Why NHRA (1 Viewer)

Textoad

Nitro Member
Regards Maters,
My first post here. Even tho I followed the previous Mater forums. And a lifelong fan.
First let me say I am in awe of you guys/gals. All the time, all the traveling, all the work you do. The sacrifices of family time, the grind of being on the road most of the year. The indifference of NHRA/Vs Nascar or IRL/CART or whatever racing series you wish to chose as I see it.Nascar has its 33 gauranteed positions every race, even the weak qualifiers make big bucks. NHRA? You guys mostly arent even "Hard card" to use your own terminology. And I know what it means.
Why do you choose this profession? Just got the "bug"? Nitro in your veins?
Just curious, and understand this,, your job would be like running away with the circus for me.. But I doubt even circus food is free, someone has to shovel elephant poop..
Just curious...
What will it take to move drag racing to the Nascar level? TV,sponsors, driver charisma? ESPN vs ESPN2??? Our is "our" sport just for us?
Hope you like my question,, beats whether or not Whit shaves his legs, or if Forces daughters can cook...
RP

Welcome aboard William.
Maybe it beats sitting behind a computer in a cubical awaiting your job to be outsourced to India?

There's a lot of love for this sport at every level.

William, I feel that attempting to harness power, in one of it's purest forms, and the thrill of releasing that power in a controlled manner, is the primary motivation of most drag racers. Creating that power, is also a strong drive, that fuels most of the innovations(and innovators) that are continuously being applied to our sport. Then finally, performing in public with that display of power, is an insatiable addiction unto itself. Lets face it, most racers will say that they don't do it for the fame and fortune. I believe the part about the fortune.
(also my first post----Hi y'all)

as far as making the step to the next level. Nascar is a much easier to view on the tv. You can get up and leave for 10,20, 30 laps and really not miss anything. Drag racing is something you must experience first hand to really appreciate. Plus if you leave for 4 seconds you've missed a race.

I'll take drag racing over nasbore anyday

I don't know how many mistakes a NASCAR driver can make during a 500 mile race and still WIN.. or the same for IRL...a little fishtail, or miss a shift... but you still have 300 miles to make up for it..

Last week WJ & Dave Connelly both were .001 of a second too soon and were on the trailer.. in Drag racing EVERYTHING Driver, Car, Team, all have to have "EVERYTHING PERFECT" for 4 rounds on Sunday...

Also in NASCAR it looks like the Garden State Parkway on a Sunday Afternoon... where as in Drags there are 22-25 cars trying to qualify... and usually in PS the #1 to #16 position is about .05 -.06 in NASCAR not everyone qualifies.. but it sure is a "helluva" lot easier IMO

Also in drag racing it You vs Him! no worry about the 3rd car cutting you off, or running out of gas.. you have to make a perfect run to win.. 99% of the time.. sure you win with a bad run, but the other guy screwed up worse...

It's the Noise rush that attracted me to this sport. Have you ever been to a Natl. event William? Sounds like you haven't, I've been to 3 Nascar races, 2 Pre-IRL Cart Indy car races, and several World of Outlaw sprint car shows. While I'm a fan of Many form of Motorsports, Drag racing has the Most adrenaline rush IMO!

There are a lot of reasons why we do/did this thing called nitro racing. You will get as many different answers as there are people. There is the competition, inovation and of course the crowds but in reality we are all adrenaline junkies. The rush that you get from either driving or watching the car you just set up make a killer pass is not reachable by another type of racing. Knowing that everything was perfect on that pass gives great satisfaction.
OR why else would I do this for 40+ years while not making any money, going through 2 marriages and beating my body up for all those long, long hours????

Simple, Because i love the smell of Nitro in the morning, it smells like Victory!!.
jim

Gotta agree Jim! The feeling you get when the car goes down the track with a clutch that you put in is hard to discribe. Doing the clutch is the ultimate (apart from calling the shots) and I will always remember the first time I put a clutch in a car. I went from being a nervous wreck to a feeling of sheer jubilation in less than 5 seconds.

While the nerves get a little less intense the feeling you get when the car runs a number is impossable to top.

While I have been involved in many forms of motorsport nothing comes close to drag racing.

I just wish I could do it for a living.

