Who is in charge of the NHRA tv broadcasts? (1 Viewer)

AC

Nitro Member
Wow someone new needs to get in there.

Ok, i love Force, he is a great guy, helps NHRA in promoting but cmon. Did we really need to see him and his daughter 100x's (ok ashley is a nice site but ..)

1. The prostock racers get no respect, none at all. How are prostock teams suppose to secure marketing partners? Give them the tv spot light they deserve. How about instead of interviewing all of the nitro racers during prostock elims and quals you go into tech tid bits for prostock, interview more of the prostock drivers. How about trying to show more than one round?

2. Ever watch any road racing, F1 or even nascar, they do some great tech tid bits, explain things may be the average fan does not know about, no we get John Force and a picture of his daughter. Throw in a sportsman rank tech bit to show people on how to get involved in drag racing.

3. Then the only sportsman action we see at a national event is the poor comp racer flipping over, very classy NHRA.

4.how about some side by side camera angles from both cockpits as they blast down the track?

If you want to get the fans on board how about showing the finals live, hey nascar was on TV for how many hours yesterday???? NHRA can do it and throw in the sportsman finals as well.

Its hard to understand what drag racing is about from the tv and its even harder when the broadcasting you get does not potray the sports as it should.

hey its just my .02!!

Send a note to ESPN. Their director is in charge of the broadcasts. Send a copy to NHRA as well. I'm with you. I thought there were a lot of other things they could have spotlighted. After all, there are quite a few other racers on the grounds besides the Forces.

NHRA is convinced that unless John Force and his daughters gets plenty of facetime the TV ratings will go from bad to worse! Makes you wonder how this sport survived before he came on the scene....:rolleyes:

one more reason why we need Whit Bazemore back.! :D. . .someone to call it like it is on t.v. and I bet you won't see him doing some lipsinking to some real $hitty "know how" song!!! . . .:eek:

IMO, ESPN & NHRA = Boneheaded deal, decent in the beginning, now it's a waste of Time and $$$, I hope it ends soon and NHRA gets a deal with a station where at least it would get some respect, not in when it's broadcasted but how it's broadcasted.

IMO, ESPN & NHRA = Boneheaded deal, decent in the beginning, now it's a waste of Time and $$$, I hope it ends soon and NHRA gets a deal with a station where at least it would get some respect, not in when it's broadcasted but how it's broadcasted.

Rob, be careful what you ask for. Hockey turned to Versus when ESPN said no thanks. Now hockey fans are in a situation where you can't watch Versus games if you have Directv which means most of us will miss most of the playoffs unless Comcast and/or Directv come to their senses!

I agree with what others have suggested above but I'm not sure there are better alternatives out there than ESPN. Problem seems to not be with ESPN, it's with NHRA as I imagine NHRA officials are the people who determine what is on the broadcast.

Rob, be careful what you ask for. Hockey turned to Versus when ESPN said no thanks. Now hockey fans are in a situation where you can't watch Versus games if you have Directv which means most of us will miss most of the playoffs unless Comcast and/or Directv come to their senses!

I agree with what others have suggested above but I'm not sure there are better alternatives out there than ESPN. Problem seems to not be with ESPN, it's with NHRA as I imagine NHRA officials are the people who determine what is on the broadcast.

Versus is NOT where I want it to be on, and to go 1 step further down, MAVTv should certainly NOT be a good place for it despite it's connections with Lucas Oil, I say the best being Speed especially with the unknown future of IHRA TV now that it is Nitro Jam. I don't know how they can broadcast it without losing the fans in regards to the concepts of "Chicago style" racing

unless the nhra steps up and demands certain things with their broadcasts, you could put the nhra on Noggin and it would be the same crap.

turned race off last nite after 1st rnd. - watched 'boss undercover'
with wife for hour - gotta' say pretty good show - they had son/ceo
of hooters on (dad founded company).........

nhra 3 hr. show cut to 1.5 - still saw independents - saw semi's with
usual and predictable cast and of course finals.
all sports getting this way - a large amount of teams and participants
but media focus and winners often the same - daily/weekly/monthly/annually.
don't care for it........nhra included.

