NHRA, if this is true, I'm outta here... (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
snipped from the insidetopalcohol site:

I had another TAD owner tell me at Dallas that he is close to some of the pro racers and they have had meetings wit HD. He was told that the TAD and TAFC classes would not be part of the National events and they are leaning toward two day events with qualifying on Sat. and racing on Sunday.

Some of my favorite drag racing memories have been in the alcohol classes.

Heck, just this year at Indy, I saw the record quick TAFC field, and Marty Thacker's win in a blown car were both memories I'll have a long time.

If you polled fans on which sportsmen classes they would watch, I guarantee you the alcohol classes would have way more than the super classes, and probably more than the other sportsmen classes as well.

No disrespect to any other divisions, but the day Frank Manzo or Bill Reichert aren't allowed to race in their classes at a national even will be the last day I spend my $$ on an NHRA event.

In my opinion,one of the things that really make the fuel classes stand out is watching the alcohol classes run beforehand.Both of the alcohol classes are so wild and hearing them rev there motors before the launch,blown alcohol of course,and hearing them shift gears,is a great show in itself.Then when the pros run you have something to compare them to.I think it would be real wrong to take Top Alcohol dragster and Top Alcohol funny car from the show.

From a revenue perspective, I would find it hard to believe they would cut a day off of the race weekend. I think the Alcohol cars provide a great show in between pro rounds and I would be interested to see if HD did eliminate these cars how would they fill the time.

There's nothing good that can come out of this. IF this is true and it probably is, it's the start of a new format for the alcohol cars such as a Busch type series that we have been hearing about off and on over the last year or so. If they do it let's hope the events aren't heald the weekend after a national event so we can get some folks in the stands.

I think they have already reduced the number of national events the alky guys run to 16, I would hate to see cutting them out of anymore events. For instance, there is no alkyhol at the upcoming Vegas race.

I agree with Paul, no way they cut that 3rd day off a national event. The track owners/promoters would have a fit. After you factor in all the concession/ticket/other revenue splits ... most owners/promoters need that third day to make the event truly profitable. They could probably get healthy in a 2 day event, but not like they are now...

What would be the upside of this move? Less revenue days, you still have to fill the day with racing, and we know that its not the purse that's breaking the bank . . . hard to follow the logic. If the rumor was about super classes rather than a heads up class, I could maybe understand it. The executives at HD are trying to grow the top line (revenue) and begin to build a respectable, sustainable bottom line (Earnings Per Share) . . . are you going to start that by taking out an exciting feeder class to the Nitro class . . . and are you going to do that right before the last two Force girls come through one of those classes?

I hope this isn't the case.

snipped from the insidetopalcohol site:

Some of my favorite drag racing memories have been in the alcohol classes.

Heck, just this year at Indy, I saw the record quick TAFC field, and Marty Thacker's win in a blown car were both memories I'll have a long time.

If you polled fans on which sportsmen classes they would watch, I guarantee you the alcohol classes would have way more than the super classes, and probably more than the other sportsmen classes as well.

No disrespect to any other divisions, but the day Frank Manzo or Bill Reichert aren't allowed to race in their classes at a national even will be the last day I spend my $$ on an NHRA event.

I guess Michael brains think the same all over the globe hehe!

For me I wont go to a national event without TAD/TAFC. Marty's win at Indy this year will also stick in my memory bank for a long time, as will Franks 10th win at Indy, and that last TAFC session early Sunday morning, bumping going left right and center, excellent racing.

Anyway back to the topic Michael, I was talking with Scott (One of Manzos' crew members back in Reading) And he mentioned this to me, it's not something that's going to happen in say the next year or so, but it is probably coming. Here is another thing for ya, this new group want to turn TA into like... WAIT FOR THIS, (don't have a drink in your hand right now or else your computers going to get messy) THE BUSCH SERIES....

So like you Michael, if it happens, my $$ wont be seeing any NHRA light again, even if I am a sucker for TF too.

Take care,

Mike

This sure seems counterproductive to making money. Seems like there are pretty good crowds on Fridays and the night qualifying is always the best. Every drag race I have ever been to (more then I can count in the last 20 years), the alcohol cars fill the stands more then the other sportsman classes. I would rather see them expand the events by adding a day instead of shortening them.

No surprise here at all. I have nothing against alcohol, but this is exactly what has to happen in order to be able to put together a good LIVE TV package. Until they can do a live show NHRA will continue to get crappy time slots and be bumped by poker and spelling bees. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to have pro only national events.

If that indeed comes to pass, that would really stink.

Divisional races are not too well attended around here. I would be a large injustice to the teams who are spending a ton of $$ to play that game.

I looked over at ITA and didn't see anything about this! Can you provide a link? As for the possibility of this coming to pass, I'm not sure how many races I'd go to! How much does HD/NHRA plan to charge for a 1/2 show? But Forking out $230-300 in Airfare to attend a 2 day race? I may end up saving a Butt load next year!

