Progress Made In NHRA TV Advertising (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
I am watching Adult Swim (late night cartoon network) and Lincoln Tech is running commericials boasting about how there the official tech school of the nhra. It may not be much but that's huge. Of course nhra brass will if they ever know of this moment will just take it for granted and expect more companies to take the ball and promote nhra.

This whole 60th anniversary season is gonna go by with no new marketing at all from the nhra. They wasted all the momemtum of the 50th anniversary year. NHRA needs to use advertising in different avenues but I guess not exactly being a clear non profit and giving all the brass huge salaries are more important. Rest in peace wally parks, but i have to say that I see it that the brass did not do much listening to wally. I been a fan since 1998 by luck of gaining step parents who knew all about it, yet from 1998-2011, what growth have you seen of the nhra that was from the work of nhra and nhra alone and not sponsors footing the bill and the idea? NHRA please hire me and in one week I will come up with more ideas than your coffee and doughnut meetings.

Now this line was hilarious, just like most of your other spouting. Just curious, what is it that you do for a living?

spouting? Not exactly spouting mind you when your qualified to speak about the topic. Marketing/Public Relations is my career so it's not like i'm telling the fed what to do with interest rates, instead I put my comments into what I am qualified to talk about thank you very much.

spouting? Not exactly spouting mind you when your qualified to speak about the topic. Marketing/Public Relations is my career so it's not like i'm telling the fed what to do with interest rates, instead I put my comments into what I am qualified to talk about thank you very much.

Maybe you can share some of your brilliant ideas here since they come to you so easily. I'm sure a lot of people would be curious to hear them.

Your company's marketing/advertising strategy must be amazing given your qualifications.

Maybe you can share some of your brilliant ideas here since they come to you so easily. I'm sure a lot of people would be curious to hear them.

Your company's marketing/advertising strategy must be amazing given your qualifications.

Oh so like what this site has been known for your the type of poster who likes to insult opinions rather than add to it. Nice going! Instead of attacking me why don't you share some of your input instead trying to play the cop of this thread!

If i'm so wrong why don't you correct my view. Tell me, what great return on investment has NHRA had in the last decade? We'll never beat NASCAR, that's not the point, but tell me how the NHRA has grown in the last decade? Let's have some of your input prove me wrong. Prove me wrong I won't say another word. Step up big man, you started the disrespect!

While it's easy for you to beat down the sanctioning body with rediculous comments, they really have made great improvements to the entire events, television presentations and the series as a whole in the last decade. Sure there are plenty of things that could be improved on, but the sport has advanced in that time.

Signed on exclusively with ESPN instead of multiple networks
Same day TV race coverage
Prime time TV slots for most Eliminations
75 minute turnaround to tighten up race day and allow for a better TV package
Instituting Oil Down Policies to try and keep the events moving smoothly.....
Signing of Powerade as Series Title Sponsor
Signing of Full Throttle as Series Title Sponsor

Just go visit Peabody and his Wayback Machine and have a peak at where we were ten years ago...........

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

Last edited:
While it's easy for you to beat down the sanctioning body with rediculous comments, they really have made great improvements to the entire events, television presentations and the series as a whole in the last decade. Sure there are plenty of things that could be improved on, but the sport has advanced in that time.

Signed on exclusively with ESPN instead of multiple networks
Same day TV race coverage
Prime time TV slots for most Eliminations
75 minute turnaround to tighten up race day and allow for a better TV package
Instituting Oil Down Policies to try and keep the events moving smoothly.....
Signing of Powerade as Series Title Sponsor
Signing of Full Throttle as Series Title Sponsor

Just go visit Peabody and his Wayback Machine and have a peak at where we were ten years ago...........

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

thank you for finally giving this a thread a response I was looking for. This is not Jerry...this is a common sense give/take opinion site and not to insult so thanks for giving me something to work with lance.

I try not to be bitter about these guys yet it just does not seem like much at all is being done. I will address all of this.