My biggest gripes are:
They repeat so many short features from the qualifying show through NHRA Today to the eliminations. If they didn't, it would make watching the three components of the coverage more enjoyable.
The huge superimpositions they place at the bottom of the screen to promote upcoming events - :Live coverage of women's indoor Tiddlywinks! You could almost see Ivo's grin on one shot - and he has a big, friendly grin - but you couldn't see much of his car.
I would like to have seen a segment on new Pro paint schemes, or Sportsman racers who had traveled to the meet, etc.
An occasional interview with some of the guys who fill out the 16 car fields without 72 sponsors on their car - now that would be nice. A couple of seasons back they gave some attention to Gary Densham and his efforts. I enjoyed that greatly.
Cheers,
Ed
Rocky Mountain Superchargers

As I see it, it's NHRA's fault that it isn't as good as it could be. They seem to rely on the TV guys to tell them what to do, but the only way the TV guys that don't know Drag racing can do is go with what they are given. They, like anyone new to the sport have to be educated the way NASCAR fans were in the beginning (and are still at times) in the history of the sport. They need to be educated about what the differences are in the divisions, as well as the safety aspects, what's happening in the pits and why. Just showing the same few people each time is not going to build the fan base and neither is making the assumption that people will watch just because it's racing. I will because I love racing, but I also understand a little, tiny bit more than the average person out there. It's obvious that they are trying to build their fan base, if they weren't they would leave out the drama and just let us watch all the matches instead of just the highlights. Problem is that NHRA's marketing people don't seem to have a clue about what they need to do to accomplish that goal.

Apparently you guys never listen to ESPN Radio, or pay attention to the other sports that ESPN covers, ah mettles in!! They are the 800 lb. gorilla of the sports world, and they will market your sport any way they darn well please!!!
At least they know the Force team will always be there...remember when they pushed the DSR/Fuller rivalry? Then Fuller loses his deal and poof, there goes your marketing out the window.

C'mon guys, this is not the Diamond P days when NHRA suits were in the editing trailer. Do you think you would have ever seen that Steve Johnson actually won the US Nationals, and had it overturned if it was??? NHRA execs made their bed, now they are being forced to lie in it.

Some guy told me the other day he was sick of watching the Danica Fest on ESPN / NASCAR all week from Daytona. My reply: "Yeah, I've already been throught that. Her name was Ashley Force."

You could give some people everything they always wanted and they would still gripe about it. I don't like ALL of the stuff they show, but it's a damn sight better than nothing at all. Do I feel like ESPN uses NHRA Drag Racing as a filler? YEP! Do I like it? NO! Is there anything I can do about it? I seriously doubt it, it's all about ratings. All ESPN cares about is main stream sports and getting as big a piece of the ratings pie as they can. Everyone one of us could write into ESPN and it more than likely wouldn't make a bit of difference to them. We are small piece of the pie and they are not going to chagne everything they do to appease such a small group. If I have to live with the way it is to be able to watch it on TV, so be it. We go through this b!tch session after almost every race during every season. If you really hate it that much TURN THE TV OFF and get the results from the internet. What did you gripe about before there was any TV coverage and you had to wait on the National Dragster? That's IF you were a member and got ND to begin with.

You could give some people everything they always wanted and they would still gripe about it. I don't like ALL of the stuff they show, but it's a damn sight better than nothing at all. Do I feel like ESPN uses NHRA Drag Racing as a filler? YEP! Do I like it? NO! Is there anything I can do about it? I seriously doubt it, it's all about ratings. All ESPN cares about is main stream sports and getting as big a piece of the ratings pie as they can. Everyone one of us could write into ESPN and it more than likely wouldn't make a bit of difference to them. We are small piece of the pie and they are not going to chagne everything they do to appease such a small group. If I have to live with the way it is to be able to watch it on TV, so be it. We go through this b!tch session after almost every race during every season. If you really hate it that much TURN THE TV OFF and get the results from the internet. What did you gripe about before there was any TV coverage and you had to wait on the National Dragster? That's IF you were a member and got ND to begin with.

I concur with you Gary on many issues here. The fact is ESPN can show Force all day long if they want. You see, they already have "us" hooked because we love the sport and will sit throught anything to watch runs down the track. The Neilsen box at the "maters" house is always going to be hitched to the NHRA on Sunday. ESPN's goal with Force is to bring in the channel surfer or extremely casual fan. The diehards will sit through anything. I assume 90 percent of the signees here are diehards.

(10 points to Bullard for working in a new sponsor in his post, DieHard)!

Somehow I just don't understand why when NHRA is paying upwards of 12 million dollars a year to have the shows produced, how they seem to have no input or controll on what is shown and who is interviewed!
When I was buying space in print magazines, I created the message to meet my needs. Shouldn't NHRA have the same controll of the air time (space) that they are purchasing?
It would seem to me that ESPN really doesn't care who get's interviewed, but rather are following input from NHRA who seems to only want their chosed stars to be on the tube.
That NHRA has been hearing from we fans for many years about how bad the shows are...and continue to give us more of the same, indicates to me that there is a master plan that neither we the fans or ESPN has any controll over.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back