Funny Car Bodies (1 Viewer)

All the current flopper bodies look alike. It's the detail work used to make them Chargers or Mustangs or whatever that sets each body apart from the other.
I agree with you Dan that when they are all painted up, they pretty much all look the same. But seeing them "naked" here in the shop, the Charger really is quite different from the Monte Carlo's, Mustangs and what-not. They even have 4 door outlines built into the body, something which I had never noticed on TV. The "greenhouse" seems much larger and the side windows are smaller and seem more forward than a traditional car. It's hard to notice this stuff once the rear spoiler is mounted and all the pretty is applied. I don't care for the Charger street car personally. Being an old Mopar man, I feel it disgraces the name of the Charger. We recently mounted a new Mustang body, and I think it was really cool looking just in carbon fiber...mean is the word. But give me the days without 3 acre spoilers and give me a body design that you immediately recognize...alas, they are gone:( :D bOb

I hear ya on the wings. They do look rediculous. Definately room for improvement in that department. I do enjoy checking out the aero packages on those bodies though. With my airplane background, that part of fuel racing definately appeals to me.

I didn't know that the Charger body had 4 door seams. Makes me appreciate the detail on those things even more.

The three Shoe Chargers do look like the Dodges to me, and the sneak peaks of the JFR cars, unskined, do look like my stang, or at least a close cousin.
It's the skins that change the look. The narrow greenhouse? Think it helps from turning the car into a 'lifting body'.... look at all the 'flying floppers' in the late 60/ early 70 era. Heck, I can't tell from a glance what the car next to me on the street is, 90% do look the same.
Look back at 69-73, The long nose Mustangs, mini-chargers, Cude/Challenger (paint the grill) Even Mr.Norm showed up at Indy in 69 with Baracuda Painted on his mini-charger and cuda grill painted on...
Or the several teams that tried T/F style wings at AHRA events

The body lines have blurred its obvious, but I think it has a lot to do with the body style of cars today. Besides the headlights and taillights can you really tell the difference between cars today. Gone are the original body styles of the 50's and 60's when it really meant something to have a beautifully styled automobile.

Where have all the great car designers gone? :(

After reading some/most of the posts here and what I saw on the drive home yesterday, I have come to the conclusion that the body I'd most like to see turned into a FC would be the Chrysler Crossfire. I'm sure there's probably some good aero reason though why a fastback wouldn't be a "good thing" but I think it'd look great.

Race a 53 Stude with a 70 vette front end... no wait, that's been done...
Or stick an Allison Aircraft motor in a Mustang... nope that was done too

Why did they earn the name Funny Car again? :rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back