I guess I'm ignorant, please educate if able... (1 Viewer)

However, on a positive note....the best drag racing ad ever made has to be the Tequila Petrone ad for responsible drinking. It's priceless and really gets the message across.

Hey Ma, is "Tequila Petrone" a blend of Petrol and Patron? :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Agreed, it's a good and responsible ad.

Ok, so I'm old and I can't spell !!!!! Tasting tequila it just might be that mixture.....lol. I get in enough trouble with beer.

I think the observational evidence is that whatever the NHRA has set the price for exclusivity to be, it's too low. Every sponsor appears to be exclusive -- seems like its just a checkbox on the contract: check here for exclusivity, pay just 10% more. if you're going to shut out all other competitors, I would think that's worth a 2-3X premium.

Its not an option for potential sponsors. If they want to be a MAJOR sponsor on an NHRA professional vehicle, they MUST become a sponsor of NHRA as well....
Thats why you have so many potentially major sponsors join DSR and JFM as "associate" level sponsors for much more cash than the norm.

NHRA had no problem with Deja Vu sponsoring Pluegers NFC at the March Meet. They even had the dancers in the pit area scantilly clad and handing out coupons ... not that I am complaining LOL.

Pepsi signs were on the Worsham's trailers long after Coke/Powerade came aboard. When I asked Chuck about it, he told me NHRA tried to force him to take the signs off, but he resisted and NHRA backed down.
i never saw the Pepsi signs on the car except at an IHRA race.

Its not an option for potential sponsors. If they want to be a MAJOR sponsor on an NHRA professional vehicle, they MUST become a sponsor of NHRA as well....
Thats why you have so many potentially major sponsors join DSR and JFM as "associate" level sponsors for much more cash than the norm.

That's just flat NOT true. Patron', Castrol, DHL, Matco just to name a few. Major on a car, not an NHRA sponsor, (and in direct competition with the NHRA "Official Sponsors) Lucas, Mac, etc.

Alan

i never saw the Pepsi signs on the car except at an IHRA race.

Del blew the Mountain Dew body off the car at Joliet in '03 or '04. Mountain Dew is PepsiCo.

EDIT: Yay for google image search, and it was '01, the first year of the PowerADE deal.

dew2.jpg

Last edited:
After the Mello Yellow deal goes into effect the energy drink companies like red bull and monster will be able to compete again just like the mountain dew car was not a problem when powerade was title sponsor.

The selling official sponsorship is fine but limiting who can promote their product at the event is terrible for the sport. Can you imagine the amount of money the likes of Red Bull would spend at drag races.

Free enterprise and competition is what drives this economy. Open the gates let the big boys be challenged for what they get. Who knows maybe someone else will come along pour some money into the sport and take it to the next level.

Instead of manipulating the sport for a fee that covers about 30% of the TV bill. Oh yea and gets about 50% of the commercial time during the event's air time that schedule gets pushed back for the likes of little league baseball tournament

Sorry for the rant

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back