NHRA needs to reinvent Indy (1 Viewer)

Lots of good points Dave. I remember being at Indy when TF had cars fighting to get into a 32 car field! The last year my dad ran Comp there, 1971, racers were still towing their rigs back to their hotels every night and back to the track the next morning, all 1000ish of them! Still don't know how they did that. Nothing stays the same, I'm actually surprised so much about NHRA racing HAS stayed the same for 60+ years. I myself like the fact that finals are actually on Labor Day, but that's the nostalgia in me, maybe it doesn't need to be anymore. I do agree anything that can be added or changed to make Indy standout even more special would be welcomed. Having 1 1/2 points was a good move. And, the shootouts are also a big part of it. The main thing is that, as Dave mentioned, all motorsports have had to adapt to changing times, NHRA is sometimes slow to do that. However, as I've said, to me Indy is still special, and I'm sure a huge part of that is the memories I've collected since going as a little kid.

My first two times at Indy, 77 & 79 were two of the last three years they ran the 32 car TF fields. In fact, starting in 77, so they could still accommodate a 32 car field, first round was on Sunday.

My first two times at Indy, 77 & 79 were two of the last three years they ran the 32 car TF fields. In fact, starting in 77, so they could still accommodate a 32 car field, first round was on Sunday.

You and Nunz have great memories of US Nat's when you were kids. What memories can kids take away from the 2017 US Nats?

I've been going to Indy since 1969 and I think they should leave it as is. Maybe fix the facility up some and make it more handicapped friendly, shuttles etc.

You're not missing much, Mike. It basically boils down to a play by play of people's daily activities. which I found out is rather boring. I was guilty of this, too,
when I was using Facebook regularly, but I decided between the BS of others and mine own form of BS, it was time to ditch social media. Now I just follow
people on twitter and instagram for some cool photos and comedic posts.

I concur. I also have a 'generic' Facebook account with a random name and no friends list that I use to follow racing-related content.

I've been going to Indy since 1969 and I think they should leave it as is. Maybe fix the facility up some and make it more handicapped friendly, shuttles etc.

Ok. They can leave it as it is and have (maybe) 20 Comp cars, less than full fields for both alcohol classes, maybe 90 SC/SG... if they're lucky. Look at this year's entry list because at the moment that's what it looks like.

You and Nunz have great memories of US Nat's when you were kids. What memories can kids take away from the 2017 US Nats?

My daughter will be making her annual trip to Indy with me, at 16 she has great memories from every trip so far

i can't imagine traxxas will continue to put up the big bucks at indy too much longer......that seems like an awful lot of money
spent on one weekend in a sport you've already introduced yourself to via courtney force for 5 years.
when PS and PSB folds, and the mello yello money is freed up to spend on the nitro categories, just ask traxxas to take that
$200k and put into same funds......more Q and 1st rnd loser for TF and FC over all the races. IMO that would be a much needed
boost to the series, not just one race.

Bring a young kid to Indy this year and I guarantee he/she will leave having made memories that will last. I was 9 the very first time I went to Indy. My dad was racing, so naturally I have very special memories from that year, 1971. But from then on, whether we've been involved with a car or not, we've made it a point to attend Indy, to do just that: make memories. We all have ideas as to how to make it stand out even more, but I'm not going to let longing for "the good old days" stop me from enjoying what I believe to be a fantastic event. Alan, I'll see you there, look for an Italian who's shorter than you! :D

Many excellent comments on trying to make Indy even a better experience for everyone from racers to fans.

Chris Cook I liked all of your thoughts on making Indy better but one big question is where will all the money come from to make the needed changes to the buildings and property and also to the payouts which are long over due for years.

With car counts in some classes down finding the money to make the needed changes could be a real problem for the N.H.R.A.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

The deadline for entering the US Nationals is Monday, Aug. 28 (I believe). With 12 days to go and counting, car counts for sportsmen are way down. While there will be a few more entering, itis possible neither alcohol class will have a full field (both have 12 entries as of this post) Comp certainly won't,(11 entries) and SC/SG are also down (65 each).

As a fan and not a racer, I do not pretend to know all the reasons why, but among the reasons that seem logical are 6 days is unnecessary and is more time away from work when many racers have other responsibilities.

Some ideas: Start Thursday, finish Sunday, maybe even start final eliminations at 5 with full live pro coverage to be done by 10, including televising some of the sportsmen racing. I know Darlington is on NBC then but how much viewer crossover is there really?

Let Monday be a travel day. Also, all classes with a National Championship should be ran there. Add Top Sportsman and Top Dragster.

The current quota for SC\SG is 180. Be realistic to the times and cut to 90. Allow a quota of 40 Comp (we may not get even that many)with 32 car field, and 40 TS/TD for 32 car field.

Other ideas- have the Super classes be dark on Friday and run class eliminations for both Stock and Super Stock that day with Round 1 for all sportsmen on starting 8am Sat. morning. Pick up Round 2 8am Sunday.

Cut TAD, TAFC, Comp to 3 qualifying sessions and Pros back to 4 like everywhere else, whether they run 2 Fri/2Sat or 1 Fri/2 Sat/1 early PM Sunday.

These are just ideas that could be tweaked as there are logistical considerations, or maybe someone would have a better idea. I would hate for nothing to be done and this race lose the appeal to Sportsmen, but based on lagging entries many of these racers are voting with their feet.

What changes would YOU like to see for the US Nationals?
The biggest complaint you always hear
The deadline for entering the US Nationals is Monday, Aug. 28 (I believe). With 12 days to go and counting, car counts for sportsmen are way down. While there will be a few more entering, itis possible neither alcohol class will have a full field (both have 12 entries as of this post) Comp certainly won't,(11 entries) and SC/SG are also down (65 each).

As a fan and not a racer, I do not pretend to know all the reasons why, but among the reasons that seem logical are 6 days is unnecessary and is more time away from work when many racers have other responsibilities.

Some ideas: Start Thursday, finish Sunday, maybe even start final eliminations at 5 with full live pro coverage to be done by 10, including televising some of the sportsmen racing. I know Darlington is on NBC then but how much viewer crossover is there really?

Let Monday be a travel day. Also, all classes with a National Championship should be ran there. Add Top Sportsman and Top Dragster.

The current quota for SC\SG is 180. Be realistic to the times and cut to 90. Allow a quota of 40 Comp (we may not get even that many)with 32 car field, and 40 TS/TD for 32 car field.

Other ideas- have the Super classes be dark on Friday and run class eliminations for both Stock and Super Stock that day with Round 1 for all sportsmen on starting 8am Sat. morning. Pick up Round 2 8am Sunday.

Cut TAD, TAFC, Comp to 3 qualifying sessions and Pros back to 4 like everywhere else, whether they run 2 Fri/2Sat or 1 Fri/2 Sat/1 early PM Sunday.

These are just ideas that could be tweaked as there are logistical considerations, or maybe someone would have a better idea. I would hate for nothing to be done and this race lose the appeal to Sportsmen, but based on lagging entries many of these racers are voting with their feet.

What changes would YOU like to see for the US Nationals?

The biggest complaint you hear about Indy from Racers is it's Too long!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back