NHRA and A/Fuel Funny Car (2 Viewers)

Everyone got involved calling Len Imbrogno at NHRA back when the idiotic rule was proposed, but a couple of people who thought they knew more than everyone else got it through. RG

Your not talking about Bob Devour and Bob Newberry are you? I heard the whole 92% deal was an attempt to lure more Roots blower cars. Guess it bombed!:confused:

Look, NHRA ignored the complaint about 85% until enough racers *****ed about it! I can't believe Len Imbrugno thinks the Alky FC racers are such dumbasses that if 25 of the Top 30 sign a HAND written proposal, that he'll just say Tough ****! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Joe, what you're saying seems logical, except NHRA hasn't been known to reverse many decisions. I'm still shocked (but happy) that they are letting 90% back in.

Joe, what you're saying seems logical, except NHRA hasn't been known to reverse many decisions. I'm still shocked (but happy) that they are letting 90% back in.

Oh I agree it is a shock that NHRA would ever admit a mistake! But Len Imbrugno's a former racer, you'd think he'd understand this stuff as well as anybody. Asking imput from racers should be his priority #1! I guess thing's change once you work for NHRA!

This has been a very interesting thread.
The one comment I would would make is, when we ran the A-Fuel Funny Car in IHRA it was the most fun I've had in racing in my 20 years of working on race cars.
It took several races to figure out the combination but after that it was all fun. Was it cheaper for us compared to the previous years running an alcohol funny car, no. But it would have, had Mr. Bill Bader kept his WORD.
When it's right you can almost run the spark plugs a second time.
I think it would add to the excitement of NHRA. However, it would also add to the controversy.
In my opinion an A-Fuel car should be able to run 5.40s or 5.30s given some of the latest clutch applications.
Another opinin if I may, NHRA will never allow it.:mad:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in Materland.:)

Even if spark plugs went up to $10.00 each, you'd only need 8 more plugs per run with dual plugs. $80.00 per run. I don't think I would need to add an extra crew member to gap 8 more plugs per run.

Offset that with 60-80 runs on a set of rods instead of 15-25. Same with pistons. BTW, in TA/FC titanium springs are north of a $1,000 for "8" springs and will get you just over a dozen runs. In A/Fuel a set of 16 red stripes (springs) can be run most of the year and they are $600 for "16" of them. Ditto on lifters, blower belts, tranny sprags, tin work on the body when you drop an intake valve...which splits the body and blows the hatch in the air, broken windshields. Then there's blower maintenance, etc.

But...It's not about expense. It's about a new option that should be considered. A good lap in a TA/FC is 5.50's to 5.40's. Should be the same with injected nitro.

We cycle parts all the time. Switching combinations would just be part of the cycle. To make the switch you'd be removing more parts than you'd be adding, anyway. If you like blown alcohol (which I obviously do) then stay with it. But allow the rest the option to run A/FC if they chose.

RG

Options? You have an option to run TAFC the way it's been for years, or not. Ask the Santos family what NHRA did with their options, while we're on that topic. If it wasn't for John Constanza's legal team back in the mid 90's, A/Fuel might not even be an option in TAD right now.

Sure you save on rotating assembly. Like mentioned in my post, if you're going to compare the savings on one side, don't fail to mention the increases. Plugs, ignition, fuel, clutch and tires all cost more when running a/f.

TAFC has long been regarded as the ultimate driver class. Participation is at the highest it's been in a long time. I think that far outweighs justifying it by 'options'

Sure you save on rotating assembly. Like mentioned in my post, if you're going to compare the savings on one side, don't fail to mention the increases. Plugs, ignition, fuel, clutch and tires all cost more when running a/f.

Will:

I did mention it. See my spark plug comments.

Tires and fuel and one more mag don't offset much compared to belts, sprags, springs, valve train parts like chasing keepers and retainers, lifters, firewalls, windshields, dash boards and burst panels (body, that is) when those parts fall off, plus the related head and block repairs, plus blower maintenance (you may want to ask Harker what he spends to keep his blower competitive including the first go-round).

When you are actually the guy writing the checks for this stuff you keep better track of it. Speaking to former TAD racers like Dwayne Shields who switched to A/FD (who also writes the checks for this stuff) may enlighten one.

But, for me...I think it would be a lot of fun just figuring it out.

RG

Last edited:
I can't believe Len Imbrugno thinks the Alky FC racers are such dumbasses that if 25 of the Top 30 sign a HAND written proposal, that he'll just say Tough ****! :rolleyes:

Well, Joe...that's basically what happened in 2000 for the 2001 year. And it still went through. Ask anyone.

Last edited:
Brian, I remember that car when Scott was driving it on the IHRA circuit, it was very cool. I can't believe that a combination couldn't be ballparked to have A/FCs run 50s for starters, but I know it's not a perfect science, and it's somewhat of a moving target. I disagree with those who don't like the sound of A/Fuelers, I think they sound strong, and not just idling. I remember being at Indy a couple of years ago and thinking how far they've come. It seemed a few years ago, they ONLY sounded good cackling at an idle, and maybe it's just me, but now it seems like when they leave the line, they really thunder. Not sure if it's more RPMs than in years past or what, but that's how it seems to me.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back