Nitro Jams and Prostalgia Nitro Funny Car (1 Viewer)

Treeshaker

Nitro Member
There has been a lot of banter on different forums on how the Nitro Jam format isn't racing and I would like to inform those with that opinion that they are dead wrong. I have attended 5 Nitro Jams as a crew member on a Prostalgia Nitro Funny Car and our team, along with our competitors in the other lane, have always went to the line with the intentions of winning that round and the overall race for that day. Every round, from the first to the last run every day. No time trials, no mulligans.

The desire to win is why I was hired by my car owner. With me there we have won 13 times verses 5 losses, being in two finals and winning one Iron Man.

At PBIR, a few cars were trying to rotate the earth by running their cars hard and they were the ones that created a lot of the down time with oil spills, and some didn't make it back for the second run of the night. One of the keys to running these events is to not run your car to the limits so that you can turn the car around for the second round in the short time period given. That is why low ets stay within a certain range.

It must be a good program to be involved with, as over 27 cars applied to run in Tuscon, and Feld personnel are pounded weekly by teams wanting to run the other events during the year. In fact, one tuner wanted to make a $100,000.00 wager late last year with last year's teams that his car owner would be part of the show for the entire 2011 season. He would have lost if the teams would have taken him up on it.

Many teams on the outside want rules changes also, some whining that they have data that shows with the size pump and blower allowed they have ran 5.20 ets in the past. Of course their selective memory forgets that they were running direct drive, 4 and 5 disc lock up clutches, along with more downforce from their bodies of the era. They also forget that at around the 5.6 et range many bodies were blown off until the lock up clutch came about. All part of getting old and selective memories.

All I wanted to say is that the Nitro Jam events are competitive, they are fun to compete in, I like what/how Feld and the old IHRA is doing, and that this format could be copied and successful at tracks throughout the country.

Virgil, I made Epping & Richmond last year, and, as a spectator, saw tons of great, heads up side by side racing. I personally found the new format to be exciting and competitive. And the ticket price can't be beat for the variety of pro and sportsman entries on hand. I don't think I've ever seen as many spectators at New England Dragway as there were on Saturday last year!

By the way, it was great to see Richard behind the wheel of a F/C:D:D:D

Richard really enjoys driving. Our only loss this year was at PBIR when Richard was amped up to leave on Peter and he red lit.

I think NHRA bullied Epping into signing early and now Epping management might be having second thoughts.

Virgil
The Fuel Altered Guys I know are having a blast the crowds are great and treat them well.
The PBIR alt. was sick that all I can say.
Only at the patch have us Westerners ever see that number.
Baton Rouge was great place for the AA/FA guys also as the crowds loved them.

Tucson we hoped they would make the AA/FA a 8 car show as they are very popular here!.

I'm with you Virgil. I, like you, have been to several Nitro Jams as a crewman, and that drive to win and suceed is the same for me as an NHRA race. For some people seem to think that you either have a race or a show, but it is possible to have both. I think that the Nitro Jams are good evidence of that.

I think that it is a great format, brings in a great of variety of fast cars at a great price for the spectators. Saying that it is not really racing is similar to saying that the booked in Match Races of the 70's weren't really races......

not to question you virgil, cause that would prove frustrating forboth of us but.

You say
"One of the keys to running these events is to not run your car to the limits so that you can turn the car around for the second round in the short time period given. That is why low ets stay within a certain range".

But first you say
I have attended 5 Nitro Jams as a crew member on a Prostalgia Nitro Funny Car and our team, along with our competitors in the other lane, have always went to the line with the intentions of winning that round and the overall race for that day. Every round, from the first to the last run every day. No time trials, no mulligans.

I know your point, is, if you blow up or try to hard a things happen and the show slows.

But if you tune your car to get down the track without any issues, you are not running hard. You are not running to potential.
you state how you have done in the nitro jam deal. Well unfortunatelt you stated the end results but not the real numbers:
here they are.

Palm Beach
run 1 ****WINNER**** 0.097 8.626 117.49 shook
Run 2 -0.068 8.556 102.50
Run 3 ****WINNER**** 0.145 6.065 191.59
Run 4 did not run could not reverse

One good run in Palm Beach. I would say a 6.06 is a meduim set up. Only 191 so the et likely would have been a high five

Baton Rouge
Run one 0.109 15.975 40.96 shook and chute
Run two 0.170 7.069 192.18 shook
Run three ****WINNER**** 0.093 6.079 198.19
Run four ****WINNER**** 0.126 6.690 209.25

One decent run there as well

Budds creek
Run 1 0.127 6.222 240.08
Run 2 5.915 239.39
Run 3 0.142 5.921 238.01
Run 4 0.105 6.201 228.15

Budds creek last year you kicked ass and I bet that is what you would like to run evey run. The 5.9's are not soft tune up.

Richmond two runs only due to weather
Run 3 No Time did not make the call
Run 4 0.108 7.041 145.41

Not much to say there.

