What is your idea of a Strong NHRA? (1 Viewer)

Dale Jr 2 races 1.7m in winnings
43rd rank driver 2 races 100k in winnings

Think that could help :rolleyes:

You can not make the sport number one if the title sponsor has limited the sponsorship of teams by keeping said title sponsors competition out of the series.

NHRA used to be strong because everyone could have a dog in the show. Not so since Coke company took over as the title , using the "sport drink" logo's.

That sports fans limits the growth of the sport, Not the multi car teams, if it wasn't for multi car teams there would be no fuel car show at all.

Yes. Look at Monster Energy just in Supercross. They sponsor the series, are the title sponsor of the Pro Circuit team, the Kawasaki factory team, and they are a major associate sponsor of Chad Reed's 22 Motorsports team. Just watching on TV, Monster gets considerably more signage than their competitors because they have smart people putting their logo on every inch of everything in those arenas. They have not contracted out the Rockstar or RedBull sponsored team and riders. They are probably smart enough to realize that the loss of those entities would be a loss for everyone! Are they threatened by their competitors? Probably not. Would they prefer they not be there? Of course. However, when there is one rider with a Rockstar or RedBull logo on their gear standing on the podium (just like this past Saturday night), there's a girl on either side of him wearing just enough clothes to paste a Monster logo on to. They win every time.

Mello Yello is an inferiorly marketed and distributed product to be a title sponsor of any series that is nationwide. From the Powerade years to the current Mello Yello campaign, Coca-Cola, in my opinion, has done very little to promote the NHRA or the tour. If they are meeting their contractual obligations, regarding advertising and promotion, then someone sitting in Glendora has wildly (and repeatedly!!) dropped the ball on what is expected of a title sponsor and there's a rep at Coca-Cola getting a bonus for the bargain they scored.

Money comes from sponsors contributing to the sport. Unfortunately NHRA upper brass is better at running them off than bringing them in. Just look at the midway, when the company I was with in 80's 90' was working the midway it was packed and full of fans not now. Sure the economy has hurt this country but Drag Racing and Nascar only comes around once maybe twice a year, it is still an affordable attraction. Drag Racing was at the top of the ladder in popularity until mid nineties then Nascar took over and never has looked back. Put the right people in place and this sport could get back to the top level.

Yes. Look at Monster Energy just in Supercross. They sponsor the series, are the title sponsor of the Pro Circuit team, the Kawasaki factory team, and they are a major associate sponsor of Chad Reed's 22 Motorsports team. Just watching on TV, Monster gets considerably more signage than their competitors because they have smart people putting their logo on every inch of everything in those arenas. They have not contracted out the Rockstar or RedBull sponsored team and riders. They are probably smart enough to realize that the loss of those entities would be a loss for everyone! Are they threatened by their competitors? Probably not. Would they prefer they not be there? Of course. However, when there is one rider with a Rockstar or RedBull logo on their gear standing on the podium (just like this past Saturday night), there's a girl on either side of him wearing just enough clothes to paste a Monster logo on to. They win every time.

Mello Yello is an inferiorly marketed and distributed product to be a title sponsor of any series that is nationwide. From the Powerade years to the current Mello Yello campaign, Coca-Cola, in my opinion, has done very little to promote the NHRA or the tour. If they are meeting their contractual obligations, regarding advertising and promotion, then someone sitting in Glendora has wildly (and repeatedly!!) dropped the ball on what is expected of a title sponsor and there's a rep at Coca-Cola getting a bonus for the bargain they scored.

No one in Glendora, "does it for love."

