Funny Car Bodies (1 Viewer)

Okay I understand now. Thanks. :)

They couldn't really do that in funny car though.

I don't see why not. Come into F/C with a bunch of factory supported teams, monster aero program, hire some of the sports biggest names. They could price every current team right out of the class. Their F1 tire budget would be probably be enough to do it. Will they? Doubtful, yes. Possible? I think so... and I don't like it.

Edit, dug this link out which gives part of Jack's case.

Last edited:
I don't see why not. Come into F/C with a bunch of factory supported teams, monster aero program, hire some of the sports biggest names. They could price every current team right out of the class. Their F1 tire budget would be probably be enough to do it. Will they? Doubtful, yes. Possible? I think so... and I don't like it.

You're right, but like you said, it's "doubtful." I don't see what major gains Toyota could get from fuel racing. I think it'd be cool to them and others like Honda, etc. out there, but not like the example you've given.

Naz...
Unless Toyota lobbys to develope their own motor... then the cost will sky rocket... What's in it for Toyota if just a body... Wrong Market I believe, and they can't show off their engineering

Yeah and this is the same guy who has 6 Cup teams...talk about raising the cost of racing....I'd like to hear some former Cup team owners opinions on multi-car Cup teams of Hendricks, Roush etc...

Naz...
Unless Toyota lobbys to develope their own motor... then the cost will sky rocket... What's in it for Toyota if just a body... Wrong Market I believe, and they can't show off their engineering

Very true Karl.
NHRA would never let them develope their own motor for competetion (or maybe I should never say never), but I also don't see why Toyota would ever want to go the engine route in NHRA fuel racing.

I don't see why not. Come into F/C with a bunch of factory supported teams, monster aero program, hire some of the sports biggest names. They could price every current team right out of the class.
Whadda ya' think is going on right now?

To me it just sounds like the chickens coming home to roost.

Agree, a Vett would be cool. If they release the new Challenger, I'd like that. Maybe a Vipor.

I second the motion of the new Challenger. Maybe it will replace the Charger when it comes out in 2 years. It is a bad looking car.

All the current flopper bodies look alike. It's the detail work used to make them Chargers or Mustangs or whatever that sets each body apart from the other.

Frankly, I don't care if the bodies look like the car they're patterned after. That's part of the evolution of the class.

Personally, I always like the Cutlass bodies. Made a good looking pro stock car too.

Whadda ya' think is going on right now?

To me it just sounds like the chickens coming home to roost.

Good point - I just didn't see where adding Toyota into the mix would help anything. I see what you're saying about the multi-car teams. It's a real concern. However, without teams like DSR, Melanie, Angelle and Antron all would be sitting on the sidelines. It's a double-edged sword.

Just a quick note on bodies.
If you wanted to make your own GM body, you would have to get permission from GM. You could not do it without their permission. This permission would be impossible. They want way more $$ than you could ever make, and you would have to have the connections.
Lets say you make it without their permission. They will file a lawsuit against you that you could not win.
If you do get their permission, there is a fee that you have to pay them every time you pop a body out of the mold. (And it isn't a couple of hundred dollars.)
Not to mention trying to get the design past and approved by the NHRA.
Until these things change, we will see the same three bodies. They will rotate what they are at the time (ie. Stratus to Charger, Firebird to Monte) but that is what we will live with.

I think the large shelf wings need to go as do the current "greenhouses" and have all the cars look exactly like thier real counterparts.This aero crap has gone too far.Same with Pro Stock.What I hope happens there is that we end up with the Challenger,Mustang and Camaro as the cars that will run,and at the real sizes.

what if nhra changed the rules and let any year and make in. and all the cars having a certain amount of aero packages to use. not as rad as pro mod but enough to keep them stable at speed.

The way I see it is any change in the current NHRA funny car class to make the car look more like the cars they are modeled after is a WELCOME change. Not to mention more styles of bodies.

Yeah and this is the same guy who has 6 Cup teams...talk about raising the cost of racing....I'd like to hear some former Cup team owners opinions on multi-car Cup teams of Hendricks, Roush etc...

Thats too funny yeah he has no room to speak about raising costs.....but then again this is the age of "buying your championships"

You're right, but like you said, it's "doubtful." I don't see what major gains Toyota could get from fuel racing. I think it'd be cool to them and others like Honda, etc. out there, but not like the example you've given.

A lot of people are nervous about what happens if the cash-rich Japanese makers decide to get serious about getting involved with drag racing.

When Toyota went to get their V8 engine approved from NASCAR, be aware that there was not a single production part in it. From accounts of those close to the situation, Toyota got samples of each of the domestic manufacturers blocks and heads. They took the best features from each, threw in some Formula 1 engineering and submitted the parts.

I understand that each manufacturer's liason jaw dropped when they saw what was approved. With cross-bolted mains, deep crankcase webs and more, it looked more like a Formula engine than a beefed-up production piece.

Until the last race, Toyota held 1 through 5 in the truck standings. As of today, they hold first through third with 6 trucks in the top ten. They've been racing in the series for only a couple of years.

Interestingly enough, when I just checked the NASCAR site, the make of vehicle was not listed in the standings. I'm pretty sure it had always been listed before.

I'm not sure progress is always a good thing. IF one of the Asian manufacturers decided to get serious and offer boatloads of cash to the NHRA, don't think they wouldn't have a competitive line of entries in the fuel classes or Pro Stock -- with their Toyota engines.

Have you guys been sleeping Toyota is already in the mix for Funny car. Jerry Toliver drove a TuRD to a win in Pomona(no offense Jerry I still like you as a driver). Worshams have tested a TuRD as well. :D

Gerry K, the cars are way too fast now to allow amatuers to fiddle with the aerodynamics. Someone could/would get injured or killed in short order. Some things about the old days (& stock type bodies) have been forgotten by some & unfortunately there were some well known & some not so well known drivers that lost their lives in the early F/C efforts.
The deal with the Stone Cold car is, you're both right. Jerry Toliver used several body styles interchangeably along with the various "wrestlers" mugs, throughout his WWF tenure. There were the Firebirds (old & new style), Cameros (at least two different styles) & of course the Corvette. Different "wrestlers" would show up on different cars as the year, & fires, progressed..............."HIP"

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back