Qualifying show (1 Viewer)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
So what do we discuss first

WJ comments about nitro- yes he made these before but has it been on camera?

4 wide- I was surprised that they even brought up this type of controversy, kudos to nhra for allowing it to be discussed which leads to

The espn 4 wide poll-wonder if nhra wants fan vote against it to help ease any possible tensions with Bruton? Since they first announced it on air it has gone from 59% to 63% however the voting numbers are still low (less than 2k) Racing Schedule, News, Results, and Drivers - Motorsports - ESPN I would imagine the numbers will go up if it is left up and mentioned during the telecast tomorrow.

Hagan-Did anyone know that hagan and Diel lost their bodies last week. I was so happy to several more replays:rolleyes:

Page- oh why bother

Tony P's comments-is he right? if he's that worried should he still be driving?

I suppose that will keep us busy until something ticks us off on the next telecast :)

Dunn's face when they cut back to the booth says it all..

4 wide- I was surprised that they even brought up this type of controversy, kudos to nhra for allowing it to be discussed which leads to

The espn 4 wide poll-wonder if nhra wants fan vote against it to help ease any possible tensions with Bruton? Since they first announced it on air it has gone from 59% to 63% however the voting numbers are still low (less than 2k) Racing Schedule, News, Results, and Drivers - Motorsports - ESPN I would imagine the numbers will go up if it is left up and mentioned during the telecast tomorrow.

The negativity towards four-wide was there, didn't see or at least don't remember any positive feedback on it. They trimmed Bruton's quote back a bit, but I didn't expect them to actually show the "What's IHRA doing that weekend" part of it.

Hagan-Did anyone know that hagan and Diel lost their bodies last week. I was so happy to several more replays:rolleyes:

I heard through the grapevine that Hight and Arend traded paint at Charlotte, but I didn't see it in the show yesterday so must not of happened. :rolleyes:

Page- oh why bother

I believe he said something along the lines of "We turned up the wick and it blew up"
Ok, so is that NHRA's fault or the tuner's fault? How old were the rods, was there a manufacturing defect? Are the suppliers cutting back costs due to the limited amount of customers due to reduced fields?
We all KNEW that the tuners would eventually shorten the fuse on these beasts. What about everybody else running into the low 0's without a boomer. Yes they happen, but they have always happened.

I suppose that will keep us busy until something ticks us off on the next telecast :)

Please see above in BOLD

Ok...i dont post on here much but....i decided to because of this 4-wide thing. Heres my opinion of it....i loved it! I thought it was something new and interesting. To be honest after the end of the season i could have cared less if i ever wathced the NHRA again. Heres my reasons...1) the countdown(total garbage) 2)the friday qualifing format (if you cant get in...too bad) 3)1,000 ft racing(total joke...1320 or nothing). So Bruton comes up with a new idea to make in interesting......but lets all be a bunch of whiners. I loved Warrens comments and he was right...but isnt that the pot calling the kettle black? Warren johnson is the biggest jerk and the biggest whiner out there....but he was right. And like Mike Dunn said the christmas tree is the same.It shouldnt matter who is in the other lane...or 3 lanes....your job is to cut a good light and run it as hard as you can to the other end know matter what! Correct? And the whole excuse for safety...what a joke. THe drivers know EVERY TIME they get into that car they are strapping themselves into A BOMB!!!!!! If your afraid GET OUT!!!!!!! QUIT WHINING!!!!!
So now with all the whining and crying the drivers and pro have pissed of one of the biggest supporters of our sport........NICE GOING GUYS!!!! If i was Bruton id say you know what.......Screw you guys ill take my money else where and we will see how fast this sport DIES!!!!! You cant do that to a guy like him thats invested SOOOOO much into this sport.......STUPID....STUPID....STUPID. I know that most of you guys on here hated the 4 wide....and thats fine....but i loved it and it got my enthused about the sport that that i had lost all interest in.Now with all the whining and crying about it by everyone im right back to the way i was feeling at the end of last year..Sorry but thats the way i feel. I used to live for drag racing...everything in my life revolved around it from racing on the weekends to NEVER missing a race on tv.
Plain simple fact is NHRA and the drivers have ruined this sport. First thing they need to do is go back to 1320ft. I mean come on....look at the speeds they are running! And now they are blowing up just as much...if not more that before...just like The Snake said they would. So what the hell is the point?
Well anyway this is just my point of view on this and after watching all the different threads i just thought id shared my opinion.......flame away.....joe

He sure has...Yes, the NHRA "BIG SHOW" is pretty much about the BIG CARS, but remember they represent about 1% of all racers in the NHRA. NHRA Drag Racing is NOT run as a democracy, but i'd wager a cold soda if you had a door counter on the total amount of visits to NHRA race control during a National Event, the majority of those making 'complaint visits' would have nitro on the brain..