Run hard, you leave feeling better about everything, and you give the fans their moneys worth.
This was not meant to bash you it is meant to look at the numbers. As a reporter that is what I write about.

Dean

It is a race Dean, two cars line up and give it their best shot, first to the finish line without an infraction wins. We won much more than we lost. The only people I have ever found that were that interested in the times are the computer crew chiefs that never attend events. And we were 2 - 0 against your favorite, Mr Explosive. I liked their team and the bravato spirit they brought to the events, but I thought you should be aware of our record against them since you brought up our lack of performance. And the 5.90s were a safe tune up. Most of our performance woes prior to my joining the team and later were equipment related. We do not run a computer and there isn't time to change much between rounds, so it takes us a while to sort some stuff out.

The Floch's put together a new car over the winter that was finished on Friday morning when I arrived at PBIR. The guy that mounted the body literally didn't know what he was doing and our performance suffered at both events. I did not allow the car to be driven to the finish line mainly because of the fuel tank. They had 3 built, two arrived at the track Thursday. The body mounter ruined the original tank, the second would have performed the same as John Dunn's did, and the 3rd had to be persuaded with a hammer to fit the chassis and was only a little better than the second. More happened, but I doubt you have the ability to understand the workings of a race car even if I explained our problems.

I have seen your fairy tale story about who/what/where started the NFC movement, your penchant for teams that go out and buy their set ups and have the resources to go out and literally ruin the class for the masses, your penchant for teams running very hard and getting paid very little and your inability to understand what makes a good event for real live fans that attend these events. Keep reading about it on line and revel in the numbers, because that is all the pleasure that computer crew chiefs can get when they stay home.

At the five events I have attended, all the fans that I talked to directly and overheard in conversations, were very pleased with the show that the Prostalgia Nitro Funny Cars, and all the nitro vehicles for that matter, put on for them. The action on the track, the interaction with the crews, the fan appreciation hour, and photo ops with the cars all seem to be a hit.

Before lobbing shots at the events or our team, get out from behind the computer and attend these events in person. That is the only way that anyone can assess them properly. And please look at the event's schedule ahead of time, so that you don't stand under the tower waiting for cars to run during the fan appreciation hour and then post on a forum about the excessive down time.

Run hard, you leave feeling better about everything, and you give the fans their moneys worth.
This was not meant to bash you it is meant to look at the numbers. As a reporter that is what I write about.

Dean

If you are not attending the events in person, your writing is only hearsay, which is inadmissable as fact. May be the reason I don't bother to read speed zone.

If you had journalist that actually attend the events they are writing about under their byline, it might make your endeavor more appealling to the masses.

The LIVE spectators, and they are the only ones that count in my book, feel they are getting a show worth their price of admission except when cars run too hard and spill their fluids onto the track for lengthy cleanups. Some times, descretion is the better part of valor.

I must admit that after watching prostalgia funny car in Baton Rouge, I would rather watch it than nitro funny car or top fuel. I too thought it was a show until I actually went and watch. I am just sorry I did not go saturday night(which I heard was jam pack). Watching them go 1320' bouncing all over the track was great. I didn't care what the e.t.'s were it was just like I was going back in time to my first drag race. Mr. Hartman, were you there? If you were I am sorry I didn't look you up. I didn't even know Richard was driving until after the races sunday.

Last edited:
I go to around 20 events a year virgil, and I have six photographers thatw ork with me, and a couple other journalists, so your comment does not wash.
My web site is only one of three that get full time credentials to NHRA Full Throttle events, when there are 20-40 out there claiming to be internet drag racing news site.

You don't have to be an owner to know the inner wrokings, you just have to go to events and watch, study, learn, listern and pay attention.

Just cause I am not kissing your ass and saying how great the IHRA deal is no reason to turn vicious. All I did was post numbers. I also stated you guys has some great runs. Mr. Explosive is a strong team, but I don't have a favorite in the class, I tend to like them all, even the ones that aren't the quickest or fastest.
But that being said, I have worked on a number of TA teams and even got my TAD licence. I started in the sport in 1967 as a track employee, drove when I hit 16, and then after a decade away from the sport got back into it in 1988 when new tracks opened in the NW.

You sure are touchy, why is that?
The funny thing is, is that I like all you have done in the sport when you were running a family team back a decade ago.Your daughter and son and son in law were and are favorites. I was just pointing out a few things you omitted about the nitro jam deal.

Too bad you can't take a bit of additions to your post.

Also, you seem to be of the ilk and that surprises my, that the tone on the internet is not necessarily meant the way you read it, tones can not be interpreted correctly and based on your responce you did not get mine.
Maybe if you actually read SpeedZone instead of just trashing it you would get the passion and jist of my writing.

Dean
Dean

Personally I thought the funny cars were awesome. I hope down the road they make them 16 car fields. Sure its nice to see 5.80's out of all of them, but it was even better seeing the backpedaling and all. The only problem I had with the whole thing was having to run our first elimination round after the jets ran. I know they kept saying that the track was fine, but there were some very close calls in top dragster from cars that did not have any troubles earlier in the day. In my opinion the jets should be the last thing down the track. Other than that I agree with Mr. Hartman. It didn't look to me that any teams were holding back performance. They ran what the track allowed them to run. Seems like the crowds enjoyed them as well. It was hard to even get to the staging lanes sometimes, but was good to see.

