Funny Car Bodies (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Have you guys seen the new Camaro on the road? It's crazy wild looking. I was wondering if we will only see it in Super class or Pro Mod type cars. The new retro Mustang has made a huge impact on both Nitro and Alky FCs, and on the street it competes with the new Challenger and Camaro, so it would be cool to see these other cars used in the FC classes as well. Any thoughts? I know it's all about Aero, but geez they make FC bodies out of the 4 door Charger, so why not the Challenger?

The Mustang and Challenger are nicely designed retro rods. The Camaro looks like no Camaro I have ever seen. Another mistake by Government Motors. Sad deal.

I actually went along for a ride in a bright red new Camaro SS here in Melbourne earlier this week and I've got to say it was a very, very impressive car.

A lot of the work was done by Holden over here and we've lined up a '68 and new Camaro before and there's no mistaking its DNA.

LHcamaro2_wideweb__470x277,0.jpg

They would also make an awesome race car, I'd love to see a Pro Mod version.

Last edited:
You really don't see a 1st gen resemblence in the 2010 Camaro?????
No where near what the Ford pulled off with the Mustang. To me it looks like a "cartoon" character. Huge mistake.
If that car looked more like a 69 Camaro, they could have cleaned up on sales.
There`s a reason you cant drive more than 15 minutes down the interstate without seeing a new Mustang.

No where near what the Ford pulled off with the Mustang. To me it looks like a "cartoon" character. Huge mistake.
If that car looked more like a 69 Camaro, they could have cleaned up on sales.
There`s a reason you cant drive more than 15 minutes down the interstate without seeing a new Mustang.

You are aware of the current economic status of this country, right? It's going to take a while before auto sales start up again. There is a reason you see many more Mustang's, it's been around 5 years longer than the Camaro or the Challenger. IMO the only mistake GM made, was waiting far too long.

I actually went along for a ride in a bright red new Camaro SS here in Melbourne earlier this week and I've got to say it was a very, very impressive car.

A lot of the work was done by Holden over here and we've lined up a '68 and new Camaro before and there's no mistaking its DNA.

LHcamaro2_wideweb__470x277,0.jpg

They would also make an awesome race car, I'd love to see a Pro Mod version.

2009camarocq8.jpg

You are aware of the current economic status of this country, right? It's going to take a while before auto sales start up again. There is a reason you see many more Mustang's, it's been around 5 years longer than the Camaro or the Challenger. IMO the only mistake GM made, was waiting far too long.
May 09 sales:
Mustang : 8,812
Camaro : 5,463

Listen, I`m no Ford "fanboy". I bought and raced a 66 SS Impala, 67 & 72 Camaro, and 74 Laguna SS454.
When it comes to the look of the new Camaro, GM designers must have been in the middle of watching Pixar`s "Cars" movie , and decided to go design a car.
The Mustang proved that making a true retro design will sell cars. The 2010 Camaro has very little of the faithful 60s look.
There`s more resemblance to a Cadillac XLR than any retro Camaro.

The Mustang has always been an iconic car in the United States. Other than maybe the late 70's to mid 80's("Smokey and the Bandit" years), I can't imagine Camaro sales ever being higher than Mustang sales.

It was never GM's intent to design a complete retro car.

It's to bad the Z28 version will probably never be built.

If I were 10 years younger. I'd be in the market for the new Camaro, but now it's ZO6 Corvette or bust for me.

I bought one of the new style Mustangs and I love it. It's the best car I have ever owned by far. I love the new camaro too and already sat in one. I'll buy one once they are on the used car market (as long as it came from Capitol Auto Group that is).

Last edited:
It was never GM's intent to design a complete retro car.
Yes, that was my original point , saying how I felt if they did , it might rival the Mustang in sales.
Again, with the favorable response Ford already proved to a retro model , why wouldn`t you go that route?

May 09 sales:
Mustang : 8,812
Camaro : 5,463

Listen, I`m no Ford "fanboy". I bought and raced a 66 SS Impala, 67 & 72 Camaro, and 74 Laguna SS454.
When it comes to the look of the new Camaro, GM designers must have been in the middle of watching Pixar`s "Cars" movie , and decided to go design a car.
The Mustang proved that making a true retro design will sell cars. The 2010 Camaro has very little of the faithful 60s look.
There`s more resemblance to a Cadillac XLR than any retro Camaro.

I did not accuse you of being a "fanboy", so I'm not sure where that even came from. The new Camaro was never supposed to be "retro", unlike the Mustang or the Challenger, which is almost a carbon copy with modern features. Personally, I like the new Camaro, has a stealth fighter look to it. I'd love to have one, but right now there's no chance of that happening. I'm not sure about accurate sales #'s, but if what you posted is close, then it's not as bad as I was thinking. Plus there's a lot of factors in the Camaro being behind: quantity, dealer mark-up, GM nearly out of business, lack of qualified buyers, ect.

Back to the original post, I'd love to see some new Camaro race cars, especially in Funny Car. It's a shame GM didn't develop a drag package for the Camaro, talk about Super Stock shootout! In a perfect world, I would love to see Pro Stock populated with Camaro's, Challenger's, and Mustang's, but, I'm constantly reminded that the world isn't perfect.

Steve, you cant compare monthly sales. The camaro shipments have been spotty at best but now that the BK has gone through and the money goes to the new company I'm sure that the camaro will step up.:)

I did not accuse you of being a "fanboy", so I'm not sure where that even came from.
No, I was only saying that as a "disclaimer".
I didnt mean for it come across as an accusation.
I wanted to make sure you knew I have been a Chevy guy for 30 years and not one of those few Ford guys that think Ford can do no wrong (I know one personally :eek: ) .
I do hope when availability becomes more prevalent, the Camaro sales take off so I can save face with fore mentioned friend.

friend of mine just took delivery of his new camaro w/ground effects pkg.
he loves it - it looks *****in' (camaro).
his is #502

Yes, that was my original point , saying how I felt if they did , it might rival the Mustang in sales.
Again, with the favorable response Ford already proved to a retro model , why wouldn`t you go that route?

Maybe, maybe not, we'll have to wait and see what the sales end up like.

Retro or no retro, the Mustang will always have the jump because of it's great history.

Like everything else, some will love the new Camaro some won't. Myself, I can absolutely see it's '60s heritage yet I think GM a great job of making the new version with it's own personality, and that's not easy to do. My real reason for starting this thread was this: Why wouldn't there be a FC version of the new Camaro as well as the Challenger? I know the stock Mustang is small, but the 4-door Charger isn't. I mean in Funny Car it almost doesn't matter what the stock dimensions and aero qualities are, they are morphed into a modern deal anyway, so why not use the other new retro cars that compete with the 'Stang on the street? I myself don't like the big cars like the Charger and Impala as FCs. The rooflines are way too long. As far as the current Fighter Jet Canopy type FC bodies of today, I think the Mustangs and the Monte Carlos are the best looking.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back