What is your idea of a Strong NHRA? (1 Viewer)

have u noticed even the tv shows talk less and less about points?....who the f cares about points....it's 24 events
in 19 markets in front of as many spectators who will pay money to watch it; and i'd be real surprised if it can
be shown that the countdown has had ANY impact on tv ratings or attendance for the races following the nationals.
( and will admit i was in favor of it when it was introduced and still don't mind it, it just has no residual value)

4-wides....ask yourself this; if you could travel to see any drag race, where would
the 4-wides rank in importance?
personally i'll take my annual trek to BIR, it's just too much fun; followed by cordova world series and/or either of the famoso spring or fall races, then the rest
are all about the same, maybe vegas just cause of the city/fun.
concord does have a golf course next door though so a round on fri and qual
rounds on sat mite not be too bad :)

Last edited:
No more 4-wide??? Just how is it that 4-wide is hurting the sport???Why is it that 4-wide scares so many fans???
I don't know anything about fans being scared but I do know I used to go to 15 or 16 races each year. Went to the first 4 wide and promptly canceled my plans to attend the fall LV race plus a couple of other races in protest. Since that race I've went less and less until last year I didn't attend any. Of course there are other reasons for my displeasure with them but it all started with the 4 wide.

i'd be real surprised if it can
be shown that the countdown has had ANY impact on tv ratings or attendance for the races following the nationals.
( and will admit i was in favor of it when it was introduced and still don't mind it, it just has no residual value)

I don't know, Mike, I'm just not so sure. Take the Vegas races for instance. The spring race has moderate turnout, the fall race (next to last race of the year) usually has excellent attendance. Now, a bunch of that could be because winter is coming and people want to get in a last fix on drag racing, or the snow has started to fly and people are rushing to the warm weather, or it could be because teams are going to potentially clinch the championship. I don't know.

I also don't know what the turnout of those races was before the countdown -- I went to many of them (went to both Vegas races for a number of years), but I just don't recall...

my thought is the fall vegas race is scheduled w/sema so the fit is natural for boosting attendance; really can't
imagine someone making airline reservations to a fall race because they have to be there in person to watch
the outcome of a points race (and the same applies to nascar's 'chase'). the 'playoff' points of nascar and nhra
are aimed @ tv ratings and can not comment on nascar, but it sure doesn't appear than the countdown has done
anything for the nhra

Yep, forgot about that, I'm sure that's a good sized draw. And it's Halloween in Vegas, which you have to see to really appreciate.

As to "really can't imagine someone making airline reservations to a fall race because they have to be there in person", every race I was at there were always a few people around me who came specifically for the race -- and were able to convince the wife to come along because it was Vegas and it was warm. More than a few snow-birds from Canada...

I don't know anything about fans being scared but I do know I used to go to 15 or 16 races each year. Went to the first 4 wide and promptly canceled my plans to attend the fall LV race plus a couple of other races in protest. Since that race I've went less and less until last year I didn't attend any. Of course there are other reasons for my displeasure with them but it all started with the 4 wide.
Why did the 4-wide change you from 16 races to none.

The Spring race has always been less attended than the Fall race in Vegas, in my opinion the Countdown has nothing to do with the disparity in attendance, particularly since the disparity existed long before the Countdown.

It is all of the reasons mentioned above, SEMA, second to last chance to catch a race, weather, Halloween, usually easier to convince the wife to come to Vegas than another event, usually big car counts as it is easy to hit Vegas 2 and Pomona 2 back to back, people usually have accrued more vacation time near the end of the year, if you are going to travel to a race early in the year then Pomona 1 or Gainesville are more likely candidates.

Points very well taken, Chris. I don't know what the effect of the countdown has been on attendance or viewership. I'd like to believe other forces (economic, promotional, whatever) have had more effect, but since the data isn't public, we are all left guessing.

