Idea for slowing them down & back to 1/4 mile (1 Viewer)

Randy...I like the idea but when people like JFR and DSR have invested big $$$$$ into their programs they do not want to take steps backwards. All of their parts would be junk.

I think if they took away the rear wings and add some weight along w/ no more automated ignition retarding than that would slow em down along w/ removing the rev limiters..

Taking a mag away = dropped cyliders and blown up parts.

Add weight? Simple physics and Gary Scelzi will tell you what it's like to stop a heavier funny car after they added weight this year. Kinda like stopping a big rig heading down the Ridge Route (Grape Vine) which is 6 miles of 6% grade. Right now they weigh as much as a pro stocker does. and pro stockers have working doors, real tailights, a radiator full of water, a hood that comes off and complete working suspension

In making the clutch change only the hat, cannon and whatever other clutch activation timers/devices they have would have to come off. The flywheel, clutch discs, floaters, stands, counterweight, bellhousing, engine, reverser, driveshaft, and everything else including heads, blowers, fuel pumps, mags, rods, pistons, wings, spoilers, splill plates, bodies, parachutes, weight bars, computers, wheelie bars, technology trailers and even the ice chests would remain intact.

All you would need to do is change the hat on the existing clutch and buy some feeler gauges. Maybe $3,000 worth of parts. No brainer.

RG

Whatever the end game will be with limiting performance (no matter the racing distance) NHRA, PRO, and the TEAMS need to get started right now with testing all these theories and ideas. No amount of thinking and pondering will achieve the desired results on the racing surface.

In addition to the performance testing, seems to me that some safety measures need to be given real-world trials as well...like taking some of that ludicrous weight off the cars for starters. Speaking of safety...are the yellow chutes on the JFR cars a new design/material or a tribute to a certain yellow Toyota?

Here's an idea...why not pool funding and resources to create a truly independent test program for the future of nitro racing? Build a Top Fuel and a Funny Car that will be owned and operated by a trust comprised of the NHRA, major component manufacturers (engines, clutches, bodies, chassis, tires, safety items, etc), any team wishing to contribute or be involved, SFI, and other key entities. Said team will conduct testing in a controlled enviroment to evaluate all the ideas floating around and come up with a pair of rules/specifications models from which to create the new packages. Allow crew chiefs and team owners to provide input as well as analyze the data from the test cars.

Joe? Is that you?

Yes this is me, slowing these cars down to 4.90's? What is this 1990? I'm not a fan of 1000' compared to 1/4 believe me, but I'd certainly take it as it is now versus 4.90's! Duane Shields ran a 5.17 in his A/Fuel dragster in Seattle, how will that look at a future race?

Yes this is me, slowing these cars down to 4.90's? What is this 1990? I'm not a fan of 1000' compared to 1/4 believe me, but I'd certainly take it as it is now versus 4.90's! Duane Shields ran a 5.17 in his A/Fuel dragster in Seattle, how will that look at a future race?

How long have you been watching drag racing? seriously.

IDC what any A/Fueler ran. If it ain't blown nitro , it' ain't a show....

I haven't watched one of the races since this 1000' crap started. Unless you count 5 minutes of each out of habit and just to make sure they didn't change back to 1320 . I just can't stand it .

What was the reason for changing from 85% nitro back to 90% ?
Why not knock them down to 60-70% ?

I have noticed people saying that they should make them use parts they used ages ago like smaller this and that and whatever , wouldnt alot of the older crew chiefs who were around when those smallers parts were the norm be able to run them like they use to and still go fast

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back