A Perfect NHRA President (1 Viewer)

sammi

Nitro Member
Now that I have found out that my input in the NHRA was secreted away from me decades ago, I thought what's the point of caring about NHRA. I still care deeply and with the alien abduction of the emperor of drag racing, maybe my tiny input might be seen and actually considered. There may well be the need to hire another emperor.

A perfect new NHRA president would:
-walk the pits at EVERY race and talk to as much of the entertainment providers as possible.
-stand at the admission gate and look his(her) customers in the eyes.
-be approachable and comfortable meeting fans and talking to the media
-fire the people who ruined the manufacturers midway and contingency program by trying to monetize it for the mother ship. Both programs generate interest in the fans and racers.
-clean up some of the interesting technology used by some to produce consistent .020 packages. (hint: look at the super comp photos of drivers looking down during a lap)
-fire the dude who screams during the down time at the event. (yelling doesn't make something interesting)
-embrace ANY class or type of drag racing that people like to watch.
-look for ways to encourage entry into the sport and do everything possible to help newbies at any level
-encourage a return to naming cars

Now that I have found out that my input in the NHRA was secreted away from me decades ago, I thought what's the point of caring about NHRA. I still care deeply and with the alien abduction of the emperor of drag racing, maybe my tiny input might be seen and actually considered. There may well be the need to hire another emperor.

A perfect new NHRA president would:
-walk the pits at EVERY race and talk to as much of the entertainment providers as possible.
-stand at the admission gate and look his(her) customers in the eyes.
-be approachable and comfortable meeting fans and talking to the media
-fire the people who ruined the manufacturers midway and contingency program by trying to monetize it for the mother ship. Both programs generate interest in the fans and racers.
-clean up some of the interesting technology used by some to produce consistent .020 packages. (hint: look at the super comp photos of drivers looking down during a lap)
-fire the dude who screams during the down time at the event. (yelling doesn't make something interesting)
-embrace ANY class or type of drag racing that people like to watch.
-look for ways to encourage entry into the sport and do everything possible to help newbies at any level
-encourage a return to naming cars
You talking about Bill Bader?

This. Very much this. That's always annoyed the hell out of me. They apparently think that if the folks in the crowd aren't bellowing at the top of their lungs like drunken idiots, they're not having any fun.
Even a boss that just tells the guy to back it down to a 6 or a 7 would be sufficient...

This. Very much this. That's always annoyed the hell out of me. They apparently think that if the folks in the crowd aren't bellowing at the top of their lungs like drunken idiots, they're not having any fun.

Exactly,its like a bunch of drunk failed dj's. go home we dont want to hear your loud mouth lol

You talking about Bill Bader?

I was thinking the same thing. I've never have meet a business person anywhere that cares as much about customers as him and his team do. Most places look at your wallet first, second and third and to be fair that is why you are in business, to make money. With Team Bader they look at making the customer happy first and know that the money will then follow.

I was just thinking have a guy who's actually there would be a good start

First off I have to say I agree on every point, particularly the character of a President. But this is essential if our sport is to survive:

Before I built a dedicated race car I would often take the family and/or friends to the track. Each time the lady at the ticket booth would ask "are you racing today?" no matter what you were driving (tickets were purchased as you drove in). It was drop dead simple to race back then, and needs to be now. I know Jr. Dragsters are intended to be an entry point, but even those require a financial investment. And though a few superstars started that way, the majority outgrow it and don't continue.

First off I have to say I agree on every point, particularly the character of a President. But this is essential if our sport is to survive:

Before I built a dedicated race car I would often take the family and/or friends to the track. Each time the lady at the ticket booth would ask "are you racing today?" no matter what you were driving (tickets were purchased as you drove in). It was drop dead simple to race back then, and needs to be now. I know Jr. Dragsters are intended to be an entry point, but even those require a financial investment. And though a few superstars started that way, the majority outgrow it and don't continue.

While I can agree with the sentiment, I don't think it's as easy as it was a couple of generations ago. The majority of vehicles on the road in the 60's, 70's and portion of the 80's, were RWD coupe, sedan, wagon, etc. bodied vehicles, much of which are still the template for today's modern race car. You, more often than today, entered that parking lot with a very similar car to what you would go watch on the track. So, it probably seemed obvious to give it a shot and put it in the lanes. Today, you have darn near everything FWD, plus AWD, Hybrids, Crossovers, SUV's of every size, and more trucks on the road than ever before. Whereas back then the pits could have looked very similar to the parking lot, that's just not the case today. While the performance cars available has increased as of late, they are not usually the family ride. You will find the people that are buying the Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers and Challengers, bringing those cars out on Street Nights, T&T's, etc. but I think that crowd is relative to their share of the car buying market. Above all this, though, most people aren't going to chance hurting their daily driver and risk the associated bill (since few work on their own vehicles anymore), or jeopardize their chance to get to work to pay that bill.

I wish I knew the numbers, but I would bet that there's a large number of Jr racers who have continued on into the big cars. Now only a few become pros, but that's expected. I think there are a TON of former Jr racers running everything from brackets, to Super Comp to the alky classes.

I wish I knew the numbers, but I would bet that there's a large number of Jr racers who have continued on into the big cars. Now only a few become pros, but that's expected. I think there are a TON of former Jr racers running everything from brackets, to Super Comp to the alky classes.

I look into starting my grandchildren in jr dragster but the cost ran me away. So I decided to let them start the way I did and am in process of building a 69 Camaro for a lot less investment since that's where we would end up anyway. I had a 68 but my heart with the 69.

At the end of Sunday eliminations at the Mile-High nats. I have had Bandimere Sr. shake my hand and thank me for spending the day at the races.

My perfect President would work toward allowing ANY engine combo that would run the number. I have friends who spend CRAZY money to run in the 7.90's(1/8). One complete 7.90 setup would cost more that I have in my bracket dragster's motor, clutch, tranny and electronics. This really doesn't make ANY sense to anyone with a racing background.

Yer right it was simple, and should be today. NHRA started a program but screwed it up. I read where they were gonna start letting youth drive 1/8mi. with their parent in the car. GREAT idea to get the young interested, give them a taste, WITHOUT any special investment. Run the street car they drove to the track. But as I looked into it for my granddaughter, I see NHRA required helmets for BOTH DAD & YOUTH. That shoots that idea.

i think Kenny Bernstein would be the best choice.. he saw drag racing first hand go from a "good old boy" sport to being one who brought some of the first real sponsor money into it, to getting out from lack of sponsors and would be able to look at what really needs to be changed to stop the monopoly that teams have come to..

i think Kenny Bernstein would be the best choice.. he saw drag racing first hand go from a "good old boy" sport to being one who brought some of the first real sponsor money into it, to getting out from lack of sponsors and would be able to look at what really needs to be changed to stop the monopoly that teams have come to..
No way. Bernstein rolled over for everything NHRA wanted when he was Pro President just to get what he wanted for his team.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back