NASCAR vs. NHRA (version 3,000,000) (1 Viewer)

lmhb oyf

Nitro Member
I know the NHRA vs. NASCAR arguments/complaints/comparisons have been done over and over and over again but one thing while watching today's race REALLY stood out to me and raised a question that I hope those who are TRULY in the know might help out in answering.

While watching today I was amazed how at nearly EVERY commercial break during the Daytona 500, the first one or two commercials were ads for sponsors either directly supporting a NASCAR team or supporting the sport of NASCAR. Some of which were quite humorous I might add.

So why is it that, during a telecast of the NHRA races, we don't see NHRA or team sponsor themed commercials from respective sponsors?

I'm sure the ad slots during the Daytona 500 cost a pretty good premium, however, I can't imagine the cost of an ad during most NHRA telecasts costing 1/3 of what some of today's ads cost.

It just amazes and puzzles me why the NHRA and its sponsors, both corporate and team based, don't use what they have more.

I know the NHRA vs. NASCAR arguments/complaints/comparisons have been done over and over and over again but one thing while watching today's race REALLY stood out to me and raised a question that I hope those who are TRULY in the know might help out in answering.

So why is it that, during a telecast of the NHRA races, we don't see NHRA or team sponsor themed commercials from respective sponsors?

It just amazes and puzzles me why the NHRA and its sponsors, both corporate and team based, don't use what they have more.

I gotta tell ya Drew, I'm not sure I agree with you. In fact, what bugs me is that most sponsors pay for commercials during race coverage of NHRA events on ESPN2: Fram, Brut, Castrol, Army, CarQuest, etc. I'd like to see a Brut commercial during a baseball game... or during a NASCAR event... or during Days of our Lives (not that I watch). Paying for TV commercial coverage during an event is a waste of money in my mind. 90% of the people watching are already hooked on NHRA - why show a commercial to attract them?

Maybe it's me, I don't know.

I gotta tell ya Drew, I'm not sure I agree with you. Paying for TV commercial coverage during an event is a waste of money in my mind. 90% of the people watching are already hooked on NHRA - why show a commercial to attract them?

I agree Gordon...it's like preaching to the choir.

It's nice to see TV commercials with drivers and teams featured, but remember, the difference between the popularity of NASCAR and NHRA is comparable to the difference between night and day. Corporate America will support NASCAR with promotional dollars that just aren't available to drag racing.

Some great examples of cross-promotion are all the Interstate Battery delivery trucks, all across the county, dressed up to look like the 18 car. Or, all the exposure for Tony Stewart and Jimmy Johnson inside every Home Depot and Lowes. Those two sponsors use their stores to reach millions of consumers EVERY WEEK. Drag Racing just doesn't draw those levels of sponsorship. One of the problems is there's no quick conclusion to a drag race. It typically takes 6 hours to complete an NHRA event, and with multiple round and class winners, it's confusing to the casual fan. In NASCAR they finish a race with one winner. That's a much better TV product, and much easier to support with sponsorship dollars.

Last July, Larry Dixon was doing an in-studio radio appearance here to promote the Mile-Hi Nationals. The DJ asked him the #1 difference between NASCAR and NHRA. Without flinching or hesitating, LD quickly replied: in NASCAR you have over 100,000 people sitting in the sun for 4 hours.... waiting all day long to see one little burnout. With NHRA, you see hundreds of burnouts each day - and you can get up & walk the pits & meet your favorite drivers!

I think the last time I actually watched the Daytona 500 David Pearson won the event. ;)

I watched it yesterday.

What I noticed was the level of professionalism exhibited in the advertising spots, the promotional features, the synergy between non-automotive sponsors and the vehicles/event/drivers...

What I noticed was that Brut has taken a similiar stance with NHRA (like the NASCAR sponsors). Blended advertising is where cross promotion can help not only the sponsor but also the event and NASCAR seems to understand how this works.

I would think Slytel would have been paying very close attention to the wireless advertising during the Daytona 500. Sponsors in general are in their position to gain market share and I found the advertisements during the 500 very effective.

We have great sponsors in drag racing and I think a little more interaction between drag racing sponsors and their teams could result in lifting drag racing back into mainstream America (like Mongoose and Snake Hot Wheels) where it belongs.

Great point Gordon

The only "mainstream" commercial I ever remember was the one with Kenny Berstein in the dragstar on the aircraft carrier. Other then that we only see them during nhra coverage.

The Corporate differences are astounding! Daytona gets 180,000 vs maybe 80-100,000 over an entire weekend at even a Popular Drag racing market. The Race I'm guessing drew a 6.5-7.0 ratings share compared to a 0.8-1.0 ratings share that most Drag races pull. If you were a CEO where would you advertize?

I gotta tell ya Drew, I'm not sure I agree with you. In fact, what bugs me is that most sponsors pay for commercials during race coverage of NHRA events on ESPN2: Fram, Brut, Castrol, Army, CarQuest, etc. I'd like to see a Brut commercial during a baseball game... or during a NASCAR event... or during Days of our Lives (not that I watch). Paying for TV commercial coverage during an event is a waste of money in my mind. 90% of the people watching are already hooked on NHRA - why show a commercial to attract them?

Maybe it's me, I don't know.

You're right and what I should have said is advertising aside from the broadcasts.

I guess my point is that unlike NASCAR, the NHRA sponsors seem to seldomly incorporate the faces and figures of the NHRA in their ads and I don't understand why that is.

A couple of quick thoughts.

I didn't watch the race, but did flip over to it right when all of the cars wrecked on the last lap.

