Could GM Goodwrench Nascar Pullout Affect WJ, KJ, etc.? (1 Viewer)

Triple Nickel II

Nitro Member
Earlier this week it was announced that after 21 years GM Goodwrench was leaving the primary Nascar sponsorship of Richard Childress Racing (Kevin Harvick / former Dale Earnhardt car).

According to one article Goodwrench, AC Delco, and more are all under the umbrella fo General Motors Service Parts Organization and cited "changing markets, the climate for all companies involved in the automotive industry...and money were all factors in the decision."

Obviously WJ and KJ have the most visible GMSPO sponsorships in NHRA. Could this Nascar team sponsorship move signal a change in the future for NHRA team sponsorships?

We can only hope it may bring more sponsorship money to the NHRA teams, lets all think positive! After all, doesn't the sponsorship for a NASCAR team, cost more money than an NHRA team sponsorship?

Try 20-30 million for a typical NASCAR sponsorship Vs. the 3 million it takes to sponser a competitive FC, TF or Pro stock team.

GM, Ford and Daimler/Chrysler are bleeding red ink. I'm afraid cutbacks in all of their motorsports programs are inevitable.
Toyota spent a billion (thats 1000 million) dollars in F1 last year and it is rumored that they will spend an equal amount as they enter NASCAR Nextel Cup. If they show up at the doorstep in Glendora with checkbook in hand, will we see Camrys or Solaras in PS?

I'm not a betting man but 5 will get you 10 says WJ has negotiated a contractual committment for his multi-year sponsorship. As I recall his interruption from his "School's Out" tour came as a result of a multi-year deal being offered him by GM.

Maybe Bill Gates will jump in and purchase him a NASCAR connection team, research and development group, first class testing equipment and new facility next to their own personal testing track where they can "test the wheels off" their cars?

If they show up at the doorstep in Glendora with checkbook in hand, will we see Camrys or Solaras in PS?

Probably not. Unless I'm wrong, the body styles in PS also have to use engines by that same manufacturer that it's based on. And for what it's worth, I don't see Toyota spending the millions it would take to develop a racing version of its "iForce" V8s that would be competitive. And besides, who the h*ll wants to see a Toyota in Pro Stock?

.....I don't see Toyota spending the millions it would take to develop a racing version of its "iForce" V8s that would be competitive. And besides, who the h*ll wants to see a Toyota in Pro Stock?

If Jim Young is correct, and Toyota DID spend one Billion dollars in F1 last year…… Developing a legal engine for NHRA Pro Stock racing doesn’t sound like it would be a problem for Toyota’s check book.

Don’t get me wrong…

I don’t necessarily want to see a Toyota in Pro Stock either but the people in Glendora don’t see Chevy, Pontiac, Mopar or Toyota emblems on a race car…. They see $$$$. In the end, if Toyota wants it bad enough, it just might happen.

Just my $.02

Probably not. Unless I'm wrong, the body styles in PS also have to use engines by that same manufacturer that it's based on. And for what it's worth, I don't see Toyota spending the millions it would take to develop a racing version of its "iForce" V8s that would be competitive. And besides, who the h*ll wants to see a Toyota in Pro Stock?

Just to let you know, rumor going around for a while is that Toyota has been working on a big block for pro stock and it should be out in late 2007 or early 2008. Expect to see a new pro stock team next year with very close ties to Toyota.

And besides, who the h*ll wants to see a Toyota in Pro Stock?

I'd like to see Toyota, Nissan and Honda in Pro Stock. A good portion of the American population drives them, it would add to the manufaturer rivalries and most of their cars sold here are made here by Americans, not in Canada, Mexico or South Korea.

S/F
D

I'd like to see Toyota, Nissan and Honda in Pro Stock. A good portion of the American population drives them, it would add to the manufaturer rivalries and most of their cars sold here are made here by Americans, not in Canada, Mexico or South Korea.

S/F
D
You make a good point grasshoppa.

I don't necessarily like the foreign auto manufancturers - but there are a lot of them being driven in America - and that is a wide demographic.

You start bringing their money into NHRA - and then you see our sport stay alive...
I wish it could be the big 3 forever - but it may have to be just whatever it takes to stay alive.

DLB

Just to let you know, rumor going around for a while is that Toyota has been working on a big block for pro stock and it should be out in late 2007 or early 2008. Expect to see a new pro stock team next year with very close ties to Toyota.
yep your right;)

