Danica should Try Drag Racing !! (1 Viewer)

camaro

Nitro Member
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...a-one-with-gene-haas-don-t-rule-it-out-060714

There's talk that Danica might give F1 a try. With dismal results in NASCAR and INDY Car, I guess F1 is her last call. I'm only a remote fan of F1, but I'm pretty sure it is just as hard or even harder to succeed in that type of racing, as it is in NASCAR or INDY CAR. If Patrick really wants to be competitive, try drag racing.:D Patrick should give Don Schumacher a call, bring some of that million dollar sponsorship and pilot one of his dragsters. I figure a month or two of training and I bet she could run with the rest of the class. Then we could finally have an honest comparison, whether she is better than the current crop of women of drag racing Drag racing :D

That would be like going from the Big Leagues to single "A" baseball.
Sorry. I do agree that her overall (lack) talent level would be better suited for NHRA, but her career is well past the NHRA scope.
She has absolutely no business in F1. If there is a land locked missile that requires the absolute "elite" drivers on the planet, it's F1. Ask Michael Andretti about the skills needed to compete in that arena..
She should stick where she is, until the novelty wears out.

The only reason F1 is even a consideration is that her NASCAR owner will be the guy that owns the F1 team. Otherwise, her name would never come up. Startup F1 teams are rarely competitive, so she can ride around at the back of the grid and still generate tremendous interest for the HaasF1 team ... Kinda like she does for the Stewart-Haas NASCAR team.

"You know, I've got one of these wonderful ideas that women should all be dressed in white like all the other domestic appliances."
  • F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone, discussing Danica Patrick, the female driver who finished fourth in the 2005 Indianapolis 500 race. (Los Angeles Times, 6/21/05, p. A-18.)

still think she would be better off in F1 than drag racing?

She wouldn't make it. She couldn't blame any issues on somebody else since she would have her own lane. We need coverage but not from her

I would love to see her over here...and i think she could do it with the right team and the right teacher. Here lately a lot of fans have been worried about Nhra not getting any attention. If she came over they wouldn't have to worry about that for a while. But, there is not even close to being enough money to attract her here.

Last edited:
EXCUSE ME...........ITS A 102 WHERE I LIVE AND I GOT A LOTTA GAS , BUT..................HE STILL PISSES ME OFF

Patrick should give Don Schumacher a call, bring some of that million dollar sponsorship and pilot one of his dragsters. I figure a month or two of training and I bet she could run with the rest of the class. Then we could finally have an honest comparison, whether she is better

NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo........

Listen, I'm not going to debate her ability, as I happen to think she has some. So it's not about her being bad, female, nothing, except that the racing she happens to be doing gets this EXTREME saturation of DANICA DANICA DANICA DANICA DANICA (you get the idea). I'm all about talking about who is performing, but when an "also ran" consistently and repeatedly is the topic of all discussions, it gets quite mind-numbing. Distracting.

I was SO relieved when she left IRL for NASCAR. The Danicamania left with her, and I could once again enjoy the racing I tuned in to watch.

Again, I never took issue with her ability. She can run circles around most. But when you run against the type of company that can run circles around those who can run circles around most, you better bring your A-game. If she were to go to F1, she would be running against those that can run circles around everyone in the world. I'm sure it's a gimmick. Haas drumming up some headline stuff. The truth is, there's going to obviously be a push to seat an American in one of the cars, but in the end, there's already a short list of VERY capable candidates for a seat, some with GP2, GP3 scores and F1 testing under their belts. Personally, I think it's enough it'll be an American chassis/tub. Asking for an American driver as well is pure cherry on the top stuff. Out of all the possibles in America, at 15, Santino Ferrucci is probably a good youngin to keep eyes on.

My only issue was the way she (Danica) carried herself. She would talk about being frustrated with the media constantly asking her about being female in a male sport. She wanted to be known as a race car driver, not a female race car driver. Saying this while plastering every media outlet with provocative glossies. Please don't give me the "I can't be a woman too?" stuff. When you're arguing to be something other than a stereotype, you don't play into the stereotype you're trying to eliminate.

Katherine Legge is my idea of a classy race car driver. She turned left and right as good as anyone, and she never once fell into the Danica circus. Add to that list Simona de Silvestro (Sauber F1 2015?), Ana Beatriz, Pippa Mann.

Nope. I'll forever clump Danica in with the Milka Duno's of the world, just for her actions off track. Too bad, but that's the way it is.

If you want to slobber over hot chicks in firesuits, google some real "talent" like, Lielani Munter, Sloan Henderson, Maryeve Dufault (my personal pick). But then don't kid yourself. It's not auto racing you're thinking about.

Otherwise, just let the ladies race. I'll heap praise on those racers male, and female, who have risen to the challenge and beat the competition. I'll even root for those just trying. What I won't do is wish the curse that is Danica upon Drag Racing. They already show too little of actual racing now. Just imagine when it becomes Danica all day, everyday.

ps- That started out being a simple "NO!". Guess I still feel a little hate from my racing being hijacked by media/producer types that shelf the actual racing for "drama" and "titillating action".