It's called fair and balanced reporting of the facts PJ. It's what news media is supposed to do. ESPN 2 has done a good job of discussing the facts, even if they do not portray the ASSOCIATION in the most positive light.

You answered your own question with what is in bold in your sentence PJ. 2000 people have taken the time to answer this pole question. If it goes above 10K for the weekend, I'll be shocked. Let's assume each NHRA event draws in 50K over a 3-4 day weekend. There are 23 events per year. This gives us over 1 million fans per season. DO YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO CARE ABOUT THE VOTING RESULTS OF LESS THAN 1 PERCENT OF THE FAN BASE?

What's that old saying...if you can't win, be spectacular in defeat? Works for me..

Page- oh why bother

Didn't notice any significant issues PJ....and he has improved quite a bit over last year.... did you give him the chance to improve?

YES TONY P IS RIGHT. A bit dramatic as usual, but he is correct. According to NHRA, the purpose of racing to 1000' was to minimize CATASTROPHIC ENGINE FAILURE. Snake was 100 percent correct when he said last year, "THEY'LL BLOW EM UP AT 1000' soon enough" What is contributing CATASTROPHIC ENGINE FAILURE? Bad Parts? Bad tune-ups? Lubricants that can't protect metal effectively because they are being washed off by a heavy solvent with volume like Nitro?

What ever it is, changes need to be made. It's come to that point where the wick is being turned WAY TO HIGH. But that's drag racing. So shorten the wick. Take away one mag, give em a smaller fuel pump, give them an oil that CAN protect metal effectively even when cylinder wash occurs :cool:...and go racing.

I doubt it... it's the mater after all..

I've followed Brian's lead... Discussion in bold type

After watching the Houston qualifying last night, I hate 4-wide racing even more. I could follow everything that happened on the track during those 2-wide runs (as long as the camera was on it). Much better camera angles too. Can't say that for 4-wide. You needed several replays to see what happened in the other lanes.

Regarding T. Ped., who knows what the answer is to preventing explosions but what could anyone come up with that wouldn't piss off other racers...and maybe the fans? I would really like to see the FC racers take the huge wing off their cars (or, at least, drastically reduce it's size) so it would look more like a real car. That would force them to reduce power. But due to the safety issue they can't. One mag, lower the max engine size, increase car weight, who knows? But what happens when the NHRA decides to go one step further and reduce the track length to 1/8 mile to prevent the explosions? And they will blow them up at that distance too. That's when I stop watching drag racing.

Registered member said:
Didn't notice any significant issues PJ....and he has improved quite a bit over last year.... did you give him the chance to improve?

Page has been doing NHRA for 4 or 5 years now. He's had his chance. How many of us here could be hired for ANY job and be an abject failure at it for such a long time and be given the chance to strive for mediocrity ... particularly when there are so many subject matter experts around that would completely transform the program in a positive way? Ask anyone around the IRL how happy they were to get Page off their telecasts ...

I am sure Mr. Page is a nice guy, in fact, I have never heard anyone utter a negative word about him as a person ... he is just terrible at his job and has been for a LONG time in multiple sanctions. Again, it doesn't make him a bad guy but it shouldn't mean we have to endure his rambling prattlings either.

Death + Taxes + Paul Page ... it is our cursed lot as drag racing fans. (<---- TShirt idea for Indy?)

Last edited:
Brain- Dunn's face was priceless there
I wouldn't say that there wasn't positive feedeback on it. yes it has been mostly negative but there have been people here, in the press and elsewhere that have liked it.

Tim-
I remeber WJ saying something like that in the past but I thought it was in a written interview and not on camera. Either way its a pretty bold statement.
Yes Nitro is such a small % of entries but it could be argued that it brings in a major % of money from spectators and sponsors. When I go to a divisional race I can pick whatever seat I want, at a national event if nitro isn't running it can become a ghost town. Now does that mean that they should be able to dictate probably not but money talks

We all know media isn't about fair and balanced too often anymore. Now thats not to say that there aren't beacons of light and truth out there but everyone has an angle. I was just saying and giving kudos to them for talking about both sides. They interviewed those for and against it, mentioned the poll,(which gives the fans at least a small voice) I thought that was all great.

