GM Pullout in Nascar and Daytona (1 Viewer)

Fueler32

Nitro Member
I see that GM has said to be pulling its sponsorship out of Daytona 500 and all its support Vehicles. Wonder if its coming to NHRA Next, I hope not.

GM rethinks Daytona sponsorship: General Motors Corp. has not decided whether to renew a decades-long sponsorship of the Daytona International Speedway and its signature stock car race, the Daytona 500, despite the deal's expiration in three weeks. GM has a multiyear agreement that ends Dec. 31 to serve as the official car and truck provider of the speedway and the Daytona 500, NASCAR's most prestigious event, speedway spokesman Andrew Booth said Thursday. The race is Feb. 15. GM said discussions are under way about the Daytona sponsorship but the automaker has not reached an agreement. The Daytona sponsorship dates to the early 1970s. GM provides fire and safety vehicles, pace cars and other vehicles for use during the race, as well as a July race at the track. GM did not disclose how much it spends on the Daytona deal or NASCAR sponsorships. Scaling back motorsports sponsorships is seen as a risky move because the auto industry and racing are closely linked and give automakers a prime marketing opportunity to reach customers who buy domestic vehicles at a rate higher than the national average. Race fans, particularly stock car enthusiasts, are loyal to the sport's sponsors and advertisers. The heritage and loyalty runs so deep that NASCAR Chairman Brian France recently lobbied Congress to support a financial bailout of the auto industry. NASCAR sponsorships are a wise investment because each race attracts about 120,000 fans, said Terry Dolan, manager of Chevy Racing. GM often creates a showroom environment on the speedway grounds, giving spectators an intimate look at its model lineup. The 2008 Daytona 500 attracted 33.5 million television viewers and is the top-rated motorsports telecast in North America. This year, GM had sponsorships at 12 tracks that feature NASCAR events, including the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, though three of those sponsorships have not been renewed. Chevrolet also is the official vehicle sponsor of the Chevy Rock & Roll 400 held in September at Richmond International Raceway in Virginia. That sponsorship expires next year

Probably one of the new Chinese car companies will step up and become the official car of the Daytona 500

that report was taken way out of text from what i was told.... Daytona is one of all their options they are weighing to decide which ones to keep in place... Daytona just happened to be the biggest name plate on that list....

NASCAR is hoping that thier fans will catch on to the severity of the situation and call their local reps to help get votes for the BAIL OUT... to help their pockets to continue to get lined...

I expect some of the more profitable programs will stay in place....

Peronsaly i think all the heads othe big three need to sign a contract stating that they won't take any type of bonus till the companys turn around.. that could give millions back to the motorsports promotion programs....:D

Billy

NASCAR is hoping that thier fans will catch on to the severity of the situation and call their local reps to help get votes for the BAIL OUT... to help their pockets to continue to get lined...
Billy

The senate "crashed" the bailout for the automakers. GM, and Chrysler are screwed.:D

On another note Ford figured out how deal with getting through the rough times ahead without the gov's help.

The senate "crashed" the bailout for the automakers. GM, and Chrysler are screwed.:D

On another note Ford figured out how deal with getting through the rough times ahead without the gov's help.

yep.. and if you watch the Stock market.. while small.... Fords stock has risen all this week....lol... everyone elses has dropped.....

Billy

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back