Dean - I can't think of a tone or inflection that would allow me to take your post in any other way than the way I took it, as an attempt, whether successful or not, to discredit me, what I said and the subject that I posted about.

Call it touchy, but my reply was just in response to your post. Mayby you misread my tone?

With your experience, how did you miss the fact that no matter what type of race car you have, sometimes things just don't go as planned? And since you believe that everyone should be able to run world record times all the time, every time, with your experience why haven't I heard about your racing endeavors? (sarcastic tone)

Should Terry McMillan apologize for his win against Dixon yesterday? And for that matter Dixon also, because neither ran a representitive time for the class on that run. (sarcastic tone) And what about the others that had less than spectacular runs yesterday? (again sarcasm)

I am of the opinion that a good journalist presents his findings in a neutral manner, telling the story with the facts that he/she knows, admitting what they don't know and lets the reader decide for him/her self how they feel about the event. When the writer is slanted one way or the other, everything they write becomes tainted with a bias. Again, this is just my opinion, and I exercise my right to chose what I read, listen to, watch, participate and attend. And I never want to interfere with any one else's rights while I am enjoying mine.

Eric - you may take exception to my statement, but ask the live spectators (not participants) at the end of an event what the times ran were, and I think you find over 90% will not know or get them wrong. At the same time about 70% won't know who beat who, except for the overall winner, maybe.
But ask the people with nothing invested in the event, the ones that stay at home riding their computer, and they will know every time, what lane, who won, the attendance, the success/failure of an event, and have a strong opinion on whether or not each competitor is running their team (race promoter also) correctly.

Attendees at any event, whether it is a movie, rock concert, stick and ball, auto racing, or tractor pull, is there to have their senses stimulated, be wowed with the unexpected, and to feel involved. Nitro will do that, whether it is a car warming up in the pits or running down a track at any speed.

Mike - It would be wrong of the competitors to use any excuse for not running the number every time. Jets, even a 3 engine truck that deposits exhaust remnants all over the pits, shouldn't have an effect on the way your car runs, or for that matter, the taste of any food that you may consume at the track. (very sarcastic tone)

Richard really enjoys driving. Our only loss this year was at PBIR when Richard was amped up to leave on Peter and he red lit.

I think NHRA bullied Epping into signing early and now Epping management might be having second thoughts.

No second thoughts Virgil. This was the direction they wanted to go for a few years now, but honored their commitment to IHRA. All track improvements over the past 4-5 years have all been to NHRA specs.

BTW, I love the Prostalgia cars!! I wish we could get out to the March Meet, bu its not in the cards this year.

I think it is great that there is a place to race for nitro burners that dont have multi million dollar budgets. I love the nostalgia cars (from the funny cars all the way to nostalgia super stocks---probably because I am old) and I agree with Virgil that the nitro cars are there to stimulate your senses, which they do whether they are on the jack stands in the pits or going down the track. I know its all about entertainment, but racers being racers, it is still real racing. We worked with the Super Chevy shows in the late 80's and early 90's and even with booked in cars, believe you me, they were still really racing. I look forward to Memphis reopening and having an IHRA event. And I will get out behind the keyboard and attend LOL.:D

Virgil, the only reason I took exception was because of the websites I run...lol...Other than that I completely agree with what you have said. :)

So I was the announcer for the Nitro Jam at Baton Rouge (here's the part where I duck to avoid the rotten tomatoes, bricks, moltov cocktails, and men's underwear :D )

It was a riot from start to finish.

The place was jammed to the point of bursting on Saturday night and had a respectable crowd on Sunday. I know there's a portion of the population that thinks the Nitro Jam series is the worst thing to happen to drag racing since the inception of the throttle stop, but I couldn't disagree more. That show entertained the hell out of people and I think it is a shameful charge to say that any of the people at that even in competition were doing anything less than working their asses off and running hard.

I am friendly with one of the A/Fuel teams that were running the race and they worked just as hard and were just as thorough and tried to run just as big a number as they could like at any other race. Mark Sanders and crew blew a bunch of **** up, and thrashed like Charlie Sheen on the good stuff to get their junk back together for the next round, to the point of drafting crowd help! (How's THAT for nostalgia!)

Lagana and Litton ripped down the strip in fine fashion (except for the lap that saw Litton finishing ahead of Lagana in Bobby's lane).

Hero laps or not, the Prostalgia boys and girls put on one HELL of a show and the feedback from the crowd was very positive as I spoke to people at the close of the night on Saturday.

I'm just ranting and raving now and these guys and girls are grown ups who need no one to defend them (especially some junky two-bit announcer) but they all left blood sweat and tears on that strip in Louisiana, I saw it with my own eyes, and they deserve as much credit as any racer in any series across the country.

Brian

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back