Polls and surveys are designed to gather a small portion of results, obviously it is not practical to try to gather a response from everyone who attends a race. Now granted I'm not sure how scientific we can claim an internet poll is but its at least something. The poll is a few under 4k already and has grown to 69% against. I'm a numbers/stats junkie so I like looking at hard figures like this. Not perfect but at least its something. To be honest I am surprised that it has climbed this much against it. I expected a majority against but not this dramatic. If they mention it again tonight on the telecast it will be interesting to see how the number shift.

Nice plug oh master of marketing :)

We have had more bodies pop lately than normal and yes this needs to be something that is looked into. However is it more something that team P is doing wrong and frustration speaking or is it a wider issue?( I don't know, just asking) I've said before that as long as they keep them above 300mph that slowing them down is something that should be looked into, especially if it allows for a chance to get back to 1320.

The Page remark was somewhat tongue in check although not knowing which class was running was sadly funny. NHRA sent a survey out this week, shocking I actually got one(and no I wasn't all negative :p) One question did pertain to the announce booth

The answer to slowing the Nitro cars down is very simple... STOP over prepping the track. Strip it and squirt it ONCE, at the start of the race. Just sweep it between rounds.

You can only use as much HP the track will hold, give them a clean, dry, oil free track.

In the beginning, VHT was just splashed under the Tires In The Bleach Box.

By the way, Paul is just win/lose and run times, which he should be doing. Not really sure if anyone can do play by play in something that happens in less than five seconds in real time, what Mike does is as much true P by P, the only way to do it right is to show the pass real time, then show it again in slo-mo/ stop action. And that is Mike's Job.

d'kid

For those of us that didn't watch the qualifying show~~
What did WJ say and what did Pedregon say?
don't care to discuss PP.
Thanks

Ok...i dont post on here much but....i decided to because of this 4-wide thing. Here's my opinion of it....i loved it! I thought it was something new and interesting. So now with all the whining and crying the drivers and pro have pissed off one of the biggest supporters of our sport........NICE GOING GUYS!!!! If i was Bruton id say you know what.......Screw you guys i'll take my money elsewhere and we will see how fast this sport DIES!!!!! You cant do that to a guy like him thats invested SO much into this sport.......STUPID....STUPID....STUPID. I know that most of you guys on here hated the 4 wide....and thats fine....but i loved it and it got me enthused about the sport that that i had lost all interest in. Plain simple fact is NHRA and the drivers have ruined this sport. First thing they need to do is go back to 1320ft. I mean come on....look at the speeds they are running! And now they are blowing up just as much...if not more than before...just like The Snake said they would. So what the hell is the point?
Well anyway this is just my point of view on this and after watching all the different threads i just thought id shared my opinion.......flame away.....joe

Hey Joe, don't stay away. You sound pretty passionate about the sport. I guess many on the Mater must agree with you....ie: the silent majority..and maybe even the vocal minority, since nobody has FLAMED you since you posted your thoughts. Actually, I have to say I agree with you about the 4-Wide adding plenty of interest to NHRA drag racing. It got me to the race all the way from Florida, and I was really bummed I missed last Fall's race when they decided to do the exhibition 4-Wide runs which a buddy of mine who lives in Charlotte said was awesome to experience. That sold me right then and there, and I was hoping that the Charlotte race they added in March would have 4-Wide exhibition runs again. I got more than I bargained for as Bruton and NHRA made the announcement for the whole race being 4-Wide near the beginning of the year and that made me want to go even more. I can't say that I regret going one bit, although I do agree with some of the points about the format. It was tough to follow 4 cars and realize what was going on, but that is what the big screens and replays are for. I can hardly watch any sport now without instant replays, not just drag racing. I wasn't a competitor and therefore don't have a dog in this hunt when it comes to actually trying to compete in a 4-Wide format, but as a fan, it was quite an awesome spectacle and I wish somehow it transfered from LIVE to TV but that just isn't possible...yet. So, I continue to attend races even though I too have been disappointed over the last 10 years or so with the costs rising and the # of sponsorships diminishing and mega-teams being the only way that Professional nitro drag racing has survived. I think it is time to SERIOUSLY consider slowing these cars down and getting costs lowered vs. running them on the ragged edge all the time to what end? A bogus championship with so little in winnings (even for the final champion) that if a sponsor wasn't footing 90% of the bills, nobody could compete? Yeah, part timers would still show up at a few races for the love of the sport but that won't float a 23-24 race series of 16 cars.