Sorry Devallion, you're just mistaken.
Most of the import brand cars assembled here use imported parts. Furthermore, Japan and South Korea use a number of illegal methods to deny US manufacturers access to their domestic markets. I'm confident that Toyota and Honda could compete effectively with US manufacturers on a level playing field. That does not mean, however, that the playing field is level.
I'm an ardent free trader and I have owned and do own imported cars. For me this is not an "us versus them" deal. I am not blind, however.
Ten years ago our government and the South Korean government signed a free trade deal for autos. In the year before the deal was signed we sold, roughly, 4500 cars in South Korea. Last year roughly 4500 US built autos found a buyer in South Korea. Wiggle it any way you want, there are more than 4500 Korean buyers for the best of our cars.
When Honda came to the US, it attached itself remora-like to Olds franchises from sea to shining sea. When GM went to Japan, the Japanese manufacturers closed their franchise locations to US manufacturers. The difference? In this country the manufacturers are forbidden from maintaining the kind of dealer franchise control that Japan allows its manufacturers.
We allow sample testing for emissions compliance to importers. The Asians have, typically, imposed a requirement for testing every unit on importers raising the costs substantially.
We use an income tax on profits for revenue. Other countries, for the most part, use a Value Added Tax. When other countries export to our country, the home country does not apply the VAT and the goods are shipped here tax free. In an attempt to equalize competition; the US allowed some manufacturers (not autos) to exempt foreign sales from earnings. The WTO howled that we were "subsidizing" exports and we backed off.
Japanese companies engage in a form of business cooperation they call keiretsu. That same type of cooperation in the US is often styled "conspiracy in restraint of trade" and is illegal. Only recently has our government wised up enough to allow manufacturers to conduct joint research on emissions, fuel economy and safety items.
Foreign auto plants in the US are built in states that give them property tax forgiveness and other financial incentives which further lower their costs.
Our beloved President (I voted for him twice) thinks Detroit's problem goes away if they "just build relevant cars." Detroit deserves a great deal of criticism - which they get. The other players who added to their current struggle get away scot free.
All that said, I'd like to see Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans in Pro/Stock, too. Of course, Honda would first have to build a V8 - any V8.
I'd also like to have one of those nifty Celica bodies for our Funny Car.
Cheers,
Ed
By the bye, at current count my family rolling stock consists of three Chevrolets, a Toyota, a Honda, and a Cadillac. That's fair, isn't it?

GM, Ford and Daimler/Chrysler are bleeding red ink. I'm afraid cutbacks in all of their motorsports programs are inevitable.
Toyota spent a billion (thats 1000 million) dollars in F1 last year and it is rumored that they will spend an equal amount as they enter NASCAR Nextel Cup. If they show up at the doorstep in Glendora with checkbook in hand, will we see Camrys or Solaras in PS?

Very true. For whatever they spent in F1 last year they certainly didn't get their moneys worth as their results are not anywhere near the top. They also bailed out of Champ Car, or was it the IRL, when they got poor results. NASCAR or the NHRA would seem to be relatively easy pickings since the other major sponsoring car companies are bleeding red ink with little hope of a recovery any time soon.

Try 20-30 million for a typical NASCAR sponsorship Vs. the 3 million it takes to sponser a competitive FC, TF or Pro stock team.

Samuel, is that a type O? 20-30 million for a NASCAR sponsorship, please tell me you're joking? That's a huge pile of dollar bills, if my math is right that could be 10 NHRA teams. OooHhh MmmYyy!

Samuel, is that a type O? 20-30 million for a NASCAR sponsorship, please tell me you're joking? That's a huge pile of dollar bills, if my math is right that could be 10 NHRA teams. OooHhh MmmYyy!
I believe he's correct. I have it on good authority that a competitive Busch car is $11-12 million, so I can only assume that a 75-150% cost jump would be appropriate for a front-running Winston Cup...er, I mean, Nextel Cup car. :rolleyes:

...Japanese companies engage in a form of business cooperation they call keiretsu...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiretsu

Ed, you're right...but that doesn't change the underlying profitability problem that the Big 3 are having, due in large part to three simple problems:

1. Health and retirement costs for current and past employees
2. Inefficient project development and manufacturing techniques
3. Lack of robust, interchangeable platforms from model to model. (Only in very recent years/models have domestic manufacturers embraced this problem)

Toyota, specifically, is a nearly flawless example of Lean Manufacturing (5S) techniques, and generates nearly $2,600 in additional profit per vehicle than domestics.

Realistically, the Big 3 have baked themselves a nice steaming kettle of poop stew over the last fifty years, and the repercussions are just now coming to bear.

But I still love my GMC trucks and vans. :)

You make a good point grasshoppa.

I don't necessarily like the foreign auto manufancturers - but there are a lot of them being driven in America - and that is a wide demographic.

You start bringing their money into NHRA - and then you see our sport stay alive...
I wish it could be the big 3 forever - but it may have to be just whatever it takes to stay alive.

DLB

Domo arigato sensei:D

All that said, I'd like to see Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans in Pro/Stock, too. Of course, Honda would first have to build a V8 - any V8.
I'd also like to have one of those nifty Celica bodies for our Funny Car.
Cheers,
Ed
By the bye, at current count my family rolling stock consists of three Chevrolets, a Toyota, a Honda, and a Cadillac. That's fair, isn't it?

Okay Ed I'll grant you all of that ( I'll go and study the Wiki). I'll just tell you while on Oki I saw Honda Accord Coupes and Wagons with the Honda of America badges on them. I never saw any of the large Toyota/Honda pickups and SUVs that we have here on Oki or in Thailand. The Cavalier that was run in prostock is badged as a Toyota Cavalier in Japan. I would run by the Chrysler/Jeep dealer on Oki. I also walked by the Cadillac dealer in Seoul. And the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln :D Kampai

S/F
D

the main reason the "domestic" brands are struggling is lack of quality. i've owned foreign and domestic cars. the domestic cars are in the shop 10 times more often than the foreign cars. also, if you're bored sometime, do a kelley blue book on a chevy cavalier vs honda civic (same year, same mileage, condition, etc)....the resale difference will blow your mind. not to mention fuel economy, peformance, reliability and the fact that the place of final assembly is usually kentucky or ohio instead of canada or mexico.

just wait until toyota, nissan, et al. start venturing into the heavy duty truck market, which the big 3 have had cornered in the past. that is the one last thing that the domestic brands have that could be the straw that breaks the camel's back if the "foreign" brands are successful.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back