stupid lawsuit threatens Maskin (1 Viewer)

I went to Discount Tire Co. & bought some Goodyears for my car & some Michelins for my truck. I'll continue going to Discount Tire now..., Big O is out of the picture. I'll be in the market for some Bridgestones soon. Sorry D. Baca --- :eek:

...and maybe Big O doesn't care what we think or do, but I'm still not going to do business with them if they keep pursuing this DUMB lawsuit. Discount Tire has been great to me & my family anyway.

Big Zero in my book. This suit is really dumb. We use Dart block, Heads and Intakes on our four sportsman cars. If Big Zero/O were to win this suit it would effect thousands of sportsman racers around the country. Not only are his products used by racers but also on the street by high performance enthusiats and street rod builders.

The link below is taken from Daves pics at Dallas testing. I don't know whose car this is but he should have a talk with his sponsor. Lawsuits for things like this do not do anything but hurt good honest hard working people like Richard Maskin.

http://davesdragpics.smugmug.com/gallery/1940979/6/98412344

I have a big O on my car.....but it is for the real O as in Oakley.....

I feel bad for Maskin in this but he is right.....the larger companies look at this as a poker hand.....he who has the tall stack holds power over the short stacked folks....Business sucks in todays society....

KB

The link below is taken from Daves pics at Dallas testing. I don't know whose car this is but he should have a talk with his sponsor. Lawsuits for things like this do not do anything but hurt good honest hard working people like Richard Maskin.

For the record, I believe that is Baca's partners A/F car. I think Windham is his last name??

I compete with Big Zero....the more bad press they get because of ignorant lawsuits, the better for me...

His nickname was "The Big O".:p

Thanks Kathleen.:)
I knew... rather I was almost sure it was the "The Big O", but after reading all of this sueing over naming rights stuff I started to second guess myself. eek:

Oscar Robertson's people should sue Big O Tire.:mad: To bad he didn't copyright the nickname.

That's Garrett Bateman in the Big "ZERO" Tire A/Fueler.

Had a company named Strategic Signs a few years ago. Copywrote the name, etc... Well, along comes a company in Ohio and they call themselves Strategic Signz....we sued and I think you can see why. Its a hell of a lot closer than what this lawsuit spells out.

Big O Tires should be ashamed of themselves. Supporting drag racing on one end and trying to kill it on the other.

For what it's worth, I sent an email to Big O informing them that THEIR actions have diminished my opinion of their products. We have Merchant's Tire here in Tidewater, which is owned by the same company. I understand what was posted earlier about the lawyers, but I still wanted to speak up.

My guess would be that this lawsuit is the spawn of some mid-level button pusher that needs to keep a lawyer (who's on retainer) busy with something.

This is what crossed my mind today. I think we all know that nobody could look at these two names and, with any amount of common sense, see any chance of Big O losing so much as one penny due to any possible confusion. The only thing that makes sense to me is an attorney on retainer just trying to find a way to justify whatever money they are getting.

This is so ridiculous. Even if Mr. Maskin WERE in the tire business, what? Does Big O own the whole damn alphabet once it incorporates that one name? Nobody else is now allowed to name their business Big "any letter" if it's automotive related in any way? Big "anything but O" is now off limits? I don't think so!

I'm starting an e-mail titled "Boycott Big O" to include links and info pertaining to this. I've got retired aunts and uncles who have nothing better to do than get fired up over stuff like this who will gladly forward to everyone on their lists. I would ask that everyone else do the same. We should all come out and help Mr. Maskin on this, or never complain or ask for help if and when we end up on the receiving end of an attempt at such injustice ourselves.

http://www.bigotires.com/default.aspx?Page=ContactUs&Category=Company
If it bothers you as it did me, tell Big "O" how you feel! I did:

Your lawsuit filed by Matthew Cuccias against Richard Maskin regarding Big M racing components has about the same merit as O.J. Simpson's ongoing search to find his wife's real murderer. It has come to light on message boards across the internet into our homes.
I read the contents of the suit and have determined your company is willing to sacrifice it's good name in an effort to make some fruitless point.
The result, in effect has convinced me to make a choice based on my moral convictions. My entire family and I have been customers of both Big "O" and Richard Maskin's Big "M" products but we'll discontinue any further dealings with Big "O" without reservation. Of course, I'll continue to purchase Mr. Maskin's products without reservations as long as they maintain their superior quality and as long as Mr. Maskin doesn't stoop to such levels as your company has over this silly unrelated name infringement. Attempting to drag Mr. Maskin into the mire has only soiled your company, your reputation and your good name.
Bobby Miller
Former Big "O" customer
Longterm Big "M" customer

The one I just sent them. Tell me that enough people involved in this as a grassroots effort wouldn't change their minds.

"Why are you people suing Mr. Maskin over his selling engine blocks and cylinder heads under the name "Big M"? I'm sorry, but just who in the hell thinks you will ever lose a penny over that? Who ever went out to buy Big O Tires and came back with a block and heads?

You MUST have an attorney on retainer who is simply trying to justify the money they're making. I'm starting and circulating an e-mail titled "Boycott Big O" unless you stop this NOW! You do NOT own the entire alphabet with anything automotive related. Fix this or you WILL lose customers and money that you otherwise never would have. Ron Dunlap"

Any patent and trademark lawyer will tell you that, as a company, you must go after any other company you see that may be infringing on your copyright. It doesn't matter a whit what they sell, because if you land in court, and the other company can prove you made an exception in another case, you may have a decision go against you. So you go after every single instance you see. Regardless of what the other product may be.

You got me thinking with this post, David. I searched for other lawsuits that the "Big O" is placing but found one flaw in their logic. We have a famous horse-racing track in New Jersey called Monmouth Park. They've been around for decades and marketed themselves as the "Big M." Here's a link to their club page. I couldn't find anything that says the Big O tire guys are suing the established, wealthy "Big M." If that's the case, I'd say that's a precedent in Mr. Maskin's favor. FWIW, I'd love to see these tire dopes try and sue the betting industry in New Jersey. They'd bankrupt themselves in a month. :D

FWIW, I'd love to see these tire dopes try and sue the betting industry in New Jersey. They'd bankrupt themselves in a month. :D

I'm in 150% agreement with you Charles.

I sure hope maters here don't think I AGREE with this assinine decision by SCOA to pursue this stupid lawsuit. I DON"T!!!! I am 250% behind the defendent in this case.

Jim, Kevin said it best, and the same goes with my car. When I think of the "Big O" a few things come to mind, O Carbon-X, O Matter, oh yeah, and that little brand we affectionately know as Oakley...

I thought the "Big O" was Oakley???!!!

Jim

SO where is YOUR frivilous, lawsuit Jim? Oh, you understand free enterprise and have the concious ability to differentiate between products.:eek:

Now if you see some meathead walking around with a set of 175/65/R14's on their eyes, get them some help!

The next target for the Big O(zero) may be:

NHRA/O'Reilly Motorsports Park for using the name "Big GO"

or

Maybe Don Garlits should sue "Big O" for using his name "Big" Daddy. I know he was "Big" before they existed.:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back