Bob's Unemployed (1 Viewer)

I think Bob wants his situations to be under his complete control....only problem is once he is challenged, he bails. Its a different racing world out there since he retired and you need to play well with others nowadays or your in trouble.

I honestly feel bad for him because he is so talented and if he could just find a home and stick.
The perfect operation for him is someone who has mega bucks and hires Bob, then tells him "the skies the limit, I will fly in and drive, you handle everything else". Unfortunately, with the cost of racing, that won't happen.

Last edited:
I am not at all surprised by this development. Can the Gliddens work well with ANYONE?

Good luck to Tom and Dick.

"the skies the limit, I will fly in and drive, you handle everything else".

I seem to remember Bob making a comment that a driver he was dealing with was too much of a "fly in" driver, and didn't spend enough time with the crew and car, and would benefit from being more deeply ingrained in day to day operations. I am paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it. Can't remember who he was talking about.
So, that probably wouldn't work either.
I really really hope Bob wanders off into the sunset, with his legend intact, and doesn't do too much to tarnish his legacy. If you came into racing in the last 10 years, you didn't get the chance to see him dominate, all you see is the crewchief BS, and that is just a tiny part of Bob's history.

A lot of "experts" on this thread all seem to know what Bob needs, but no one has really hit the nail on the head yet, so I'll take a stab at it. How about a COUPLE HUNDREDTHS????? Anyone think 2/100 quicker would make Bob's resume look any better?

Registered member said:
You know with all due respect. It goes without question this man's knowledge
and whatnot.

BUT who in the right mind would hire this man. All he's done in the
past 5 years is get hired and quit/fired. That isn't a possitive to any
team.

Bob......I'm sorry your the greatest but perhaps you need to
go back to playing golf.
Glidden was the man from 85-89. You can't win NHRA Pro Stock and have no clue how to race. What he had under his hood was something that no other racer, especially a Ford racer, could even buy. What puzzles me is who ever said that Bob Glidden designed and built that engine?

Last edited:
Nah...the only thing needed is a severe attitude adjustment. And this coming from a Ford guy. A Glidden by any name is turning into blasphemy in the Blue-Oval world. If you all want the answer as to why Ford isn't involved in Pro Stock, you need only look to Whiteland, IN.

The same personality conflicts Bob has been having with the various teams he has been employed by recently are the same issues he had with Ford Motor Company. He left such a terrible legacy in Dearborn that they won't touch Pro Stock in any form...rather put the money with Force and behind the all-Ford series/classes instead.

I can see the light!!!

Well it is obvious that the NHRA will annouce that Bob is the replacement for West Cerny at the NHRA Tech Department!

He knows all the Pro Stock teams very well by now!!!

Sorry, I had too!

I do love Bob, but do what Eddie has done and enjoy your retirement!

The same personality conflicts Bob has been having with the various teams he has been employed by recently are the same issues he had with Ford Motor Company. He left such a terrible legacy in Dearborn that they won't touch Pro Stock in any form...rather put the money with Force and behind the all-Ford series/classes instead.
Wes..you're going to blame Ford's lack of paticipation in Pro Stock on Bob Glidden?? Pffft

He did more for Ford during his era..than Ford ever did for him..geez.

He did more for Ford during his era..than Ford ever did for him..geez.

I was just about to say that.

Oh, and I must say I am so very shocked by this! NOT!

On the topic about Fords in Pro Stock, it would be very cool to see someone try and field a Shelby GT500 in the NHRA and be competitive.

From what I remember about Bob's last year, Ford offered him some funding but it was far less than what was needed to be competive. Who in their right minds would spend all there on money on R&D for the company to come in and reap the rewards? GM has everyone beat as far providing there racers with what they need to win. I am a true blue Ford guy but the blue oval has always done things backwards and they look for that easy ticket to the winners circle. They bailed on Bob who argueably did more for Ford Drag racing than any other person. When you think Ford Drag racing there is only one name that comes to mind and it shouldn't be John Force. Ford is happy with what they have in Force and I don't think they will ever come back to NHRA Pro Stock. They had the perfect oppurtunity a few years back when Hurley Blakeny, Scott Geoffrion, and Bob Panella teamed up. It took them two years but they had a competive peice and they did it without the factory. Just think what they could have accomplsihed if they would've gave those guys 2/3rds the money the provide for one of Force's teams. Bob Glidden doesn't owe anyone any apologies and I don't think he has tarnished his image at all. Anyone on this site that thinks that is nuts. Warren might have the most wins but he or anyone else will not touch his elusive 10 NHRA titles in Pro Stock.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think Bob has tarnished his legacy a bit. I'm sure a successful racing career is hard to walk away from because of sponsor issues. Just ask Mike Dunn and Whit Bazemore to name a couple. However, seasons change and until someone gives Bob a boat of cash to run his own car and asks nothing in return, he should probably stay on the sidelines.

It's hard to argue with Bobs success at making the final call...I'm in the Bob just needs a boatload of cash with no strings camp. Kinda reminds me of "suitcase Jake" Elder back in the nascar good ol boy days.
oh yea...the phone call was absolutely hilarious....revive this.

Last edited:
Bob Frey is DEAD ON!
I didn't start this thread to bash Bob, anyone who knows me knows that. When my wife and I got together, and were making our first move, I overheard her telling one of her brothers "be VERY careful with that box, it has the Bob shrine in it" I had a display case full of handouts, models, autographs, etc. and we jokingly referred to it as "The Shrine"
Since then I have built a model of his 94 Thunderbird from scratch because nobody made a kit of it. I used 4 cars and about 10 different decal sheets to do it, as well as scratch building a lot of parts.
He is referred to as "Lord God Bob" in my household.
I bought a Farimont for my Super Gas car because of Bob (with an assist to Animal Jim) It is killing me that people who are recent to the sport only see him how he comes across now. He is the best, and Warren may have passed him in totals, and Greg is killing everyone at the moment, but BOB IS KING!

I read a lot into the words of Tom when he stated that he hopes Bob can find a place to work that will make him happy. I hope so too, but I doubt that such a place exists. At one time i felt strongly that Bob could only work well with Rusty and Bill, however, I doubt even that is possible. Patience is a virtue and the older we get the more true that becomes. I just hope that someone that knows him well can reach him and get him to understand what this is doing to his reputation and legacy. Before long, all other things that might concern him will no longer matter much!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back