William, I feel that attempting to harness power, in one of it's purest forms, and the thrill of releasing that power in a controlled manner, is the primary motivation of most drag racers. Creating that power, is also a strong drive, that fuels most of the innovations(and innovators) that are continuously being applied to our sport. Then finally, performing in public with that display of power, is an insatiable addiction unto itself. Lets face it, most racers will say that they don't do it for the fame and fortune. I believe the part about the fortune.
(also my first post----Hi y'all)

Welcome Al,
Very insightful first post! I look forward to many more!

well i have grown up around racing all my life and have raced myself in differant stuff for alot of years too!
i like all kinds of motorsports and i think they all have they're place and all have fans that are die hard hardcore fans of that motorsport!
sprintcar drivers/fans are serious as dragracing driver/fans same with indy car!
now i like nascar too but i think in the last 10 years the fan base has been kinda changed from die hard motor heads to the cool think to do fans? not all but alot of fans have no idea what a race car is comprized of? they just know that they go around in circles and the guy they boughts shirt won or wrecked or lost!
drag racing,boat racing, sprintcars,dirt track cars all have the common man/women racing involved!
i race stockcars midgets drag racing and some of the people that i race with can tell you everything about racing a dirt street stock but have no clue what it takes to get a small block camaro down the dragstrip?
ask a drag race fan how to make a dirt car get up off the corner and you get that look:eek: . so i guess my point is it takes all kinds to apease all kinds? for me i like them all as long as they go fast and sound cool:D

I cannot remember a time when I wasn't following NHRA. When I was a kid I lived in Kentucky and I couldn't wait for Sunday afternoons on TNN for American Sports Calvalcade, just hoping NHRA Drag Racing would be on. My dad would take me Edgewater Raceway outside Cincinnati for the match races, we would go to Columbus and Indy, and even Bristol for IHRA, particularly post 1990 because we loved the "new" Pro Mods. When we moved out west in 1994, we just shifted the venues to Pomona, Phoenix and then they built the best drag strip in the world right here in Las Vegas. I am going back to Indy this year for the first time since 1991 and I cannot wait!

So why NHRA you ask ... for me, it has ever been and ever will be thus.

Is there a Doctor in the House?

Doc,
Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to Your "take" on things. Experience and "hands on" knowledge, are also #1 in my book, when looking for a "real" answer./al

It's the Noise rush that attracted me to this sport. Drag racing has the Most adrenaline rush IMO!

I will second that.....went to my first race 11 years ago, I was hooked....drives my sweet hubby crazy.....I have met so many great people since I have been a fan.....I just can't get enough.....if I ever won the lottery...lol....I wouldn't miss one race!!!:D

There's alot of feeling in those posts and for sure they are all true !
I might add a couple of things like who and when [ what age you were hooked ] might make a difference but if you go to a nationals its the sound and the smells and the fact that something happens that makes you realise there are things out there that can literally move heaven and earth!
Thats the clench er and the problem why Top / Fuel does not transcend well to TV .
Its a total experience that has to be felt in close proximity!
Of course every one who has felt that Rush of 16,000 Horse Power leaving the line at a separation of a few 100,000 's of a second like maybe all but three on this board can sit under a tree and tremble and shake from just the remembrance of the last or favorite time.
The cars are much louder/quicker now than say 1964 which was a banner year for Top/Fuel but hey back then there were 32 car fields and multiple engine Top / Fuelers too. Nope I can safely say there is nothing in this world to compare with two Top Fuel cars leaving the line. Going round and around makes me dizzy and you don't have a winner every 4 .5 seconds.
As I have said before I lump custom cars/rods and classic muscle cars and car shows together with drag racing as pride in the ride carries on to wanting the car to look as good loading up as unloading!

I was sitting in the stands at Pomona once and I met a young couple who were at their First Big Drag race. To say they were caught off-guard by the Noise would be an understatement! Like SOOO Many other times I had seen before, They called friends on they're Cell Phones so they could hear the cars. This couple lived in Azuza, Ca which is about 10 miles from the track. And even though they said they could hear the "Loud Cars" as they put it from Azuza, they had never got around to going until that weekend.

All I know is that I wish I had been introduced to NHRA way before '96! I grew up in Pasadena which is not far at all from Baytown. I just didn't know anybody before then who was into it. And I have had a freakin' ball with this sport since then!

