NHRA, if this is true, I'm outta here... (1 Viewer)

It's amazing how futile a Taped delay show is these days. Remember when we didn't see a race for 3-4 weeks after the fact? How spoiled we have become...:rolleyes:
3-4 weeks??? How about months and without the internet, you had to hope you'd stumble onto the Diamond P show;). That being said, I think Mr Rathman has some good points, but I miss the old TNN live shows, where they would occaisonally give you bonus Alcohol/sportsman coverage. Oh yeah remember the Castrol GTX pipeline 900 number?

S/F
D

3-4 weeks??? How about months and without the internet, you had to hope you'd stumble onto the Diamond P show;). That being said, I think Mr Rathman has some good points, but I miss the old TNN live shows, where they would occaisonally give you bonus Alcohol/sportsman coverage. Oh yeah remember the Castrol GTX pipeline 900 number?

S/F
D

D,

Off topic, you ever thought about catching a cheap flight form Japan To Australia for some racing ;)

S/F
D

D, just about every race back in 85-87 was about a 3-4 week delay unless it was one of the 3-4 races that ended up on ABC sports, then it was the next week!:p

D,

Off topic, you ever thought about catching a cheap flight form Japan To Australia for some racing ;)
I've thought about it, but its not that cheap, I have to bounce from here to the mainland, that adds a few bucks to the ticket. I keep hoping work will send me down there and I can stay on the backend for some racing. Who know I may have to dig a little deeper and just do it. On a random note I'm going to hit the Tokyo Auto Salon again in January you should come check it out.

S/F
D

I've thought about it, but its not that cheap, I have to bounce from here to the mainland, that adds a few bucks to the ticket. I keep hoping work will send me down there and I can stay on the backend for some racing. Who know I may have to dig a little deeper and just do it. On a random note I'm going to hit the Tokyo Auto Salon again in January you should come check it out.

S/F
D

Pictures D... lots of Pictures....
They make great wallpaper....

d'kid

D, just about every race back in 85-87 was about a 3-4 week delay unless it was one of the 3-4 races that ended up on ABC sports, then it was the next week!:p

Also remember they actually had a few PPV all day races many years ago. I thought it was the best $14.99 I had spent in years. Had a lot of just cameras looking down the strip and you could hear the PA. Seems like it was at least 8 hours worth of drag racing. I guess there were not too many people that bought it and they did not continue with it.

I wish they would try it again.

S/F
D

1-900-468-NHRA it cost $1.25 for the first minute and 75 cents for each additional minute. They used to give the results so fast that you'd have to listen to the qualifying lists twice so in the end each call would average about 5 bucks. I used to have to run for cover when my mother would get the phone bill especially the August bill which would have the western swing races plus Brainerd. I guess the long and short of it is, it could be worse than having to wait through overtime of seemingly meaningless college football games to see qualifying.

Last edited:
Sometimes the nature of the beast, is what it is. I don't believe they will ever be able to squeeze the show into a small enough window to air an event from start to finish live. Drag racing is too unpredictable. Based on the ratings, in comparison to other sports, I would much rather see drag racing a couple hours tape delayed, then to watch the first couple of rounds, and then have ESPN break away for a baseball game, spelling bee or poker tournament.

I am not an expert, but I think this scenario would become common place if they were to achieve their goal of live TV.

Just my .02.

Also remember they actually had a few PPV all day races many years ago. I thought it was the best $14.99 I had spent in years. Had a lot of just cameras looking down the strip and you could hear the PA. Seems like it was at least 8 hours worth of drag racing. I guess there were not too many people that bought it and they did not continue with it.

I wish they would try it again.
I remember that, I got DirecTV just for that and then they stopped doing it.

D

1-900-468-NHRA it cost $1.25 for the first minute and 75 cents for each additional minute. They used to give the results so fast that you'd have to listen to the qualifying lists twice so in the end each call would average about 5 bucks. I used to have to run for cover when my mother would get the phone bill especially the August bill which would have the western swing races plus Brainerd. I guess the long and short of it is, it could be worse than having to wait through overtime of seemingly meaningless college football games to see qualifying.

That silly thing really ate into my poor college student budget. I wish AFN showed qualifying and the sportsmen. Stars and Stripes covers NASCAR, IRL, F1 and ChampCar, but no drag racing, not even the bad news.

S/F
D

Copy, I'll try to do a better job on Friday when the crowds are smaller.

D

aye, capt'n... could have something to do with the fact I live at anime/manga central... I've even learned to read back to front right to left....

are there going to be cars there, too?

back on topic:
at this point in life, if I just got ladders the same day I could deal... and yeah, even a ppv would work... but think about this... TNN and ESPN made NASCAR a household word, along with CBS live coverage of Daytona in '79.... two cable networks...

to grow, the 'HRAs need to launch their own Cable Network, together...

aye, capt'n... could have something to do with the fact I live at anime/manga central... I've even learned to read back to front right to left....

are there going to be cars there, too?

back on topic:
at this point in life, if I just got ladders the same day I could deal... and yeah, even a ppv would work... but think about this... TNN and ESPN made NASCAR a household word, along with CBS live coverage of Daytona in '79.... two cable networks...

to grow, the 'HRAs need to launch their own Cable Network, together...
I'm still a little behind on learning Nihongo. I'm not sure if starting their own network would be the way to go today, 10 years ago yes, now too many channels out there. That being said if they could negotiate a deal where NHRA was in good time slots on ABC/ESPN and IHRA was on ESPN/ESPN2 to build drag racing brand awareness, that would be helpful.

S/F
D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back