Time to add TS and TD for Indy (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
Now that Top Sportsman and Top Dragster have a national championship, this fan feels they should get a shot at the US Nationals.

Yes, there are lots of vehicles already. However, there should be a way of integrating those classes.

For example, SG and SC have quotas of 180 and now show 130 and 118 entries respectively, SS is 20 under quota, and Comp has 52 when in it has had numbers in the 70s not too long ago.

With the amounts under quota, both TS and TD could easily have quotas of 40-48 cars for a 32 car field with the existing quota numbers. I know there would be way more racers than quota spots in those classes, but NHRA can figure out an appropriate grade point amount. It could work.

Since Comp is under the quota, dare I suggest looking into making that class a 32 car field at this event instead of the traditional 64?

If a class has a National Championship, imho they should have a chance to race at the world's largest race.

Although it comes at a bad time for me work wise, I agree. Being in division 3, the field would be crazy fast in TD. I would think you'd see a 6.3x bump (I think the Bowling Green divisional had a 6.49 bump last week with just 38 cars). We'd certainly figure out a way to make it there (and would help lower that 32 car bump).

I wouldn't mind seeing it. Regarding Comp, I hope they don't shrink the field to 32. The 64 car show at Indy has always been special, and I'd rather be optimistic and hope in the future we can fill the field again.

Although it comes at a bad time for me work wise, I agree. Being in division 3, the field would be crazy fast in TD. I would think you'd see a 6.3x bump (I think the Bowling Green divisional had a 6.49 bump last week with just 38 cars). We'd certainly figure out a way to make it there (and would help lower that 32 car bump).

A 6.3 bump in TD would be Stupid Fast! But I'll believe that when I see it. I've seen TD at Houston, Chicago and Vegas! Quickest bump I've seen is a 6.63!

Joe, pay attention to the St Louis national later in September .... I have a feeling that's gonna set the lowest bump for a national. Lots of people are sorting out what you need to do in the first 330 ft to post a low and consistent ET.

I would love to see the class in Indy , would be nice to see one in Vegas2 & Pomona as well. The class is growing nicely & does create quite a bit business within itself for parts suppliers & chassis builders . Its also a great stepping stone class between super comp & alcohol , its a class worth cultivating

Now that Top Sportsman and Top Dragster have a national championship, this fan feels they should get a shot at the US Nationals.

Yes, there are lots of vehicles already. However, there should be a way of integrating those classes.

For example, SG and SC have quotas of 180 and now show 130 and 118 entries respectively, SS is 20 under quota, and Comp has 52 when in it has had numbers in the 70s not too long ago.

With the amounts under quota, both TS and TD could easily have quotas of 40-48 cars for a 32 car field with the existing quota numbers. I know there would be way more racers than quota spots in those classes, but NHRA can figure out an appropriate grade point amount. It could work.

Since Comp is under the quota, dare I suggest looking into making that class a 32 car field at this event instead of the traditional 64?

If a class has a National Championship, imho they should have a chance to race at the world's largest race.
Lot's of questions on this one ...
They already race 10-12 hours per day (except Monday), how much longer should the days be?

Using 48 cars as an example (96 total for both classes) ... each qualifying session for TD/TS combined will take about 1 hour (without delays). Where do those extra hours (assuming 3 Q sessions) get built into the schedule? Add in 5 elimination rounds for each class and associated turnaround time.

And finally, I know Indy is spacious but the TS guys have monstrous rigs and motorhomes. TD is much more reasonable but regardless, that's another 100 pits spaces needed. Cutting Comp to a 32 car field (as suggested above) would only gain you a few spots. I am sure you would still get 40+ cars for an Indy 32 car Comp field.

It does makes sense and I like both TD and TS. I also understand Indy is special, but you can only fit 5 pounds in a 5 pound bag. :rolleyes:

Lot's of questions on this one ...
They already race 10-12 hours per day (except Monday), how much longer should the days be?

Using 48 cars as an example (96 total for both classes) ... each qualifying session for TD/TS combined will take about 1 hour (without delays). Where do those extra hours (assuming 3 Q sessions) get built into the schedule? Add in 5 elimination rounds for each class and associated turnaround time.

And finally, I know Indy is spacious but the TS guys have monstrous rigs and motorhomes. TD is much more reasonable but regardless, that's another 100 pits spaces needed. Cutting Comp to a 32 car field (as suggested above) would only gain you a few spots. I am sure you would still get 40+ cars for an Indy 32 car Comp field.

It does makes sense and I like both TD and TS. I also understand Indy is special, but you can only fit 5 pounds in a 5 pound bag. :rolleyes:

Drop throttle stop classes or make them run an open bracket (run whatever you want and pick your own dial) They used to have 180+ cars in lower sportsman classes show up. Granted rigs are bigger now and take up more space but I don't think it would take a miracle to fit a few more :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back