muscle cars and nhra tv broadcasts (1 Viewer)

sammi

Nitro Member
NHRA is missing a once in a lifetime opportunity by not including stock and super stock in it's Sunday broadcasts.

I spend a ludicrous amount of time watching auctions and build shows featuring...wait for it...muscle cars. NHRA could tap into a large tv audience by showing a little love for the amazing muscle car show that takes place in stock and super stock at every national event. Most die hard fans love the kinetic car show that stock and super stock is. We drool over these cars on Barrett-Jackson, Chasing Classic Cars, and at least 6 other shows. Why can't we see a 427 Camaro or a 340 Duster run down the track. These cars could really add a fresh new direction to the show.

Mark, I love stock and super stock more than the next guy, and I think they should show ALL the sportsman final rounds before the pro finals, but look at the stands when the pros are done. The NHRA sees this and there's no way ESPN and the NHRA are gonna take 5 minutes of airtime away from John Force to show some 10 second muscle cars. The only TV coverage you're going to get is the final round of the sportsman eliminations during the final 10 minutes of the Top Alcohol show a week later.

both good points....sad that the sportsman pays to play and gets Nothing but Hassles and Run Arounds....bumped for the pro show...put off till monday if it runs past curfew...qualifiers bumped if theres lots of oil downs or other track issues..yet they keep raising the price to join the experience!!!....oh well I guess thats why we haven't been to an NHRA event this year.

NHRA is missing a once in a lifetime opportunity by not including stock and super stock in it's Sunday broadcasts.

I spend a ludicrous amount of time watching auctions and build shows featuring...wait for it...muscle cars. NHRA could tap into a large tv audience by showing a little love for the amazing muscle car show that takes place in stock and super stock at every national event. Most die hard fans love the kinetic car show that stock and super stock is. We drool over these cars on Barrett-Jackson, Chasing Classic Cars, and at least 6 other shows. Why can't we see a 427 Camaro or a 340 Duster run down the track. These cars could really add a fresh new direction to the show.

Uh, maybe you didn't notice, but late models go the fastest, do less spectacular wheelstands and are starting to dominate Stock and Super Stock. So there goes you classic car theory. Besides, joe average didn't watch when early muscle cars did dominate the finals.

They used to show the finals, minus the sg/sc (too hard to explain to newbies watching) I wish they would show the more of the sportsman. Pinks seems to be able to fill the stands for shows featuring these type of cars. It would seem if done right, there is something to tap into.

I'd like to see those finals, too, even at the cost of one less Force interview. Often, the Lucas show only highlights a few of the Sportsman winners.
As for S/G and S/C P.J. - they may be too hard to explain even to us old guys.
(For the record: I attended my first drag race in 1960).
Cheers,
Ed

I think we all know there is a stultifying sameness to the NHRA shows-same people, same contrived JFR interviews, same cars...zzzzzzz

Why not block out a half an hour and look into a particular sportsman class. New cars and faces could only liven up the broadcast. There was a great story in Vegas from the sportsman side of the fence. Two brothers won a category at the same event. How often does that happen? Don't stockers and super stockers use parts that are roughly similar to passenger cars (except the ss/am..em cars). Isn't the bulk of advertising on the show automotive related?

My main problem with the sportsman categories is all the use of electronics on the cars. On PINKS they run the cars all out. It is so difficult to explain to the new fan what is going on with handicaps and why the cars fall on their face off the line then hit it again. The NE1 and NE2 categories dont use electronics and manage to tune to a dial in. Why cant the sportsman guys do that? Im no crew chief nor do I claim to be an expert. However having been going to the races since the tender age of 2, Im 29 now, I have never really been that into the sportsman categories. Race heads up. Full throttle all the way. Just my opinion again.

. Race heads up. Full throttle all the way. Just my opinion again.

It took me many years to figure out the handicapped start system (I never simply looked up the rules on the internet and instead put the pieces together over many trips to the track(, the indexes for particular cars and particular setups. I think I understand it, but maybe I still don't.

Maybe it would work from a pure show standpoint... muscle car fans watching this particular model with this particular engine... or this pure stock car running this speed and time.

When you put two cars together for a race though, unless the viewer clearly understands the performance based index system it would just be confusing, as its not heads up as most viewers think of heads up (it's a handicapped start). You'd get alot of "Of course he won he had a head start!" or "Wow he beat him even with a head start"

Recall the immortal words of Maxwell Q. Smart, "It'll never work, but it's certainly worth a try!"
Or we could get a new sonogram highlight from Ashley each show.
Cheers,
Ed
P.S. Calm down. I like Ashley. Sheesh.

the NHRA struggles to tell a story 22x a year with it's dozen or so top nitro
stars, it's best supporting cast of PS drivers and cameo appearances
by the PSB riders.......not sure if there's a roll for mr. muscle car. :eek:

they could show the finals of comp, ss, and stock; at the very least it
reveals an nhra nat. event to be more than the pro classes which just mite
snag a car buff out to a nat. event?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back