Sponsor exposure and the Kalitta Boycott (2 Viewers)

How about we start 2 seperate threads about the countdown...........if you love it, go sing it's praises over there.............if you hate it, fire away!

I already suggested as a joke that we should have icons next to our names that indicate whether you're for the old system (those would be the more positive looking ones, LOL), for the new one (something dark and gloomy, LOL), and neutral (pink? LOL). Then you could discredit someone in a totally unrelated topic by saying "Well, they're just a pro-countdowner, anyways!" :D

Re: The Kalitta Boycott

All that is fine. You have your reasons and I could disagree with you. Should I suggest that there's something wrong with you for having your reasons, though? That's my point. What? As long as I start out by telling you that you're entitled to your opinion?

Yes.......that is true.......we are.

But I'll tell you the "real" reason;)

If we did Shirley would instantly and simultainiously be behind both of us smacking us both up the backside of our heads:eek::D

REX

That's why I don't even start with you on here. :D They'd have to give us our own section of the mater! Yeah, I remember we went on and on and on about crime and punishment in my living room and they had to just stop us!

What a coincidence. We're talking about the same thing over at Classicfunnycarboard and one of the members feels like he has to stretch the truth and slander over half of P.J.s 1,500 petition signers in order to prop up his support of the "Countdown." Are some people taking this disagreement with NHRA to extreme personal levels or what?

Getting a petition with 1500 names on it ( taking all of the season so far in trying to gather names) isn't a big statement, and when you read the messages (NASCRAP SUCKS for the most part) you see that the protests for the countdown have not amounted to much.

I told him if he didn't print a retraction to his "statement" that I'd be posting the link over here where most of the signers probably are.

iB::Topic::CAPTURE THE COUNTDOWN!

All that is fine. You have your reasons and I could disagree with you. Should I suggest that there's something wrong with you for having your reasons, though? That's my point. What? As long as I start out by telling you that you're entitled to your opinion?

Hey, Rex Lawler and I are best of friends and we're 180 degrees on this. We've NEVER said anything in disrespect to the other about it, though.

Ron, at the end of the day what can you do about the Countdown? These are the rules that govern the sport now and there is little any of us can do about it. We can go back and forth on our different views on personal attacks and the Countdown. Obvisously, your view of a personal attack are not the same as mine and it takes a hell of a lot more then the question I asked to ruffle my feathers and consider it offensive.

is it ok to say that I hate the countdown or do I need facts to back that up?

Of course we could point to nascars numbers pre and post chase and how far they have dropped. To me it would seem wise to study the system that it copied to see how it worked or didn't. Of course I've already seen people come up with excuses as to why the lowering numbers in nascar have nothing to do with the chase, so please countdown lovers don't ask for facts when you really don't want to see them.

is it ok to say that I hate the countdown or do I need facts to back that up?

Of course we could point to nascars numbers pre and post chase and how far they have dropped. To me it would seem wise to study the system that it copied to see how it worked or didn't. Of course I've already seen people come up with excuses as to why the lowering numbers in nascar have nothing to do with the chase, so please countdown lovers don't ask for facts when you really don't want to see them.

PJ, you are comparing apples with oranges. I am not sure if you have any experience dealing with marketing projects in your job, but you can make the business case that if you did not implement the change the loss in ratings would be greater (I would need more data to say this is for sure). I want to see some NHRA data. You are comparing the NASCAR like for like data when there are different variables such as different TV packages between this year and last year. Mark my word on this, I will change my view if it proves that the Countdown is bad for the sport. I just want to give it a chance before I discard the idea.

This whole thing is as much nonsense as this post. As expected all of the Kallitta cars showed up in fine fashion. Why woudn't they with the Technicoat Cowboys in town? Unless the sponsors and the popular Technicoat Cowboys said "yep, go ahead and skip these two races it's fine with us! We agree and encourage it." But you know that's not going to happen.

Ron, at the end of the day what can you do about the Countdown? These are the rules that govern the sport now and there is little any of us can do about it. We can go back and forth on our different views on personal attacks and the Countdown. Obvisously, your view of a personal attack are not the same as mine and it takes a hell of a lot more then the question I asked to ruffle my feathers and consider it offensive.

No, I can't keep it from appearing to me to be offensive when instead of just debating/disagreeing you ask this.....

Are you one of those people who want a life like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day and can not accept a little change to entertain your imagination?

and say this.....

...and to discard the Countdown before the first season is done is foolish because you have no facts to support your view.

While going back for the foolish remark I now see this one.

Get over it and stop polluting every thread with your Countdown crying.

Why is it that I don't see those who disagree with the Countdown asking the same questions or making the same comments about the people in favor of it? We don't say you're whining about our disagreeing. You're disagreeing about our disagreeing. "We" don't tell you to "Get over it" as I've seen many times. Wasn't the last poll here something like 83/17 against/for? What makes the 83% open season to this?

Okay, now I'll venture a question. Could the apparent "touchiness" from much of the "17%" when their countdown is questioned come from knowing they have a weak position? Is it like a frustrated Al Bundy calling Marcie a chicken? :) I don't know but, something's going on there. On average, I see a difference between the way much of the two sides debate, with my friend Rex definitely being an exception (which makes me feel for him on this one, LOL).

I think you folks are riding it all the way into the sand trap and your chutes already burned off way back there. :D

Last edited:

Wasn't the last poll here something like 83/17 against/for? What makes the 83% open season to this?

Okay, now I'll venture a question. Could the apparent "touchiness" from much of the "17%" when their countdown is questioned come from knowing they have a weak position? Is it like a frustrated Al Bundy calling Marcie a chicken? :) I don't know but, something's going on there. On average, I see a difference between the way much of the two sides debate, with my friend Rex definitely being an exception (which makes me feel for him on this one, LOL).

