When NHRA does something right (US Nationals) (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
Not sure if this was mentioned on this board or not, but NHRA made imo a very proper decision for this year's US Nationals.

I've posted in the past that TD and TS should be ran there. This year, they are. In fact, in just a few hours TD is over 1/2 way to quota. Maybe someday those classes could have a 64 car field like Comp, but for now it's nice to see those cars coming to Indy.

Here's a question : What time do you think it will take to qualify for TD?

Not sure if this was mentioned on this board or not, but NHRA made imo a very proper decision for this year's US Nationals.

I've posted in the past that TD and TS should be ran there. This year, they are. In fact, in just a few hours TD is over 1/2 way to quota. Maybe someday those classes could have a 64 car field like Comp, but for now it's nice to see those cars coming to Indy.

Up the purses and Get Rid of the so-called super classes. :(

It all depends on who jumps in. There are only one or two on the list currently that aren't known for being able to hit the minimum, so if that holds true as the field fills, the bump could easily be around 6.20. It's difficult to say, especially this early, since it's not open to all for entry.

Edit: There have been several more entries, and a few of them aren't pushing the minimum (if they haven't made some recent upgrades). Unless they withdraw later or there are a lot of fast cars with quota immunity who enter after it's full, the bump won't look like a 6.10 index field.

Last edited:

There should be no breakout type racing at any national event, especially Indy. Imagine how cool it would to run those TDs, out the back door, first to the stripe wins.
They already have that. It's called Top Alcohol Dragster. A lot of the guys in TD run the class specifically because it's a bracket format, but still fast. I can't speak for the field on this one, but I have zero interest in fielding a heads-up car, except as a quick four side event to the main race.

Brad, so you ever run PDRA? I think they have a T/D Quick 4 or Quick 8 that is heads up. Then a "regular" T/D field as well. I've seen some of those cars go as quick as 3.69 in the 1/8 mile and that is quick for a T/D.

Brad, so you ever run PDRA? I think they have a T/D Quick 4 or Quick 8 that is heads up. Then a "regular" T/D field as well. I've seen some of those cars go as quick as 3.69 in the 1/8 mile and that is quick for a T/D.
Nope. It doesn't really get anywhere close to me, and until they recently split the two divisions for TD and TS, I wouldn't have stood a good chance of making a field since I barely squeak into the 4.0's in the 1/8 (usually in the 4-teens). Besides, it's hard for me to get excited about 1/8 mile racing, so it's not something I'm willing to go too out of my way for. They split up into an elite field, which is the quickest 16 on the property (but still a bracket race), and then another race for the rest. I don't follow closely enough to know the details, though.

They did the quick 4 thing at the Norwalk divisional this year, and that was fun to watch. It was kind of odd, because they ran the first round of it halfway through the regular qualifying session, and those of us in the lanes were just confused since we figured they'd be last.

Here in the Midwest when Jim and Ruth Tice ran AHRA there was probably 50/50 on 1/8 & 1/ 4 mile racing. I liked it because there was less stress and wear on equipment and with 9" Ford rear end it was easy to switch gear ratios for what track you're racing that weekend.

There should be no breakout type racing at any national event, especially Indy. Imagine how cool it would to run those TDs, out the back door, first to the stripe wins.
Correction, no .90 cars should be allowed at an event or anywhere at all lol. Nothing like going to the races and watching a car fall on its face right after take off lol

It all depends on who jumps in. There are only one or two on the list currently that aren't known for being able to hit the minimum, so if that holds true as the field fills, the bump could easily be around 6.20. It's difficult to say, especially this early, since it's not open to all for entry.

Edit: There have been several more entries, and a few of them aren't pushing the minimum (if they haven't made some recent upgrades). Unless they withdraw later or there are a lot of fast cars with quota immunity who enter after it's full, the bump won't look like a 6.10 index field.

The lowest Bump I’ve seen in TD has been a 6.65! No idea what the record is, but I doubt we will see a 6.20 Bump, unless they have a lot of entries

Correction, no .90 cars should be allowed at an event or anywhere at all lol. Nothing like going to the races and watching a car fall on its face right after take off lol

I think that right there is why TD/TS are gaining in Popularity

They already have that. It's called Top Alcohol Dragster. A lot of the guys in TD run the class specifically because it's a bracket format, but still fast. I can't speak for the field on this one, but I have zero interest in fielding a heads-up car, except as a quick four side event to the main race.

Isn’t it safe to say TD is a Poor man’s Alcohol Dragster?? Lot of former TAD cars now run in that class.

The lowest Bump I’ve seen in TD has been a 6.65! No idea what the record is, but I doubt we will see a 6.20 Bump, unless they have a lot of entries

I couldn't swear to what the record is but I have seen a bump for 32 cars at 6.34 at the divisional level. What really will make the difference at Indy will be how quickly the quota fills up, many fast cars don't have 7 grade points so they may not get a chance to enter.

Alan

The St. Louis national last year had a 6.37 bump with only one qualifier. Looking at the DNQ list, I see at least four cars that could run the minimum and make the field if they had another hit to get down the track. If they get in, that moves the bump down to 6.26, and that's assuming no one else picks up. I know a lot of people were disappointed that there was only one hit because they wanted to see what the field would have looked like with the standard three (or at least two).

The 6.10 minimum is new this year. Too many cars now are capable of running quicker than what they will certify to, so I'm guessing insurance had a say in that.

Isn’t it safe to say TD is a Poor man’s Alcohol Dragster?? Lot of former TAD cars now run in that class.
Oops, meant to comment on this point, too, and forgot. This is something that used to be more true than it is now. Anymore, the vast majority of cars in the class, including the quickest ones, are built-for-purpose top dragsters. I've had people ask if mine is since it's an old McKinney chassis, but it's actually a former 235" bracket dragster that we've done a lot of work to.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back