All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

Last edited:
That would be like going from the Big Leagues to single "A" baseball.
Sorry. I do agree that her overall (lack) talent level would be better suited for NHRA, but her career is well past the NHRA scope.
She has absolutely no business in F1. If there is a land locked missile that requires the absolute "elite" drivers on the planet, it's F1. Ask Michael Andretti about the skills needed to compete in that arena..
She should stick where she is, until the novelty wears out.

Agreed, a move to drag racing would be career suicide.

Michael Andretti issues were more a lack of experience, than a lack of talent. McLaren's equipment didn't help either.

there was some minor hoopla over Kurt Busch going drag racing, but I think if Danica came over to the NHRA, it would die down right after her first national event win....then she would disappear from the news stories.

Michael Andretti issues were more a lack of experience, than a lack of talent. McLaren's equipment didn't help either.

At risk of a total thread de-rail, Michael Andretti's problems in F1 were entirely self-inflicted. First of all, he lived in Pennsylvania and commuted to the races. Second of all, he let Hakkinen and Senna do all of the testing. He tried to do F1 as his father had in the 70s, but the game had changed drastically. It was the now the era of wind tunnels, computer assisted cars and a relentless pace of development. The cars were changing from race to race, and Michael had to play catch up to what everyone else on the team already knew at every event. Lastly, had Michael done F1 the "right way", he would have been absolutely destroyed by Senna's politics and tactics within the team. Prost couldn't take the heat, there was no way Michael could. Senna didn't see Michael as a threat since he was never there, and McLaren saw Hakkinen as the future. Michael had the talent, he still is the last American to stand on a podium at Monza '93, but part timers don't cut it in modern F1.

The MP4/8B was not a bad car, it won 5 races and finished second in the constructors championship, and Senna finished second in the drivers championship. This is amazing because the car was designed for a Lamborghini V12 that never materialized (Bob Lutz backed out at the last minute) forcing McLaren to adapt the car to a customer supply of stepped down Ford V8s (Benetton was the factory Ford team). It wasn't until near the end of the year that McLaren was given equal engines with the Benetton.

2nd place in both championships with a compromised design, 2nd hand engines and a part-time driver is pretty extra-ordinary I would say.

Last edited:
At risk of a total thread de-rail, Michael Andretti's problems in F1 were entirely self-inflicted. First of all, he lived in Pennsylvania and commuted to the races. Second of all, he let Hakkinen and Senna do all of the testing. He tried to do F1 as his father had in the 70s, but the game had changed drastically. It was the now the era of wind tunnels, computer assisted cars and a relentless pace of development. The cars were changing from race to race, and Michael had to play catch up to what everyone else on the team already knew at every event. Lastly, had Michael done F1 the "right way", he would have been absolutely destroyed by Senna's politics and tactics within the team. Prost couldn't take the heat, there was no way Michael could. Senna didn't see Michael as a threat since he was never there, and McLaren saw Hakkinen as the future. Michael had the talent, he still is the last American to stand on a podium at Monza '93, but part timers don't cut it in modern F1.

The MP4/8B was not a bad car, it won 5 races and finished second in the constructors championship, and Senna finished second in the drivers championship. This is amazing because the car was designed for a Lamborghini V12 that never materialized (Bob Lutz backed out at the last minute) forcing McLaren to adapt the car to a customer supply of stepped down Ford V8s (Benetton was the factory Ford team). It wasn't until near the end of the year that McLaren was given equal engines with the Benetton.

2nd place in both championships with a compromised design, 2nd hand engines and a part-time driver is pretty extra-ordinary I would say.

Chris you're way braver man than I am, I didn't want to de-rail the thread, so I kept it short.

You're pretty much spot on of what I was thinking. The only difference is I think Micheal had a handful of DNF's because of equipment failures, I think there are a couple of lap one crashes mixed in there too.

It would've been interesting if he would have been committed and somehow stuck it out, because Senna left at the end of the season for Williams and active suspension...6 months later he was gone.

Chris you're way braver man than I am, I didn't want to de-rail the thread, so I kept it short.

You're pretty much spot on of what I was thinking. The only difference is I think Micheal had a handful of DNF's because of equipment failures, I think there are a couple of lap one crashes mixed in there too.

It would've been interesting if he would have been committed and somehow stuck it out, because Senna left at the end of the season for Williams and active suspension...6 months later he was gone.

McLaren had an active suspension in '93, but Williams were miles ahead in development and they had Adrian Newey. Active suspension was ruled out for '94 ... But Williams had the brilliant Renault V10 and still had Adrian Newey, McLaren was out to sea with customer engines, Senna had no choice but to jump ship. Many people forget that McLaren were basically a mid pack team until '97 when Mercedes and Adrian Newey came on board ... So even if Michael Andretti would have given it his best, he would have been stuck in a bad situation at McLaren, he would have had to find a seat at Benetton or Ferrari, which would have been tough to do, or come back to CART. Even though it was spectacularly frustrating to me as a fan, it probably ended as it should have, with Michael on the podium at Monza and a return to CART.

As an aside, I never dreamed 21 years would have rolled by with no more Americans on the podium in F1. In fact, only 1 American has been on the grid in the intervening years ... And he is married to a 'Mater!

I'm not a fan or hers, but realistically, I think Danica would do well on a highly funded team like DSR. Would certainly give our sport recognition, that's for sure. Also, her petite structure would certainly be welcomed by her team. I think she only weighs a whopping 100lbs. Actually, she should try horse racing!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back