Ron, please check the thread where we discussed this already. Start here and scroll down.

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/11068-dro-recognizes-season-long-champions-2.html#post102586

I will ask you the same question, what can you do about it? The Countdown is here and is likely not to change.

Ron, please check the thread where we discussed this already. Start here and scroll down.

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/11068-dro-recognizes-season-long-champions-2.html#post102586

I will ask you the same question, what can you do about it? The Countdown is here and is likely not to change.

From that very page?

the only clowns I see around here are those who continue to piss and moan about something they have no control over.

What do you EXPECT those who disagree with it to DO about it other than express our opinions and the REASONS why we have them? Why is THAT a &*#$@!!! problem for some people? What do you think we should do in that situation? "Get over it"? "Shut up"?

Once again you're stating personal opinion as fact (like you did with your "foolish" comment above without at least putting an "IMO" in it). How do YOU know it's likely not going to change? Didn't it JUST change TO the Countdown? Now, isn't it more likely that we'll stay on point if I just go after what you say like this instead of maybe asking what it is in your environment that makes you like this, or suggest that you are foolish, or that you're crying, pissing, moaning, whining, etc, with those you disagree with?

What do you EXPECT those who disagree with it to DO about it other than express our opinions and the REASONS why we have them? Why is THAT a &*#$@!!! problem for some people? What do you think we should do in that situation? "Get over it"? "Shut up"?

Once again you're stating personal opinion as fact (like you did with your "foolish" comment above without at least putting an "IMO" in it). How do YOU know it's likely not going to change? Didn't it JUST change TO the Countdown? Now, isn't it more likely that we'll stay on point if I just go after what you say like this instead of maybe asking what it is in your environment that makes you like this, or suggest that you are foolish, or that you're crying, pissing, moaning, whining, etc, with those you disagree with?

The Countdown format may be tweaked, but I would be shocked if the NHRA went back to the old format. I can see you are a sensitive person, so I will try to be on my best behavior from now on because I do not want to disrespect my elders. You still have not answered my question, what can you do about Countdown since it is so bad for the sport? I will let you answer this even though I can answer the question for you.

Paul
It Ain't the countdown, it's the frickin' hype... and it's hyping to people that are already watching... Richmond, 90miles from the track, listening to the main stream media, had no Idea there was even a drag racing happening, okay, one article in the paper across the water... And it was the final 'Cut Off to the 4'...

10 mile difference, the Richmond fall cup race two weeks early... nightly TV on the news, articles in the papers daily...

emmm, anyone ever think first we need to change the Name of the Sport... Drag Racing is too closely tied to Street Racing... IMAGE first, then worry about how we count points...

The whole country isn't low attention span SoCal... nor is it reality TV or "dances with 'wolves'"... we're a sport looking for a personality, and 'Me Too' ain't gonna set us apart from every other 'Sport'...

Is Glendora listening? Nope... have they ever asked why WE are fans? Nope... is 1320 racing boring? Never... Do I care who's champ this year or last? Nope... Did someone wrapping up the Championship by Indy ever stop me from caring about races after? NEVER

d'kid

Last edited:

Paul
It Ain't the countdown, it's the frickin' hype... and it's hyping to people that are already watching... Richmond, 90miles from the track, listening to the main stream media, had no Idea there was even a drag racing happening, okay, one article in the paper across the water... And it was the final 'Cut Off to the 4'...

10 mile difference, the Richmond fall cup race two weeks early... nightly TV on the news, articles in the papers daily...

emmm, anyone ever think first we need to change the Name of the Sport... Drag Racing is too closely tied to Street Racing... IMAGE first, then worry about how we count points...

The whole country isn't low attention span SoCal... nor is it reality TV or "dances with 'wolves'"... we're a sport looking for a personality, and 'Me Too' ain't gonna set us apart from every other 'Sport'...

Is Glendora listening? Nope... have they ever asked why WE are fans? Nope... is 1320 racing boring? Never... Do I care who's champ this year or last? Nope... Did someone wrapping up the Championship by Indy ever stop me from caring about races after? NEVER

d'kid

I find it interesting that the Richmond track would not be advertising the sh*t out of the event in the city. I know here in Chicago and back east when I lived in PA/NJ, there would be advertisements, both on air media and print, in the cities letting people know about the race. You can not compare drag racing to NASCAR since the fan base is like comparing night to day. I applaud NHRA trying to make a change for the better, but I think to your point there needs to be more advertising. I would like to think HD Partners will take the NHRA to the next level and this will not be an issue.

PJ, you are comparing apples with oranges. I am not sure if you have any experience dealing with marketing projects in your job, but you can make the business case that if you did not implement the change the loss in ratings would be greater (I would need more data to say this is for sure). I want to see some NHRA data. You are comparing the NASCAR like for like data when there are different variables such as different TV packages between this year and last year. Mark my word on this, I will change my view if it proves that the Countdown is bad for the sport. I just want to give it a chance before I discard the idea.

Let's say you were NHRA and wanted to give it your "chance." What are you going to tell the pros? Don't structure your sponsorships until after the finals in Pomona, because that's when we're going to tell you what kind of points system we'll have for next year. I don't think so.

Let's say you were NHRA and wanted to give it your "chance." What are you going to tell the pros? Don't structure your sponsorships until after the finals in Pomona, because that's when we're going to tell you what kind of points system we'll have for next year. I don't think so.

If the NHRA is going to make any tweaks to the format it should be done by Indy the year prior to the change. I have no idea where you pulled this idea of changing the structure after Pomona from my response to PJ. Have a good night Ron, I am off to go have a drink and watch some TV.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back