Gators broadcast-the good and the not so good (1 Viewer)

sammi

Nitro Member
Good-Wilk's wife got more air time than Laurie Force. They showed a clip of the L.A. Hooker at the March Meet. Capps complaining about his lack of exposure on the show. What? A sportsman run....on a Sunday telecast! Good job with Darrel Gwynn, we really need to NOT forget him and his contributions to the sport.

Not So Good-Having no Force cars around after the second round seemed to confuse the show's director. Giving the usual lack of exposure to mid and lower qualified cars and bikes. No real engaging stories were developed. The show really could have went into more detail on the time it took Kurt Busch to get up to speed in his Super Gas car. I am tired of the manufactured Dixon-Schumacher rivalry. Hello, Angelle retired this week.

Suggestions-How about a story of the economics of being a field filler. How about talking to Jack Beckman, even if he doesn't win the event. How about a story on the AJPE supercharger controversy. How about showing the video of Miller's blower dyno. Maybe I've missed it, but how about a story on how cool it is to walk around the manufacturers displays. Also, don't assume we all watch the other shows. Where was Doug Horne's sister?

The drag racing community is basically one large polygamous compound. This tends to really mute the quality of the journalism that emerges. How about putting a couple of real deal journalists in the pits? What we have now are empty suits who follow Dave Densmore around hoping for an interview with Ashley's cat.

Last edited:
cookie-cutter production, brain-freeze. You can,t loose , when you rap, with(Fast Jack Beckman). IMHO.

I'm so sick and tired of the John Force show and lack of P/S coverage that I officially quit watching the crap. Yesterday I watched the results on Drag race central and never even turned the T.V on

I'm so sick and tired of the John Force show and lack of P/S coverage that I officially quit watching the crap. Yesterday I watched the results on Drag race central and never even turned the T.V on

Mike,
I'm a "fan" of the "C" (AAA)team... and I don't really follow P/S or Rails... In P/S I can't tell a Chevy from a Poncho from a MoPar... Rails I only care if Terry Mc, Pat D, or The Greek qualify, and hopefully go rounds... Normally, I'm still listening to the Audiocast when TV Starts... Don't think I've caught more than An Hour of ESPN2 in the last two years. My 'pick the winner' picks, in no order, every week are, Arend(Team K), Robert(Jimmy/Hopsing), Wilk, BTIII, and Princess(Guido/Ron)...

Do I miss TV? Nope... Do I ever turn ESPN2 on? Yep, Women's College Basketball (ODU fan) If I have a choice between watching NHRA on TV and reading a book, BOOK WINS every time...

d'kid

qualifying show sat. nite starts with comments about new PS rules;
followed by nitro qualifying.
if you're going to talk about new PS rules, then continue with the class.

on saturday they crowned the phoenix champion in PS - it was hidden way
into 2 hour qual. show

more hot chicks on starting line or something.
thank goodness it's 4 wide next.

The God's of NHRA in Glendora think that all people want to see is a story about John or Ashley Force, and maybe something about John Medlen leaving.
If they had any idea of what drag racing is really about they would be looking at how some of the folks race that have very little money and go from race to race on their qualifying money and if by luck they win a round they are in fat city.
Hey I got an idea - how about spending some time with the oldest and one of the most famous racers of all times -Chris Karamasines. He is one of those who makes a dollar go further than anyone. Take a look at his trailer. Its probably the first Chaparrel that he bought in the 60's. The fenders are welded up and spray painted with silver paint and he has one spare block.
Too bad that NHRA doesn't have any idea where to find some real interest stories and talent to put together some real stories. There are also tons of them in the Sportsman ranks also, but heaven forbid that we show any interest in Sportsman racing during a televised national event.

Hey I got an idea - how about spending some time with the oldest and one of the most famous racers of all times -Chris Karamasines. He is one of those who makes a dollar go further than anyone. Take a look at his trailer. Its probably the first Chaparrel that he bought in the 60's. The fenders are welded up and spray painted with silver paint and he has one spare block.

That's one thing I noticed that his and Bobby Lagana Jr's pits had in common - they both seemed to take me back in time when the drivers themselves actually got their hands dirty. Case in point is Bobby Lagana Jr himself. I was standing there hoping to get a picture with him, waiting while he talked business with another guy at the rope. I noticed he had a broken/jammed finger on one hand, and by looking at his other hand it was evident that he'd been elbow deep in the engine working on it. I told my wife that he was busy working and I'd try later. Kudos to him for literally getting his hands dirty, then taking the car down the track. And The Greek's trailer? It looks like something my father in-law would have at his house with years of stuff being thrown in there, just knowing that one day it would be useful. Both pits were a refreshing change of scenery in my opinion.

Keep in mind that NHRA "PAYS" ESPN to broadcast the races, so I'm quite sure they give them paramaters of what & who to focus on.

I would love to hear guys in the booth, much like the NASCAR announcers, who can say things other than following the corporate line for a change.
We all know Paul Page is an idiot!

I can't believe I'm saying this because I've always been thumbs up for the tape delayed same day broadcast because it allows me to have a Sunday and enjoy the action at night. However, Sunday I found myself wishing I could tune into to a NHRA radio broadcast (like MRN). Not really banging the TV deal, just sayin'!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back