What is your idea of a Strong NHRA? (1 Viewer)

Thanks Mike, Paul, Eugene, and Karl. I stand corrected. But it was a dumb rule.
Cars match racing is free advertising for drag racing and nhra. Yet nhra discouraged it. The teams and the tracks got out of the habit. The damage is done.

Not many of us went to a Natl event for our first taste of drag racing. Most heard the "Sunday-Sunday" radio ads , went to the local track to try it out. Saw a pair of what ever. If we liked it we went back. Then learned if we liked seeing two of these then a road trip to a natl event will show you 16 of them. We were hooked.

NHRA's test restriction (really a match race ban ) effectively put a dagger in the heart of match racing.

Last edited:
Well you can pay 88 bucks and get a reserved seat and the headset and a meet and greet with Dale Jr at Fontana.
Or for the price of admission to the March Meet you can hangout with Me and burn some nitro and I'll even introduce you to Dave Mandella, TV Tommy Ivo, and James Hetfield. And have BBQ with Mr HorsePower

Why am I not Suprised you brought up Nostalgia racing on this thread!

My idea of a strong NHRA is 25+ cars trying to qualify for every pro class. No more short fields or 16 cars just jockeying for qualifying position.

id rather see a nostalgia race if it was close than the wat we hav now with the same ole
circle jerk but oh well NHRA wuld do it self well if they wuld add them to the show think Bakersfield proved that :eek:

id rather see a nostalgia race if it was close than the wat we hav now with the same ole
circle jerk but oh well NHRA wuld do it self well if they wuld add them to the show think Bakersfield proved that :eek:
There are plenty of them around so it shouldn't be a problem. But, you had better not wait to long because you never know how long they will be around. The one neat thing about drag racing is that there is something for everyone. If i'm in the mood for nostalgia i can go there or if i want to see 325 mph cars then i can see that also. I think life is pretty good when we can get the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
One of the things about match racing that most of the junior set don't realize is that, in its heyday, match racing was feasible and lucrative because the teams were fairly local. Englishtown could have cars coming in from Jersey, Pennsylvania, New England, New York... US30 had teams from Chicago, Detroit, Missouri, Kansas... OCIR had cars based in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada joining the California cars.

Now, on top of the teams having to criss-cross the nation on the tour, almost everyone's home base of operations is out of Indiana or North Carolina... Some in California and Texas, but nowhere near enough "garage teams" like the past to be able to have a couple of nitro shows a month like back in the day.

Here in Tucson, Jim Broome has been running his Candies and Hughes tribute car at Southwestern Int'l. almost every weekend for test-n-tune to get it dialed in for the NitroJam tour, along with his Powers Steel Camaro, but only on singles. The crowd loves it- especially when it keeps all eight and the head gaskets in it. So, we are lucky- we have a "neighborhood" nitro car. Not many can say that anymore, as opposed to as late as the early 80's when there was at least two nitro cars within an hour of most tracks.

One of the things about match racing that most of the junior set don't realize is that, in its heyday, match racing was feasible and lucrative because the teams were fairly local. Englishtown could have cars coming in from Jersey, Pennsylvania, New England, New York... US30 had teams from Chicago, Detroit, Missouri, Kansas... OCIR had cars based in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada joining the California cars.

Very good point Martin! Makes it tough for tracks like Pacific Raceways, PBIR or Boise to book in a show when the teams have blown the appearance money right out the haulers exhaust.

Part of the problem with the N.H.R.A. is that many racers feel they cater to the Pro Class only and have forgotten about many of the other classes.

If they are really interested in a better show for the fans they might consider doing away with the bikes. I know many love them but whenever the bikes are racing you can watch the spectators walking away from the stands and head to the food stands. Don't shoot the messenger because it's true!!!!!!!!!

I have always loved watching the alcohol cars run but the N.H.R.A. treats them like they don't want them around and that becomes more clear with each passing year.

Pro Mods seem to be what they want right now or at least until the sponsor money runs out for the class.

I know many guys who run comp cars but don't brother going to any national events because they feel the N.H.R.A. really does not want them there and instead in only interested in running the Pro Classes.

Wit Bazemore wrote an interesting story about what needs to be done in his view to make the racing more exciting for everyone.

Everyone should voice their opinion on what should be done before this thing gets any worst then it already is.

The recession is a large part of it but so is the perception held by racers that the N.H.R.A. simply does not care about them unless they are racing in the Pro Classes.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back