So Joe, we shall see how this all pans out, but the whining sure isn't helping things. Bruton has the best facilities in NHRA (except maybe the Sonoma track as some have mentioned) and I thoroughly enjoy attending races at his tracks so NHRA needs to listen to him and fans need to support him. I just wish the weather would be kinder to him in Charlotte and Bristol ;) as that does play into the attendance. It was darn near winter in Charlotte the last weekend in March in case nobody noticed! Rain and temps in the 50's are not gonna help any outdoor event, especially a drag race.

WOW!! There have been a lot of good and not so good comments on this topic. I am 42 yrs. young I went to my first ever drag race in 1972 at the then NHRA Spring Nationals in Columbus, OH. I raced Go-Karts from the age of 7-12. I joined the NHRA in 1980, joined DRAW in 1998 was elected to the DRAW Board of Trustees in 2006, obatined my NHRA Competition License for SC in 2005. Racing is really in my BLOOD!!! Yes, there has been a lot of CHANGES in the NHRA over the years- a lot GOOD and a lot BAD!!! With that being said I had made a comment even before the 4 Wide Ntls took place it was not going to be any Show Stopper. Well I feel that I got that one right. If NHRA does have the 4 Wide Ntls in 2011 there is going to have to be some significant changes. Starting with the Christmas Tree. The Tree had almost as many different colored lights on it as the one we all have in our houses in December. Even John Force made the comment about the amount of different colors. Tony Schumacher made the comment about racing just one other competitior. A racer knows what there opponent will do on the starting line. 4 is just 3 more too many. I like Antron's and Cory's idea- Qualify 4 Wide, Eliminations with 2 only!! That way the Fan gets the BEST of Both Worlds. Someone once made the comment to me after they found out I was a drag racer. I may only be a SC-SP ET Bracket Racer- they said drag racing must be really easy. I answered back (without even thinking) if it that easy everone would be doing it!!!! For those of you that have chosen not to attednd or watch a NHRA National event, well that is your decision. YES-Drag Racing has definitely changed it is an Entertainment Business. That is all I have to say... For now!

Sonoma is a beautiful facility, but the stands have been set up for the NASCAR track. Why? Because NASCAR fans don't complain about everything in the sport the way NHRA fans appear too. NASCAR fans save up for a year, purchase a ticket, embrace the event and attend with a smile!

Maybe if NHRA fans were the same they would have placed the stands closer to the strip.

Sure there are some things that NHRA needs some improvement on but micro analyzing ever event is killing us guys.

NHRA is a great sport and we've come a long way in every aspect...

I'm working really hard to move my way up the ranks as a driver. I'd rather not make it by lack of funding or talent than lack of a sport to compete in.

Sonoma is a beautiful facility, but the stands have been set up for the NASCAR track. Why? Because NASCAR fans don't complain about everything in the sport the way NHRA fans appear too. NASCAR fans save up for a year, purchase a ticket, embrace the event and attend with a smile!

you must not read NASCAR message boards ;) the ones I've seen make the 'mater seem like an NHRA love fest

I liked the coverage of Melanie Troxel and her double double with the In and Out Funny Car and Prom/Mod car. She's tops and so is her sponsor and team.
Unfortunately, I missed the comment WJ made which has everyone talking.
I fast forward through most of the miscellaneous nonsense in the broadcast and, thus, miss the occasional gem.
Cheers,
Ed

The stands are where they are because the NASCAR front stretch of the road course used to be the drag strip. Bruton's folks moved the front stretch off the drag strip, and where the NASCAR pits are make the positioning of grandstands where they are. Bruton makes more money off NASCAR than he does NHRA ... so that's the real reason the stands are where they are. Has NOTHING to do with a relatively obscure message board with less than a thousand regular posters complaining about everything ...

And I agree with an earlier poster. Go to the NASCAR message boards sometime, SpeedTV.com has one that is tame by comparison to most ... and it is way wilder than this place.

You coming to Vegas this weekend Kenny? Haven't seen you since Indy, would like to say hi.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back