Taking Dives................ (1 Viewer)

just one more "joy" of our new fake championships.

Was it clean? Was it a dive? Who knows but just the fact that we question this as well as other races damages the sport. How does it draw new fans and sponsors if they races are even perceived as being less then clean? What once was the quiet, dirty secret that may happen a few times a year is now making several passes suspicious.

Did Cruz dive? Did Chip cut a bad light on purpose to make it look good?
Nobody knows

Have I mentioned that I hate the countdown and think we should go back to a truer method:D

Now PJ... you know that diving isn't allowed. NHRA sent out a letter to all the teams. That settles it! ;) ;) ;)

It would put a sour taste in my mouth if the car I worked on took a dive as the crew is the one who does not get that round money in their yearly-end bonus....The only person who would know if a car was set-up to get loose/dive would be the crewchief and owner...And if the team knew the owner took a dive most of em would be handing out their resumes before seasons end...IMO

Is it too late to say This should be a two car Shoot-Out between Robert and Ron with Tony as the dark horse?

Welcome to todays episode of "As the Slicks Turn":eek::D
You sure about that title?? I thought it was "As the Slick Chunks" or Maybe NHRA needs to move to the DISCOVERY channel? "Welcome to the world of skilled diving" ;):D

just one more "joy" of our new fake championships.
Have I mentioned that I hate the countdown and think we should go back to a truer method:D

Since Force's crash there hasn't been much Countdown crying. I am glad to see we are slowly getting back to our normal bitching and crying selves.

Since Force's crash there hasn't been much Countdown crying. I am glad to see we are slowly getting back to our normal bitching and crying selves.

Nope Paul, not whinnin' or cryin'...

Just accepted... In the long run, It doesn't Matter... Ron Capps will never win a Championship...

Yeah.............and once again I'm beginning to find the same program on several channels.:cool:

Why when the discussion on "Diving" comes up I feel likeJUMPING!!!???:eek:;)

Sigh........

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...................

Either that or we can surrender our freedoms.....................:rolleyes:

REX

Paul, Kelly...

I'd love to see Ron win it all, I really would... and this should have been his year... but Ron and Ace are both 'Snake Bit'.... to lead the points most of the Year, then have it all taken away for the DRAMA FACTOR... that's BS and we all know it... If it was just Ron and Robert, as much of a Robert fan as I am, I Think Ron and Ace would have done it this year...

Yeah, now Luck plays more into who's the Champ than Talent... and it's stupid little things that have been bitting Ron and Ace in the @$$...

Sorry, but I think Ron got himself screwed out of his championship season... all to try to expand a fan base by being a 'Me Too'...

When I said Ron will never win a championship, it's was because I'm pissed that his best chance yet was jerked out from under him...

Karl

Been biting my tongue for two weeks all because I didnt want to be the whinner that most would have made me out to be.

My sig says it all! In my opinion team orders and multi car teams have ruined the sport of Drag Racing.

Been biting my tongue for two weeks all because I didnt want to be the whinner that most would have made me out to be.

My sig says it all! In my opinion team orders and multi car teams have ruined the sport of Drag Racing.

Tell me Steve, What 'Multi Car Team' took a Dive? Are you saying not more than ONE person in a family can run in the same class? No Brothers? No brother and sister in laws? no father daughter? No husband and wife? No cousins?

Gee, we just about emptied the Pro Nitro pits...

Wake Up... Multi Car Teams are the only thing keeping Nitro racing fields full...
Does the same apply to Sportsman racing?

d'kid

PAUL! Go Brut Revolution Team! Ace and Ron are good enough and strong enough to prove them wrong!

HEY Hey hey................KAY Kay kay............;)

I like Ron and 'Ace.........Gary and Jack too..........

(Not a great fan of the EEEEEEEeeeevillllllllll Empire though......) :rolleyes::D

After last year's "incident" I "put my money where my mouth was".........

and donated $100 smackers to DRAW in RC's behalf..............if ya' recall.:)

Ron and Ace are a couple of the Good Guys, IMO

REX

Does the same apply to Sportsman racing?

Dives are relatively common in Sportsman racing - father/son, brother/brother, teammates, husband/wife, you name it, I've seen it: -.500 red lights, .500 lights, no-shows, drive-throughs, bogus dial-ins (either ridiculously quick or ridiculously slow). Whether it's "he/she has a shot at a championship" or "I've got my Wally, it's your turn," or "I sold you that engine, go ahead and win," or "I loaned you that engine, you better not beat me," or "it's my team, I pay the bills," it's a fact of life and usually not disguised.

Used to be when a David Nickens customer was in contention for the Comp championship, the pits would be full of Nickens cars (customers and family) "blocking" for the potential champ. And, strangely, none of them ever lost to the potential champion.

I know, those same matchups are also often the most fiercely contested battles, for bragging rights. Depends on the situation and whether the win means a lot more to one of the two drivers than the other.

For that matter, splitting the winner/runner-up purse is also a common Sportsman practice, especially at the big-money races. Sportsman racing may not be "about the money" at that level, but when the final round pays a lot more for the win than the runner-up, it is. Sometimes the split goes back another round, the semifinalists agreeing to a three- or four-way split so everybody makes money. Then the final round is all about who gets the trophy and the picture, the money has already been allocated.

Bottom line - you can mandate "no obvious dives," but you can't make a "no dives" rule stick because you can't enforce it unless the two drivers are up front about one of them taking a dive.

It's always been a "problem" this time of year, but the current championship format accentuates the value of a single round win and makes every unevenly contested matchup suspect if it involves one of the shrinking list of championship contenders. It may be dramatic, but the manufactured pressure also ups the ante on questionable tactics.

Even if every pair from here to the final round at Pomona is absolutely, fairly contested, as fiercely as possible by both drivers, somebody will always be ready to wink and give the knowing nod if two drivers with a real or perceived relationship meet and the driver with the most to gain gets the win light.

Conspiracy theories? We don't need no stinkin' conspiracy theories, we got Olympic diving going on here! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think this Countdown crap is just the beginning of drag racing's form of corruption. Drag racing has survived for over 50 years without this Countdown. Why change now? Taking dives, team orders, etc. The season isn't over and I hate this system already. And it's only going to get worse. What team member would want to work on a team that may not be "allowed" to win? What sponsor would ever want to be involved with a team that was involved with taking dives?

People get into big time trouble in the stick and ball sports for throwing the outcome of a game. Will drag racing reach that point?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back