Why did the 4-wide change you from 16 races to none.
I was/am very disatisfied with the 4 wide. I was told Mr. smith was going to convert Vegas to 4 wide also so I cancelled my planned attendance at that race although now I continue to go to Vegas about that time because of SEMA, halloween in vegas and the reunion. I guess after the 4 wide my disatisfaction continued to grow. I stll enjoy drag racing but not the national events althought I sometime watch parts of them after recording them. I guess I'm just a geezer because I like the nostalgia events and the reunions. Current NHRA drag racing reminds me of the old cookie cutter IROC races and the 4 wide is like the keystone cops on steriods. JMO

Points very well taken, Chris. I don't know what the effect of the countdown has been on attendance or viewership. I'd like to believe other forces (economic, promotional, whatever) have had more effect, but since the data isn't public, we are all left guessing.

I agree, the economic swoon is the most likely factor in my humble opinion, the Countdown or 1,000 foot racing are convenient excuses in most cases for people to keep their dollars or spend them elsewhere.

its amazing some folks always likes to talk about us rednecks being idiots and brainless but seems NHRA keeps following the footsteps of the roundie round
bunch imagine that :eek:

Thanks Joe for starting this thread. I think I know what you wanted to discuss.
To save OUR sport, we have to get back to the basics of racing: To prove that ones brand is the better, that one is the better mechanic, that one is the best driver. Simple..
Fuel cars are too fast and the race is too short. Lets slow them down by decreasing displacement and going back to the 1320. Let the rules state no more than 430 c.i.d. and no less than 425 c.i.d. Think of the brand advertising possibilties; Boss 429, 426 Hemi, 427 DROCE, 430 Tora Tora Tora(or whatever). We need the auto manufacturers to be involved!
Pro Stocks must change to fuel injection, total electronic engine management. We are in the 21st century after all. N.H.R.A. spec engine control modules would be part of the rules .
Stock and Super Stock vechicles must be production makes and models produced in the last 10 years. Drive axles must be the same as produced by the manfacturer. The dealerships are full of kids who bust arse daily, but have no safe to prove thier skills. Most of today's S and S/S cars would fit nicely into a nostalgia race, just not at a national event. Again, lets keep the auto manufacturers involved by staying current.
Comp classes must have a new categories that allow basically stock engines and stock electronics in proven chassis. Four cyclinders limited to 2.5 liters fit into a front engine altered/roadster style N.H.R.A. spec chassis and a class for each normally aspriated and one for pressurized intakes(no bottles, engine produced only). Then 4 liters or less V6's in a N.H.R.A. spec rear engine dragster and again two classes one n.a. and one pressurized. The Super (index)classes are to be changed into the Senior Dragster category and race at L.O.D.R.A. meets or junior dragster events. NO drag race fan wants to watch race cars slow down on the track.
This sport grew without any major series sponsors. We must instill the desire to race and to be a fan in today's world without concern for the social media of any sort. Make the "media" come to the N.H.R.A. NOT the other way around.

NO drag race fan wants to watch race cars slow down on the track.
This sport grew without any major series sponsors. We must instill the desire to race and to be a fan in today's world without concern for the social media of any sort. Make the "media" come to the N.H.R.A. NOT the other way around.

Dead on the money.

My idea of a strong N.H.R.A. is one that packs the fans in and has Full Car Counts at every event. I would also like to see more TV coverage if they can convince the major networks of the value of drag racing.

I believe they would also love to see these things happen but it not easy to do in this economy and with peoples interest changing.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

National events need to be all pro. You can't charge a lot of money for people to get in then make them sit thru throttle stop racing, and the first one to the finish line looses because he got there too quick.

Make the nitro TADs a pro class, add Pro mod, 8 car transformer fuel altereds. It would be the hottest show in town and could probably be pulled off in two days.

Jay Eshbach I agree with you about the throttle stop racing and I also don't like it but if the N.H.R.A. ever went all Pro I would never attend another event.

In my mind all the other classes are what have made the N.H.R.A. what it is today. Some times when I look at the way certain classes like the Alcohol guys have been treated it makes really mad.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

http://www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back