What is your idea of a Strong NHRA? (1 Viewer)

I'm a fan for life. Not a driver. So here are my thoughts from the grandstands.
  1. $. The cost to run pro teams pushes major sponsors out of the sport. Ticket prices up. Fan attendance down. I mean Miller Lite and Budweiser leaves? Ford leaves Force? Really? Major sponsors leaving spells major trouble. Really!
  2. TV. Poor coverage accelerates sponsors to leave and it doesn't appeal to fans. Watching right now Sunday 7:30AM for Sat qualifying. The Gators. Really? 7:30am on a Sun morning? Well 90 minutes and they spend 6 minutes with Alexis in her pit.
  3. Marketing: NHRA has not figured out how to market this sport and if they did the public would love it. Nothing in motor sports is more exciting than NHRA. Ties back in to the sponsors like Miller, Bud and Ford pulling out.
I know the corp $ thing can be a catch 22. Initially it drives up the costs but when they leave? National appeal tanks. Balance. If Miller, Bud etc was in and the money was balanced they could spread to word and use NHRA in their marketing and drag fans to drag racing.

NHRA of itself is Not exciting, the class racing apeals to the hard core gear head fan only, and or the other racers in the class .

Nitro drag racing is basicaly two guys who own all the cars in F/C and two other guys who own the top fuel cars.

Its not only sponsors leaving because it costs to much to run the cars, they also leave becuase they get run off by the people who run the events, not just the NHRA ,but those who fail to organize the events . Track owners and opperators, and the local media who for the most part are clueless to what drag racing is ,that rests on the shoulders of the racers themselves
You have to promote the sport if you are out there competing the public has to see you and its up to the racers to do that and with the exeption of Force no one does. I could continue, but I'm headed out the door right now.

Going to Disneyland and Calfornia Adventure with My wife today........see ya later.....LF

You have to promote the sport if you are out there competing the public has to see you and its up to the racers to do that and with the exeption of Force no one does.

I agree. And while I don't always care to see every Force's move during the TV coverage, as is so often complained about, I think there's merit in the fact that he's the most popular guy out there because by and large he's made himself the most recognizable guy out there - not NHRA, not ESPN. In that I understand that Force's fulltime gig is his raceteam, unlike maybe Kalitta or Schumacher, I often wonder why we don't see the same sort of activation out of DSR, given the size of the organization, and the likeability of it's drivers. Worse, though, is the fact that one the NHRA's teams can put a "Road Show" out there on their own, for the good of the whole sport, but the sanctioning body itself can't seem to even get their logo on most of their title sponsor's products. I will never fault John Force Racing for their efforts, nor hold their share of coverage against them.

I'm a fan for life. Not a driver. So here are my thoughts from the grandstands.
  1. $. The cost to run pro teams pushes major sponsors out of the sport. Ticket prices up. Fan attendance down. I mean Miller Lite and Budweiser leaves? Ford leaves Force? Really? Major sponsors leaving spells major trouble. Really!
  2. TV. Poor coverage accelerates sponsors to leave and it doesn't appeal to fans. Watching right now Sunday 7:30AM for Sat qualifying. The Gators. Really? 7:30am on a Sun morning? Well 90 minutes and they spend 6 minutes with Alexis in her pit.
  3. Marketing: NHRA has not figured out how to market this sport and if they did the public would love it. Nothing in motor sports is more exciting than NHRA. Ties back in to the sponsors like Miller, Bud and Ford pulling out.
I know the corp $ thing can be a catch 22. Initially it drives up the costs but when they leave? National appeal tanks. Balance. If Miller, Bud etc was in and the money was balanced they could spread to word and use NHRA in their marketing and drag fans to drag racing.

The Clydesdale's and Chevy Performance were both at bike week.

Force and the Pedregons' and Alan Johnson are the ONLY real professional drag racers out there. Everyone else has some other buisness that they own and rely on .

As one can see by reading this thread, there is no agreement on what it will take to fix it. All agree it is broken ( except Joe ). It may take something drastic to make the necessary changes, If Goodyear pulled the plug on fuel car tires, that would require some action.

I don't know how to fix NHRA, I see things that could use improvment, but I really have no answer.

I do alot to promote the sport,more than most, thats all I can offer , I don't think NHRA is "wrong" or "bad", or on its way out, maybe if more people would go out and particapate it would be better.

Last edited:
I have no idea how people ON THIS SITE see only JFR as the only team out there promoting the sport enough to make themselves famous.

DSR has some sort of promotional display/driver meet-and-greet at every event; Larry Dixon was great about being out there pre-event for the Snake; the press conference for the re-opening of Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park had n NOT ONE JFR car on the property- and the fuel team that was representing there was DSR, WITHOUT a car.

If WE don't know who is actually promoting the sport, how do you think Joe Newguy is seeing us? I remember when WR Grace used to have as many teams as they could fit into their plaza in midtown Manhattan before the Summernationals- huge walk-by traffic. A requirement of being title sponsor of the SERIES should be public displays in every city on the tour, organized by them. And if a team can do one on their own at another location, more power to them- the entire city should be awash with drag cars before each national event.

I have no idea how people ON THIS SITE see only JFR as the only team out there promoting the sport enough to make themselves famous.

DSR has some sort of promotional display/driver meet-and-greet at every event; Larry Dixon was great about being out there pre-event for the Snake; the press conference for the re-opening of Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park had n NOT ONE JFR car on the property- and the fuel team that was representing there was DSR, WITHOUT a car.

If WE don't know who is actually promoting the sport, how do you think Joe Newguy is seeing us? I remember when WR Grace used to have as many teams as they could fit into their plaza in midtown Manhattan before the Summernationals- huge walk-by traffic. A requirement of being title sponsor of the SERIES should be public displays in every city on the tour, organized by them. And if a team can do one on their own at another location, more power to them- the entire city should be awash with drag cars before each national event.
The first couple years HPR opened it was swamp with Drag Cars in the KC and Topeka area then it faded away. Was cool seeing the show cars all over town must have been hard on their budget.

Was having a beer with a racing buddy last night and the 4 Wide subject rolled around. I think it would be great to do it as a mid-season special event, similar to baseball's All-Star game... it's different, it's held at one of the premier tracks on the tour and at this point, every team has a good handle on the tuneup for it. After E-Town, before New England... Thoughts?

Was having a beer with a racing buddy last night and the 4 Wide subject rolled around. I think it would be great to do it as a mid-season special event, similar to baseball's All-Star game... it's different, it's held at one of the premier tracks on the tour and at this point, every team has a good handle on the tuneup for it. After E-Town, before New England... Thoughts?
That's what it is now, my understanding is there's no points earned. I'm with you on moving it like you suggested.

Thanks for setting me straight, I thought when racers started complaining about that style of racing they agreed on no points,:confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back