 Viewer)

yoda

Nitro Member
Here's another one to jog the memory banks... With all the talk about my favorite subject, Team Orders, I got to thinking about some teams from the past that were and were NOT juggernauts in their day. The kind of teams that when their circus pulled into town, you just packed up and headed for another track as opposed to taking a beating, as well as those teams that were formed that left everyone scratching their heads "Why?"...

I recall that Shoe had a pretty good amount of cars running in the 70's under the Wonder Wagon umbrella, and Jungle was running what seemed like 4 or 5 cars at one point too. And were the Bean Bandits just one car and eight million helpers, or were there other cars in that mix too? I know the Road Kings were probably the best of the bunch, with Snake, Ivo and Leong to name a few, but were they actually a "team"?

Anyone else think of some great "SuperTeams" as well as some of the lesser known efforts?

jungle jim had multiple cars because he had so many bookings that he needed cars all over the place so that he showed up on time with a ready car.

Team Orders you say..........................Paul Candies once told me this story. At the 1970 Gatornationals when their 1969 Barracuda was killing everyone in eliminations with Larry Reyes driving. He finally met Leonard Hughes in the finals in the new Candies and Hughes 1970 Barracuda. Candies said that right before the finals an executive from Plymouth came over and told him that there was no way that he could let the '69 car beat the new one, that would not be a good move for new car sales. Paul said "Hey, I don't have a factory deal, I'm gonna let them run". He said that before the finals, he signed a factory deal, and right after that race PLYMOUTH was lettered on the quarter panels of the new 'Cuda.

In the final, Larry Reyes had a VERY lazy light and still ran him down only to shut off early with low elapsed time and top speed, and let Leonard Hughes take the win!:eek:

Mickey Thompson had 2 Mustang FCs in about 1969, one driven by Danny Ongais, the other Pat Foster.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back