Why NHRA (1 Viewer)

All I know is that I wish I had been introduced to NHRA way before '96! I grew up in Pasadena which is not far at all from Baytown. I just didn't know anybody before then who was into it. And I have had a freakin' ball with this sport since then!

I think you speak for the Multitudes on that one!:D

I watched Sox & Martin battle Dandy Dick Landy and Big Daddy run for years at the Winter-nationals at Bee Line Dragway (which has been closed for 40 or so years) and I've always done my own car repair.

Hey Doc, are you SURE Beeline closed in the 60's? I saw some pics that a guy told me was from Early 80's. I had heard that Beeline closed just before Firebird opened up.

I was raised at the race track. My family has been racing for over 30 years. And even though I was raised there and used to it I will never forget the first time I really felt the power of the NHRA. I was sitting in the stands at Houston back in 1989,1990 somewhere in there, only 10 or 11 years old watching Top Fuel qualifying when Eddie Hill and Gene Snow ran side by side, a 4.93 I believe which was the national record at the time, but when they passed me in stands about the 660' the whole grandstands shook.

It's the accessibility to the drivers and the cars. I probably spend more time walking the pits (pro and sportsman) looking at the cars, talking to the drivers, and watching the crews do their magic. Without the show in the pits, I probably would'nt go to any drag races.

I've gone to WoO sprints races at New Egypt NJ and CTS races at Flemington. At both tracks, I had access to the drivers and crews before and after the races. I even went to Nazareth PA. for CTS and Busch races. I paid big $$$ for a pit pass and had a great time. Then the next year, pit access was restricted and I stopped going. Now Nazareth's another ghost track.

So that's why I spend my $$$$ with the drag racers and stay home to watch Nascar and IRL on TV.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back