Last edited:
That would SUCK big time... lot of teams depend on those events to keep their sponsors happy....

Billy

Here is another thing for ya, this new group want to turn TA into like... WAIT FOR THIS, (don't have a drink in your hand right now or else your computers going to get messy) THE BUSCH SERIES....

I wish NHRA would get over their NASCAR envy.

The PS Truck class was a poorly thought out attempt to jump on the Craftsman Truck series bandwagon. That decision cost NHRA a bunch of $, if rumors are true.

This new points deal, despite the announcers and racers toeing the company line, is not viewed favorably by the majority of the fans. It is contrived and fake, not to mention poorly implemented. Last year's TF battle should be proof positive a change wasn't needed.

NHRA is not oval racing. While I like both, what works for NASCAR will not necessarily work for NHRA, and vice versa.

Oh, and by the way, most NASCAR fans I've talked to hate the Chase as well- they see it for what it is- contrived. BTW- anyone notice all those empty seats masquerading as spectators at many NASCAR events? TV ratings are down and attendance is down at most of their races. Maybe there are reasons for this if they bothered to investigate???

Here's a novel idea- instead of copying something from an organization whose events are by necessity structured differently than a drag race, why not try go approach it as a drag racing event and structure things accordingly???

just a thought.

If that indeed comes to pass, that would really stink.

Divisional races are not too well attended around here. I would be a large injustice to the teams who are spending a ton of $$ to play that game.

If you look back at the divisional attendance thread it talks about low or no attendance. If we notice these things, you can be sure HDP does as well.
If you were HDP and purchased the NHRA, and you had to increase the revenue or lower expense...

Hmmm, nobody goes to divisionals, so nobody must really care for the Alky cars.. Let's bag them..

I think it's a very bad idea, but other than true fans, and people within the environment, who would miss the Alky cars?

Ask Joe Casual Fan the next time your are at a National Event who Frank Manzo, Bob Tasca, Bob Newberry or Jay Payne is. Ask them what Tony Bartone was doing a few years ago.. My money is on the fact that they have no idea. I could be wrong, I hope that I am wrong..

The rumor of Evan buying the IHRA just might be true if this does happen. I think he sees what is going to happen and can capitalize on it.

For me, I'd like to see an "official" or semi-official statement on either of these rumors before I get my shorts in a twist.

Maybe its CRS but, I thought it was stated in the original HD info that the alcohol classes would operate under the auspices of the "new" HD-NHRA.

Whether that makes them PRO or not, it seems to be the natural feeder for the pro classes.

I'm almost as skeptical as the next guy but, you've 'gotta hope that new owners will insist management not act in the same boneheaded (not-for-profit) manner they have in the past.

As far as eliminating the Friday show: makes no sense. The costs of running the 3rd day HAVE to be far offset by the gate (etc$$). Friday also gives an extra day buffer on the weather.

(Spoken by a fan who prefers Friday over Sunday attendance - who doesn't believe "Live broadcast" is some Holy Grail.)

And now maybe folks will understand why I am so against the countdown. It is only step one in the attempt by the non racing suits in control to take the soul out of Drag racing. Call it nascarification, call it dumbing down call it a stunt.

If you don't start complaining now then by the time you realize what is happening then it is too late.

I will admit to the average fan the don't now about Alky or the rest of the sportsman classes. I was disappointed when on a recent telecast the write in question from a fan was along the lines of what do the fans do when the cars aren't running. That would have been a perfect opportunity to show the midway and the pits, which they did, but also to show that there is a wide array of classes that go on throughout the day. Maybe even showing how those classes have been the starting point for so many of today's drivers. From Cory, Morgan, Hillary, Brandon and Ashley in the alky classes to Fuller, Jeg, Connolly and Line in the super classes. It would have been a nice way to increase awareness about the entire brand rather then a few classes. Nitro is exciting and no doubt the main draw, but I think the powers that be would be shocked to see how amazed a first timer at the track is over a full size super stock station wagon leaving with the wheels up. I've taken many first timers to the races and I always make sure that they see it all, so far every one of them ends up with an appreciation for the entire sport and not just the 300mph kings.

The sad thing is if Glendora doesn't believe in our sport, and with possible moves like this and scams like the countdown, it appears they don't. Then why would sponsors??

No surprise here at all. I have nothing against alcohol, but this is exactly what has to happen in order to be able to put together a good LIVE TV package. Until they can do a live show NHRA will continue to get crappy time slots and be bumped by poker and spelling bees. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to have pro only national events.

In order to put a pro only national event they would still need a filler or put them on 30 minute turnaround. Make TAFC, TAD, and pro mod a pro class and then you could put on a live show with pros only if that's what they want.
It bad enough that TAFC and TAD can't be at Sportsnationals now they want to remove them from national events, WTF.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back