Yes I've taken several new inductee's to the You Ain't seen nuthin till now Nitro Sniffers Society to get broke in and the exclamation's of wonder are always punctuated by WOW first!
Bobby Marriot and his crew of 15 Awful Fuel Altereds are headed this way Friday night for the 3 rd annual BHRA nationals at Texas Raceway in Kenedale Tx. a suburb of Fort Worth to celebrate the good remembrance of local racer and former owner of Green Valley and Amarillo Dragway Bill Heilsher AKA Mr. Bardoll.
Don't have the complete rundown but there is gonna be a large field of different kinds of cars to thrill the fans.
I'm hoping Gene Snow lets his young shue drive so I can corner him to autograph my copy of Grady Bryant's Match Race Madness.
I think the sucka is dodging it cause Grady was always messing with Gene cause he couldn't beat him fairly in the little Nova built by Dicky Harrell.
That Chevy Too Much which sits most days along with Bill Heilshers AHRA winning Corvette behind the podium in the Racers Edge Chapel will make its usual run against the Corvette which makes for a sight with the straight axle front end and Highborn Injector Stacks and the set forward rear wheels.
Now that brings back some good old memories.
A lot of the old fellows come out to sign autographs and they start with a parade of the cars being towed down and back up the track just like the real old day's .
Yep a celebration of things old and things new! I reccon this will be Jackie Stedham's last one as a driver as he will match race the Texas Tremor and Gene usually races someone maybe Bill Ancona who I see is now a member of the Mater! Welcome Bill !
The Jets will again be missing local great Ancil Horton who was in a local hospital last year at this time and expired from a wreck doing what he loved to do firing those afterburners and scaring the Hell's outa of my Mom! LOL
I think Mitch King back in winning form will be racing with Marriot and I will try to politic for a rematch for him and Frankie Taylor like the famous Sealy [ Lone Star Raceway race for bragging rights a few years ago] between the winning pro mod [ Taylor ] and the winning Fuel burning Altered King!
Frankie won when Mitch lifted but Frankie's new car is much swifter that the old Fire Chicken!
Frankie has a Match race With Galen Smith's Bounty Hunter.
Yep it's all good to me and Saturday and Sunday the Top/Fuel Drag Boats invade Marine Lake Ft. Worth to add to every one pleasure. Local Dragboat driver turned F/C driver Kebin Kinglesly's Brother ? Wrecked in Tulsa a couple weeks ago and I haven't seen any thing about it but now back home on the big Cray Computer I might be able to get over there and peer!
Thats it for me tonight its getting late and I just drove 7 hours to get here and I'm bushed!

First I must say I don’t do this for a living (but I think I would like to for a year or two) and I don’t travel to every race, but I do help on a S/G car whenever I have extra time.

My first love is Nitro racing, I am a horsepower junkie!!! No other motor sport can even come close to the horsepower of a Nitro car. You know the old saying….. “Bigger is Better” well, it doesn’t get any bigger than a Top Fuel/Funny car (horsepower wise) Others have mentioned the feeling of standing on the starting line and feeling the power of two fuel cars when they mash the pedal….. If you’ve never experienced this, do yourself a favor and give it a try the next time the Powerade tour is in your town. I think you’ll agree!! I’ve been a fan all of my life. I remember watching NHRA racing on “Wide World Of Sports” when I was a kid. I started going to the races when I was about 15 (my dad wasn’t into motor sports so I had to wait until I was old enough to go by myself or with friends) and have been hooked ever since.

Someone on here mentioned “watching” the car you worked on “run a number” and the satisfaction knowing you helped make that “number” possible, I couldn’t agree more!! Along with helping on a S/G car, I built a big mud truck years ago that I ran for several years. It had a 600hp big block, zoomies, 44inch tires, hydraulic steering…. It was a fun truck. Every time we took it to an event I drove it off the trailer and made the first pass then I would usually let one of my friends drive it for the rest of the day as I watched. Someone asked me “why don’t you drive it yourself” I said “I have more fun watching something that I built perform than I do actually driving it” (don’t get me wrong, it was VERY fun to drive) I get the same satisfaction when my friends S/G car runs a dead on .90.….

I’ve been to all types of races. Nascar, local dirt tracks, local asphalt circle tracks, Outlaw Sprint cars, motocross, motorcycle flat track, motorcycle road course, snowmobile, boat races….. You name it the list goes on and on but for me nothing compares to NHRA Top Fuel/Funny Cars!!
:)

I was hooked on NHRA back in the dark ages. I watched Sox & Martin battle Dandy Dick Landy and Big Daddy run for years at the Winter-nationals at Bee Line Dragway (which has been closed for 40 or so years) and I've always done my own car repair. When I left the trades of auto mechanics and construction for a Professional career, I got the financial rewards but lost a lot of the hands-on rewards of doing things yourself. My wonderful wife noticed and one day (over 30 years ago) took me a couple miles from our house to buy a car she saw. I was surprised to see it was a 1970 RS Camaro that needed some work. Long story short, it was the first of about 6 Camaros I built while the kids were growing up. They always worked with me on everything as well as attended the drags with me each year. By the time the boys had grown up we were pretty good wrenches and one day while walking through the pits of the boat drags, we noticed most all of the tow vehicles in the sportsman pits were quite affordable and their race boats were just the next level from what we had already built for ourselves. We looked at each other and concluded "We could do this stuff!"
The rest is history, I purchased a rolling F/C which we built our own Power trane for and started racing about a decade ago. We now have two shops full of too much stuff to mention like two Funny Cars, two new Spitzer dragsters, along with a S/G Chevelle and 5 race boats.
I'll openly admit that I never aspire to have nitromethane in anything I ever build or operate either. Just enjoying what you built with your hands in an arena that's both safe and exciting will do for me just fine.
The boys are in Buzzz's shop tonight assembling an engine to race next month and after they spend all that time and money building it from the ground up, I can guarantee you they won't abuse it, drive it without extreme caution, and appreciate the potential risks each time they belt in. I'm not sure that would be the case if daddy just funded their hobby/habit.
The best part is all six kids love to bring their families to the races when we go and we get a reunion nearly every race. How could I beat that?
I just love this sport.