The tv broadcasts whether they are on at the common 7-10 est, eariler, or later, there becoming unwatchable as other than the racing they have for too much story. 3 hours is a lot to ask for someone to watch, I say drop and hour and ratings may increase even more. I am looking to watch drag racing not to find out who who 3 hours later, the shows are good but we could lose an hour of story. I think the highest viewership for an event was at or around 664,000 viewers. There are more people that get espn and are NHRA fans that are not watching, and why! Ratings should be a million a week without even trying to get people to watch. Something's wrong.

75 min turnaround I dont see as any advantage for tv cause almost every team is done just under an hour, and nhra buckles down to 60-65 when weather is a factor.

Oil down policies needed to be enforced yet these rules need fixing. A team that does not have a huge bank account can not afford to lose a friday night let's say 3.91 when a big team can afford the hit and run that 3.91 on saturday and prob better much easier.

your damn right that winston left and nhra needed to work there ass off to find a series sponsor to keep the sport alive, i don't exactly credit them that NOT because I dont like them, but BECAUSE it needed to be done. It's easy to go after what you must.

how about working with coca cola and fixing the grandfather clause with energy/soda drinks. let them in the sport with a penalty. If lets say Rockstar wants back in let them in and pay coke an enterance fee. It's hurting attendance of teams by not letting them in.

let's lower ticket prices. To take 2 people to a race on a friday and saturday should not cost 230 bucks +! NHRA Tracks that host national events everywhere are taking the cake and offering deals to ticket buyers, where's nhra's proposal, the average fan who is not a racer does not have the money to pay for a membership to get the discounts.

nhra should take small possible profit hits to see if growth can expand. If you don't like my proposal, DON'T INSULT ME like i've been, contribute!

Oh so like what this site has been known for your the type of poster who likes to insult opinions rather than add to it. Nice going! Instead of attacking me why don't you share some of your input instead trying to play the cop of this thread!

If i'm so wrong why don't you correct my view. Tell me, what great return on investment has NHRA had in the last decade? We'll never beat NASCAR, that's not the point, but tell me how the NHRA has grown in the last decade? Let's have some of your input prove me wrong. Prove me wrong I won't say another word. Step up big man, you started the disrespect!

Patrick, to be honest I just get tired of the negativity that yourself and Bruce direct towards the NHRA, basically for anything and everything. It's just over and over and over.......so this time, I decided to call you out on your complaints. You asked why I didn't provide "input", well, I wasn't the one to start a thread and say "NHRA please hire me and in one week I will come up with more ideas than your coffee and doughnut meetings". I simply asked what you would do, that's all. You're claiming to be a marketing genius and implying that the NHRA has no idea, then tell us. I'm not insulting opinions as you stated......actually, I didn't see any opinions to insult because all you did was complain and not offer up any of your ideas.

Has the NHRA done everything wonderfully....I agree Patrick, no they haven't. There's still a long way to go, but I do believe that Lance has put together a very nice post summarizing a lot of the improvements that have been made.

BTW, I didn't read your last post before writing this, so maybe you surprised me.....

I just wanna say that I love Adult Swim. Robot Chicken hits all the right notes and always makes me LOL. Squidbillies is great as well.

mike im not gonna ask you again quit making this personal...if your so sick of it and claming i constantly state the fact then obviously i made my case way before this post and you know it and this post adds to it. So save it for somebody else. I don't understand what your problem is. You knew my case before this. I added. Then you tell me i'm correct? All your doing is agreeing with me stating that case that more could be done. And Who's Bruce? I made my opinion I waited for feedback I added some this was gonna be what i thought could be an interesting discussion and your just trying to start something. I been polite...attack me one more time and it's gonna get ugly. just respect my opinion and keep the personal attack to yourself, it's truly uncalled for and disrespectful, i never said i was any genius and don't you even think about putting words in my mouth. stop the **** now!

As an avid Drag Racing fan I watch the commercials like a hawk !
I worked in TV early in life ad know a bit of what I speak !

