and we wonder why... (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
I was just looking at NHRA.com and found a google ad running on the web site for a NASCAR race the weekend of September 23 the same weekend that NHRA will have a race in Texas.

I guess if you can't get your NASCAR info from NASCAR.com go over to NHRA.com for help...

and we wonder why........

There's probably a couple of reasons for this. A) Someone is just too lazy to figure out how Google Adsense works, or B) They have the Google ads filtering out every possible drag racing site (i.e. their perceived competition), so there's nothing left but Nascar ads. Either way it's a stupid move. I doubt they are making much of anything off of those low paying ads anyway, probably not even worth the space they take up.

LOL. I notice they advertise for NASCAR and Indy car during the NHRA ESPN show. I'm thinking they must be getting a discount on air time for doing that. Get that crap off the show!

I just checked again and it is still on the site. Does anybody from NHRA.com check the site. I know it's small but why can't they keep something like that off the site.

Okay Maters, how about a different idea?
What would happen if the NHRA site became the linchpin for all auto racing news? How much traffic would the site get, and how many people would liook to the NHRA first, if they had links and ads from all over motorsports?
I start my daily dose of motorsports news right here on the Mater because I know that this site and its members will keep me up to date on the latest happenings even if I get too busy to check other sites later in the day.
If the NHRA took a global approach, they might be the "go to" guys for racing enthusiasts and sports editors and so on.
Some years ago Brock Yates evaluated a number of auto racing magazines and newspapers. He gave National Dragster high marks because, while admittedly the house organ of the sanctioning body, he felt it did a good job of covering the sport with less cheerleading than might be expected in such a publication.
I don't like NaziCar because of the way the organization is run. I've got a specific grievance with the way they hammered Pikes Peak International Raceway. I do like their races, however. It's not as much fun as drag racing and it's a poor substitute for Formula One and road racing, generally. We know that. Just the same, when most folks think auto racing they mean the National Association for Taxi Cab Auto Racing, NasCarp.
The real beef here, I judge, is not with the NHRA site but with the fact that we are ignored by so-called "sports-journalists" and the NHRA doesn't promote our sport in other venues. Maybe a bit of ju-jitsu is in order: we'll use the bigger guy's weight against him.
. . . just stirrin' the pot . . . .
Cheers,
Ed

Somebody must have check the site and now changed the spot to a banner ad not from google ads. I guess somebody got a call or is a "MATER" reader.

I understand web sites and making money using google ads.

What would happen if the NHRA site became the linchpin for all auto racing news? How much traffic would the site get, and how many people would liook to the NHRA first, if they had links and ads from all over motorsports?
I start my daily dose of motorsports news right here on the Mater because I know that this site and its members will keep me up to date on the latest happenings even if I get too busy to check other sites later in the day.
If the NHRA took a global approach, they might be the "go to" guys for racing enthusiasts and sports editors and so on.
Some years ago Brock Yates evaluated a number of auto racing magazines and newspapers. He gave National Dragster high marks because, while admittedly the house organ of the sanctioning body, he felt it did a good job of covering the sport with less cheerleading than might be expected in such a publication.
I don't like NaziCar because of the way the organization is run. I've got a specific grievance with the way they hammered Pikes Peak International Raceway. I do like their races, however. It's not as much fun as drag racing and it's a poor substitute for Formula One and road racing, generally. We know that. Just the same, when most folks think auto racing they mean the National Association for Taxi Cab Auto Racing, NasCarp.
The real beef here, I judge, is not with the NHRA site but with the fact that we are ignored by so-called "sports-journalists" and the NHRA doesn't promote our sport in other venues. Maybe a bit of ju-jitsu is in order: we'll use the bigger guy's weight against him.
Cheers,
Ed
Ed, what exactly did happen with Pikes Peak International Raceway? I heard a few things but I am sure I never really got the whole story. Heck, I'm a long ways away from Colo here in NE, and inquiring Nebraska minds want to know...can you help?

Ed, what exactly did happen with Pikes Peak International Raceway? I heard a few things but I am sure I never really got the whole story. Heck, I'm a long ways away from Colo here in NE, and inquiring Nebraska minds want to know...can you help?

Reader's Digest version: It was purchased in September 30, 2005, by the International Speedway Corporation. ISC shut the facility down by November 2005, and petitioned NASCAR to move the track's Busch Series date to Martinsville Speedway for 2006

I think it's called getting rid of the competition.

Thanks, David, for the info--is it still closed or even there?

No clue. Sorry. Maybe Ed knows.

ppis.jpg

Here's a picture from Google Earth. It's a shame. Looked like a nice track, with good view and a direct connection from I25. And it's not surrounded by any housing, either.

Pikes Peak International Raceway is located in Colorado's most populous county, 80 miles south of downtown Denver. The market area of 100 miles or so, has about 4 million people. West of the track is the artillery range at Fort Carson, there is a powerplant to the north and highways, railroads and waterways to the east. In short, no neighbors and no noise complaints.
I wrote a longer response, but lost in on this consarned computer.
In brief, the France family controls the taxi racing circuit and ISC. They want the taxpayers to build them a speedway in Denver, so they have convinced the media here that ISC and GnatsCar are really separate. They have gone on to pretend that PPIR cannot be made viable as a racing site.
I confess it - I'm a lawyer. Please accept my apology for explaining this using a technical legal term: Hogwash!
Now ISC wants to sell the property for any use except racing. They intend to limit the use of the property as part of the sale. Not only is that unreasonable. it may violate anti-trust laws.
There's more - my lost post was a real rant, but I've got to chug off to court.
Cheers,
Ed

One more thing . . .
Notice how much space there is for a dragstrip? My friends at Pueblo Motorsports Park are just a few miles away, so it's not needed - today.
Just another nugget for the discussion.
Cheers,
Ed

Thanks, David, for the info--is it still closed or even there?
It's still there, just not being used for anything. It's a shame to let such a nice facility just sit there.

There are actually three interchanges on I-25 that can be used to access the property, and there was serious talk of extending another major Colorado Springs roadway to the track to ease congestion on the interstate during an event.

The place was built with provisions for expansion in place when it opened. They could have easily doubled the seating capacity by building corresponding grandstands on the east side of the track, they have enough room for parking, and have all of the other infrastructure in place or readily available. I spoke to a track official who told me a drag strip was also on their agenda, to be built on the other side of I-25 should Bandimere ever have to close.

thanks, Bob. It sure is a shame to let it sit there doing nothing. Just another reason I'm not a big NASCAR fan

Cheers,
Ed

umm.........NO !

Wow ... and to think we aren't allowed to advertise because the NHRA considers us "competition"

Bobby,

Its back again. I checked the site over the last 48 hours and it is there more than any other ad so maybe you should try again to help them with news and updates. LOL. So when are you going to start ads for other online mags? Haha

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back