I went to my first drag race late in 1966 with my boyfriend at the time who had just taken delivery of a 1967 427ci-435hp Corvette. I was underwhelmed when we got there (Island Dragway, Great Meadows, NJ) sitting in old rickety, splinter filled bleachers. And me, in wool slacks, cashmere sweater and blazer. In fact, I was darned 'put out' that he brought me to 'that place'. And the noise! Geez! Then a 1966 Corvette pulled up to the line. It said NHRA national record holder. The announcer was talking about the car like it was something special (well, it WAS a 'vette) :) . I was mildly interested in the run, but went back to having a set of the jaws when it was over.

Then, as fate would have it, they announced some Corvette parts for sale and the boyfriend was interested, but you had to go over to the other side of the track to see about them. In the car we got, back on to the gravel road we came in on and then it happened. From the moment we pulled through that pit gate, it was a love affair that continues to this very day. Being where it was 'happening', cars being worked on, the sights, sounds & smells of drag racing got a hold of me.

The boyfriend raced the 'vette for awhile, and I was lucky enough to learn about drag racing from the bottom up as he was learning. In the end, I dumped the boyfriend but bought his car from him, although I never raced it. We'd made a bunch of friends at that little track in NW New Jersey, and I truly loved drag racing. I continued to go to the track every Saturday or Sunday afternoon for about a year, depending on the time of the year and just hung with wives & girlfriends I'd made friends with. We'd all go out for something to eat after the race and I was loving it.

I absolutely refused to date anyone from the track. Didn't want anyone to think that's why I was coming every week. There were several people in our little circle who went on to become pretty successful in the sport. But who knew.

One Sunday afternoon I was out on my bike, going up to Sussex county to shoot some pictures that I might want to do paintings of at some time. I pulled into a Mobil station in Pompton Lakes, NJ to get some gas before getting on to the highway to go up to 'the country'. I'm taking the gas cap off, and I notice the guy coming out of the station, wiping his hands on a shop rag, to pump my gas. I look up and who is it but Frank Iaconio..."one of the guys" from the track. He looked like he'd never seen a girl on a motorcycle before and we laughed. Don't know who was more surprised to see the other, him or me. We talked about his car (yellow 1957 Chevy-Banana I) for awhile, how he was doing with it at something called 'points meets' and locally. We spent about a 1/2 hour yacking, and then I had to get going. I started up the bike and was saying my goodbyes and see ya at Island next week. Then Frank said something that would change my life. The romantic that he was, :p , he said something like, 'maybe we should go to a movie sometime. I didn't see any harm in a movie with a friend, so I said sure, and drove away. Well, within a week or two, we did take in a movie, and although I hadn't planned it, that was the beginning of a several year relationship with him. It started with ol' 'nana, and went through to Pro Stock.

While the cards I held saw me eventually marry Ray Allen, I can honestly say that I am so fortunate and thankful that I had 'my time' in drag racing, back in those earlier years of the sport. The love of divisional and national competition, the match racing, the travel, the people, the frustrations, the thrill of winning, helping with the car(s), the all nighters working on the car, then loading up and driving straight through to the next national event or match race, the view/sight/sound of racing from the starting line ...the people, the places, the sights, sounds and smells of racing.... have stayed with me even after a painful divorce.

I put drag racing out of my mind & heart, lost contact with old friends, cancelled subscriptions to the papers & magazines, all because it was just too difficult for me to deal with. This was successful for nearly a couple of decades. Then, in May of 2001 I was channel surfing on a Sunday afternoon and came across drag racing from Englishtown. They called it something different, and it was in a different month, but if it's a national event at Englishtown, it was and always will be the Summernationals to me. I watched. I actually thought I could smell the burning rubber & nitro & feel it sting my eyes, right there in my living room. I broke down & cried for about 5 minutes because I finally realized that I could no longer deny my love of the sport and all that goes with it. The rest, as they say, is history. I've reconnected with some old friends from 'the patch' and beyond, via the Internet and I bench race with them and new friends online nearly every day.

That's why I LOVE DRAG RACING. :D ;)

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back