The main thing that I noticed was that on Fox News and most other channels the media was hyping this event as the Super Bowl of NASCAR. The NHRA needs to do this with Indy, send out press releases, invite news people, have all of the promotion and build it up over a 5 year period to where you have it become a major media event complete with special advertsing etc.

In my opinion, this all rests with the marketing department at NHRA.

The Corporate differences are astounding! Daytona gets 180,000 vs maybe 80-100,000 over an entire weekend at even a Popular Drag racing market. The Race I'm guessing drew a 6.5-7.0 ratings share compared to a 0.8-1.0 ratings share that most Drag races pull. If you were a CEO where would you advertize?

It's kinda like the chicken vs. the egg argument, isn't it?

If NHRA could convince their corporate sponsors to spend a little (ok, maybe a lot) money to widen their coverage beyond the die-hard drag racing fan on ESPN2, then perhaps NHRA could pull in more fans over the long haul. And I agree, I like the fact that NASCAR drivers are 'actors' in their sponsors commercials - not just sound bites or shots of their car - that goes a long way towards connecting the driver to the fan base.

But if I'm the corporation/company/etc., I want NHRA to give me a wider crowd to show my product to or I'm not willing to write that kind of check.

P.S. A 1/4 mile is a 1/4 mile, you can only put so many stands/seats along 1,320 feet of pavement. Daytona is a 2 1/2 mile tri-oval - much more room for stands. But you're right, we have a difficult time filling the seats we do have, no real need to add any just yet. It frustrates me to see so many fans dressed as empty seats during Sunday coverage.:mad: :(

***WARNING: POSSIBLE HIJACK***

The same kind of issues surround drivers today. Take Brady Kalivoda as an example (Ok, so I'm a little biased, but it could apply to plenty of drivers). Team owners want drivers who can bring money to the table, even if its only a little. But how does someone go about landing a sponsor without a ride with which to do so? Again, the chicken vs. the egg.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled debate. Sorry.:eek:

NASCAR attracts the Mainstream, Big Dollar corporate sponsors, whereas NHRA sponsors tend to be automotive or tool oriented, for the most part. THe NHRA is niche marketed and NASCAR is eclectic in their ability to garner sponsorship. JMO, You're not Going to see a "Tide" or other Household products sponsoring Drag cars, in all likely hood. It's all about the $'s. The Nascar races last forever, and even slow cars are seen many times during TV coverage, which is on major networks, live.

I did like when at the very end of the race, the announcer saying, "It's a Drag Race now!"

Same can be said for the news media. For the last week, the Dallas Morning News has had at least 1 full page of the paper dedicated to Daytona, including a blurb on the the front page.:confused: when the drags come to town you have to look REAL hard to find anything about it. (unless it's a bad wreak):mad:

Same can be said for the news media. For the last week, the Dallas Morning News has had at least 1 full page of the paper dedicated to Daytona, including a blurb on the the front page.:confused: when the drags come to town you have to look REAL hard to find anything about it. (unless it's a bad wreak):mad:

Even better is to hear Terry Blount of the Dallas News on Speedfreaks act all Pro Drag racing when the Drags are in Ennis! What a hypocrate.

The main thing that I noticed was that on Fox News and most other channels the media was hyping this event as the Super Bowl of NASCAR. The NHRA needs to do this with Indy, send out press releases, invite news people, have all of the promotion and build it up over a 5 year period to where you have it become a major media event complete with special advertsing etc.

In my opinion, this all rests with the marketing department at NHRA.

What makes you think they don't?

From what I've seen regarding the sometimes empty seats in any national event's media center, the only sure way to fill them is equip the NHRA Media department with guns and leg irons.

In 99% of the cases, the advance person works their tail off trying to get the local media to pay attention. Until NHRA is known as a "hot property", it just ain't gonna happen.

It hasn't been that long ago that the dragstrip at Rockingham had better attendance than the NASCAR track across the street.

How did NASCAR do it? Many think it was helped by having their marketing office in NYC where most of the high powered movers and shakers were. As far as I'm concerned, things started happening after Days Of Thunder. That movie took NASCAR to the public, and it's been "cool" ever since.

As far as I'm concerned, things started happening after Days Of Thunder. That movie took NASCAR to the public, and it's been "cool" ever since.

NO WAY ... definitely "Stroker Ace" was the movie that took NASCAR mainstream and made it cool. Without "Stroker Ace", "Days of Thunder" never gets green-lighted. ;)

...How did NASCAR do it? Many think it was helped by having their marketing office in NYC where most of the high powered movers and shakers were. As far as I'm concerned, things started happening after Days Of Thunder. That movie took NASCAR to the public, and it's been "cool" ever since.

It's probably true that Days of Thunder helped bring NASCAR into the mainstream of American sports. But what also helped was the split in the open wheel racing ranks and events like the 1994 baseball strike, both of which happened around the same time. Add to this some of the player scandals that came to light in those years. There were many people like myself who grew disenchanted with the state of professional stick and ball sports and found NASCAR to be a refreshing alternative. I'd say that NASCAR happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right image.

It's all about TV...and the NASCAR product is just a superior TV product to the NHRA product. It's easier for people to understand NASCAR...there's only ONE winner per race, and they can show the entire race live. Too many winners (rounds & classes) in NHRA, plus it takes all day to run a race. Television will never allocate that much air time.

Another major difference...the 43rd finisher in 'The Great American Race' pocketed a cool $300,000. FOR LAST PLACE !!!! THERE is the real difference between the two, MONEY!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back