........Mello Yello is an inferiorly marketed and distributed product to be a title sponsor of any series that is nationwide. From the Powerade years to the current Mello Yello campaign, Coca-Cola, in my opinion, has done very little to promote the NHRA or the tour. If they are meeting their contractual obligations, regarding advertising and promotion, then someone sitting in Glendora has wildly (and repeatedly!!) dropped the ball on what is expected of a title sponsor and there's a rep at Coca-Cola getting a bonus for the bargain they scored.

whatever both parties are aiming to achieve with M-Y as series sponsor, M-Y still trails Mtn.Dew by light years; and
Mtn.Dew offers both leaded and unleaded varieties, while M-Y is leaded only.
if coke is trying is strengthen their carbonated citrus drink M-Y via nhra, why not throw a little money at a female
driver and offer a fresca sponsorship of some sort (which i believe is a carbonated 'diet' citrus drink)....why not showcase
both products while you're at it?, show the older folks and the ladies in the audience
that there is a diet alternative

gin & fresca w/lime is mighty tasty as well :)

There are at least 1oo plus major sponsors in Nascar Sprint Cup Series. The average cost for major sponsors is 350K to 500K
per race for each team, this does not include the mom and pop sponsors or Nationwide and Truck series. I believe Sprint pays 17M
a year for being race sponsor. I understand there is a huge media base for Nascar. This is why there sport is so successful.

To speak hypothetically, the right group of people running NHRA and the top auto marketing team such as one that Nascar has could make huge positive change in Drag Racing.

Last edited:
members need 2 get a good lawyer and class action litigation vote them out, shuld b a drag racing lawyer out there som were that wuld help

Last edited:
There's a chicken and egg problem. That money has to come from somewhere.
Well you can pay 88 bucks and get a reserved seat and the headset and a meet and greet with Dale Jr at Fontana.
Or for the price of admission to the March Meet you can hangout with Me and burn some nitro and I'll even introduce you to Dave Mandella, TV Tommy Ivo, and James Hetfield. And have BBQ with Mr HorsePower

Well you can pay 88 bucks and get a reserved seat and the headset and a meet and greet with Dale Jr at Fontana.
Or for the price of admission to the March Meet you can hangout with Me and burn some nitro and I'll even introduce you to Dave Mandella, TV Tommy Ivo, and James Hetfield. And have BBQ with Mr HorsePower
There's BBQ! Damn, i have to go to a boat race. I had better call Mandella and ask him to eat some for me.:D

Well my .02 cents worth is this . Non Profit is B S they profit right up there with any other CEO and staff .
Non Profit is OK for fund raising for Cancer or Wheelchairs but not for a Sport .
Where would NHRA be today with someone like Bruton Smith owning the rights and running it directly at being a successful enterprise big show and all .

This is not Russia yet and there is absolutely nothing wrong with capitalism 101 where profit and success are not dirty words .
In fact everything connected to Drag Racing was dreamed up out of the minds of people using profits gained one way or the other .
You want a better Tire let the Tire Makers and the free Market battle for it .Don't make it a Monopoly .

I don't want too see this sport go to Hell's in a handbasket just because the Leadership gets theirs and the rest is Lip service .
Oh that's painting with a broad stroke and I have to remember the " Big Show " is just part of the overall sport .
Wally knew that of course and sought to separate the two .
I think the Big Show should be privatized as a separate deal because with the expenses involved it's all about profit .
It has to have value or go down the drain.
The Keys to participation for sportsmen is keeping costs down and safety up .
Leave the weighing of piston keepers to the Pro Ranks .

Rivalries less I love that guy crap! The PC crap makes me yearn for the Al Hoffman's of yesteryear.
Let them be competitors not like family relatives! Like it or not people like rivalries! NASCAR has it and people don't get turned off when there are altercations it's great exposure! The love fests in the shutoff area is getting old! Love her or hate her Shirley was a competitor, Whit Bazemore was one too!
When John lost it to Tony that was great and people took notice didn't they!

Check out the photo Fri. thread. Notice how many different tracks the "BIG" cars were at???
If you want the people to come to you, you got to first take it to the people.
NHRA's "thou shall not run anywhere else" rule has shot themselves in the foot, as they often do.

To the best of my knowledge the pros can run anywhere they want without repercusion from NHRA.
Refering to off weekends from the big show.

You car run elsewhere yes but you lose championship points.
Nhra calls them test seccions and limits them. Just shows how foolish nhra is.

Not anymore, NHRA removed the testing limits at the start of the 2013 season....... and you know what, the match racing scene didn't explode last year with the big name cars.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back