NHRA and A/Fuel Funny Car (1 Viewer)

Parity wouldn't be that big of an issue, after the exodus (away from blowers).

I think it's odd that the 5 Racers I mentioned who switched from Dragsters to FC's because of the lack of parity. Yet I can only think of ONE FC Racer(Brandon Lewis) who's switched to A-Fuel Dragster?

Last edited:
Let em run A/FC in comp. See what they can do. Like Jay ran his P/M. Then, after you have a few cars, see what they can do.
Lee
Nitroclovers

I think it's odd that the 5 Racers I mentioned who switched from Dragsters to FC's because of the lack of parity. Yet I can only think of ONE FC Racer(Brandon Lewis) who's switched to A-Fuel Dragster?

I think in Brandon's case the motivation for his move was more along the lines getting a step closer to AA Fuel ride, not by parity or lack thereof.

Randy,
Are you nutz?

Do you need to borrow my stirrin' stick for this thread?

BTW, SIGN ME UP! I'd be back in a flash.

Randy, I agree it is the right move...

Parity? that word will NEVER exsist in drag racing PERIOD!

In every class you will have the front runners and everyone else trying to catch them, it is how it has always been and always will be....

I think Randy G. is looking at it from a business stand-point (which is the only way to look at it....We as sportsman racers can/will spend 8-10K to be at the races to win 12-15K my accountant still thinks I have lost my mind).....and yes folks it is way cheaper to run AFD vs. BAD. I can buy a chit load of nitro for the cost of 6 sets of springs,4 cranks,6 sets of rods and of course a hair dryer....

I would look at building a flop if it could be a AF/FC

KB

Randy, I agree it is the right move...

Parity? that word will NEVER exsist in drag racing PERIOD!

In every class you will have the front runners and everyone else trying to catch them, it is how it has always been and always will be....

I think Randy G. is looking at it from a business stand-point (which is the only way to look at it....We as sportsman racers can/will spend 8-10K to be at the races to win 12-15K my accountant still thinks I have lost my mind).....and yes folks it is way cheaper to run AFD vs. BAD. I can buy a chit load of nitro for the cost of 6 sets of springs,4 cranks,6 sets of rods and of course a hair dryer....

I would look at building a flop if it could be a AF/FC

KB

Kevin are you saying an A-Fuel FC would be cheaper than A-Fuel Dragster?

I think it'd be awesome to see some injected nitro f/c's...Funny cars on 98% would be awesome,and probably a bigger crowd draw than the alky versions.I don't understand,and never have understood why injected fuelers are ok in the dragster class and not in f/c.But of course I'm also in favor of ditching the pro stock motorcycles and bringing in ProMod as a full time Pro class :rolleyes:

Ask Jay Payne, Mic Snider, Don Hutson, Lee Calloway, and Sean O'Bannon why they run FC. Like I said, those who want to run Pop go Dragster, those who like Blowers and there are Racers who still like Blowers. Run in FC!

For all the hoopla that A-Fuel supposedly brought to TAD the car counts have plumeted from 10 years ago. In FC however they are higher than in recent memory. If NHRA ever entertained the idea of A-fuel FC it would kill the class in a season.

I think your comment "If NHRA ever entertained the idea of A-fuel FC it would kill the class in a season" is a tremendous leap. I don't think car counts have "plumeted" in TAD, either. Pomona had a full field with some folks being denied an entry. TA/FC entries ground to a hault with a grade 6. Guys like Bret Williamson had to get in on someone else's entry, and there was still a line 10 deep wanting to get in.

No one is stopping anyone from running a blower. To me, Funny car should have the same option. Don't you think Ashley Force would have been better suited learning to drive in an A/Fuel Funny Car than an A/Fuel dragster if her goal was to ultimately drive a TF/FC in the first place?

A/Fuel Funny Car is not new. I remember seeing them when I was a kid. So...why not? I think it would be fun learning to run it.

RG

No one is stopping anyone from running a blower. To me, Funny car should have the same option. Don't you think Ashley Force would have been better suited learning to drive in an A/Fuel Funny Car than an A/Fuel dragster if her goal was to ultimately drive a TF/FC in the first place?

A/Fuel Funny Car is not new. I remember seeing them when I was a kid. So...why not? I think it would be fun learning to run it.

RG

Since NHRA hasn't maintained parity in Dragsters, how could you expect them to do so in FC?

What size tire/rim combo would be on the back?
How many clutch discs/floaters would be in the pack?
Would the body have the same greenhouse as the AA/FC's?

Thanx, just trying to learn,as I have not seen one of these cars out here on the West coast.

In 1993 we had the national record with our A/FD and had won a couple of national events. We were the only A/FD since the early 80's to have had that level of success in the 90's. My dad had raced Fuel Funny Cars in the 70's. At the end of the year my dad sent a letter to the NHRA Competition Dept. indicating his plans to switch to an A/Fuel Funny Car for 1994. At that time TAD and TAFC had similar rules regarding engine types, head types, and fuel types.

Within a week we got a reply from NHRA stating that TAFC would be an alcohol only class. I think they wrote it into the rulebook at that point too.

I warmed up the Cavalieri's A/F Funny car that they ran in IHRA. I believe it set a speed record the first weekend out. It had an old cracked blower case welded up as a plenum and used a belt and ect to start it. They eventually took the motor and put it in a dragster that I drove at Topeka, it ran '60's and that was in the mid-late 90's. Very cool ride that funny car, wish I could have driven it.

I would build one today if it were legal.

What size tire/rim combo would be on the back?
How many clutch discs/floaters would be in the pack?
Would the body have the same greenhouse as the AA/FC's?

Thanx, just trying to learn,as I have not seen one of these cars out here on the West coast.

These are the kind of questions that can only be answered if we were allowed to do it. NHRA restricts the number of discs to a maximum of 3, I believe (rule book is in the trailer at the shop and I'm at home).

Instead of having to rev it up to 6,500 at the launch and shift at 10,000 even on some of the more marginal tracks, you could just leave from an idle and bog all the way to the finsh line. Might even be able to run some 50's or 40's without tearing everything up.

Night qualifying would be fun watching the header flames all the way down the track. The divisional races might even advertise NITRO and flames and stuff which may even result in a few more butts in the stands along with less oildowns.

RG

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back