The number and varity of commericals atests to the popularity and health of the series.
If all you see is automotive commercials a few PSA's and Promo's it's in the crapper.

If you see Wendy's countering In And Out Burgers and National Tire and Battery going against Quicktime and everyone jumping on the bandwaggon to get their name on the side of a car it means everything.

Yep pay attention to the commercials cause they are the future and it won't happen long without them.
When there are lot's of non automotive commericals it signals boom for the sport.

Lets keep this from becoming a personal attack on others. Everyone has an opinion. You might not agree with them but they do get to express their opinion without being attacked. Lets keep it civil before we have a staging burndown....lol

Thanks,
Shannon

.................but I guess not exactly being a clear non profit and giving all the brass huge salaries are more important...................
Well to be fair Patrick, this is what is being referenced. Sure, it IS your opinion, but has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion. If you want an intelligent conversation, stick to the subject at hand and keep your personal distaste for the "BRASS" out of the equation.

I'm not sure how an advertiser's reference to NHRA on the Cartoon Network constitutes progress. - :rolleyes:

Well to be fair Patrick, this is what is being referenced. Sure, it IS your opinion, but has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion. If you want an intelligent conversation, stick to the subject at hand and keep your personal distaste for the "BRASS" out of the equation.

it is 100% what you just wrote and nhra brass. who else decides what road the sport travels from 1 week to the next?

The reason the NHRA is on Twitter and Facebook trying to get at the younger demographic. Another good idea is to show up at career day at elementary, middle schools, high schools, and junior colleges. The NBA does a good job with Boys and Girls Club of America. Mentoring programs. The Jr. Dragster League does not have any mainstream media attention because you see no ads, commercials, or reporting done. The only way I know about it is because I get National Dragster. You have to cast a wider net. So everybody acknowledges there needs to be improvement but how long do we have to wait? Is the time right when you got 10,000 for a national event. The age old saying is true, "To much is given much is expected

The reason the NHRA is on Twitter and Facebook trying to get at the younger demographic. Another good idea is to show up at career day at elementary, middle schools, high schools, and junior colleges. The NBA does a good job with Boys and Girls Club of America. Mentoring programs. The Jr. Dragster League does not have any mainstream media attention because you see no ads, commercials, or reporting done. The only way I know about it is because I get National Dragster. You have to cast a wider net. So everybody acknowledges there needs to be improvement but how long do we have to wait? Is the time right when you got 10,000 for a national event. The age old saying is true, "To much is given much is expected

Thank you it's exactly what i'm saying if everyone on this thread who wants to insult me just open up there mind and realize I don't hate the NHRA brass, I just think they take there jobs and salaries for granted. I mean we can't do that when we work, so why should they?

You hit it right on the head and it's not about criticism, it's common sense. How long do we have to wait for improvement to be made? We're going several years in a row now where nhra just takes a blind eye to some key issues. A good example: Back when they had 2 stops in chicago and later dropped the fall race due to horrible attendance. I still feel there should be 2 stops in chicago as it used to be the 2 races a season where you know record performance would be challenged. How about we go back to that?

In fact low national event attendance is the only thing I see the NHRA actually try and fix but cancelling or changing a race date is not enough. Other than the oildown thing I do credit them for being aware, but it seems like they went overkill there, you just can't make such a harsh penalty as throwing out a run when some teams can't repeat that performance, it may just get teams to not show up. You can't make a team promise no failure, because your low budget tf or fc guy may of found the performace but not the way to do it problem free just yet.

On the national event side there not promoting enough. The best pre-event promotion I know of is ran by mopar the week of the event for the mile high nats looks like an annual car show and meet they had for a few years now. We need something like that everywhere that is not just tied to nhra but is tied to an event where you would get non nhra fans that stumble upon the nhra. It just annoys me that it's like the nhra takes the mentality that every car guy knows of the nhra and just dont go or watch on tv and that's not the case.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back