CoPart auto sales site (1 Viewer)

Todd

Nitro Member
Has anybody went and checked out this site? It was very very disappointing.

All they sell are wrecked automobiles.
After searching the entire state of Minnesota they only have one (van) listed
as not totaled of all GM's.

I may have missed something but when I see the commercials they don't say anything about them all being totaled.

I wanted to support them and NHRA in my next purchase but I'm not into fixing cars.

My dad works in the insurance industry and says they are huge with insurance companies. Says they all go on the site to get approximate valuations etc.

Has anybody went and checked out this site? It was very very disappointing.

All they sell are wrecked automobiles.
After searching the entire state of Minnesota they only have one (van) listed
as not totaled of all GM's.

I may have missed something but when I see the commercials they don't say anything about them all being totaled.

I wanted to support them and NHRA in my next purchase but I'm not into fixing cars.

That's the business they're in..... insurance salvage vehicles.

If a vehicle is in an accident, the insurance adjuster decides if they are going to pay for repairs, or just "total" the car. Once it's totaled and the owner is paid off for the car, the wrecked vehicle now becomes property of the insurance company...... and they don't want it either! Companies like Copart buy salvage vehicles from insurance companies, then resell them for profit.

That's the business they're in..... insurance salvage vehicles.

I now realize that. What confused me was when I see there commercials they didn't seem to mention a single thing about all they sell is salvaged ones. There hook was Wholesale prices available to the public.

Like I said perhaps I missed something.

But I'm glad to see them in Drag Racing..........

Well...for me, as long as they stand up to their deal with KBR, I don't care if they sell used toothpicks as long as they keep another team on the track. :D

Appears to be a solid company. Heavily invested in Nascar as well.

I welcome them and wish them great success..and oh..thanks for stepping up with KB.

If I remember correctly CoPart was the contract company for most of the estimated 500,000 Katrina flood and hurricaine damaged vehicles.
That's a LOT of salavge disposal folks.
You should have seen the hundreds of acres of cars/trucks/motorhomes/18 wheelers/boats and motorcycles we had down here.

I hope they stay past the one year deal that KBR is said to have.

Last edited:
Years back I drove a flatbed for a salvage yard. How things work is the owner of the yard goes to an auction at Copart + picks what cars to buy then I'd go up a couple of days later to haul them out. Coparts yard (at the time) was quite large ( 1000 cars?) everything from Ferraris to 10 year old couple of hundred dollar specials. At the time, the weren't open to the public-you had to be a salvage or repair dealer just to set foot on the lot. Its big organized company-heard of them being smart enough to shuffle cars from their various lots according to demand + the seasons (4wd trucks in new england when winters coming for example). Not a bad company to take money from-solid + in the auto biz.

I had the same problem, I found a late Mercedes S550 that was not a salvage. Signed up and posted a $400.00 deposit, I spoke to one of thier few authorized reseller, who was a very good guy, and helped we figure how to make an offer, 1, you have to have 10% of proposed purchase price on deposit, which I did ($4,000.00 as I was will to go $40,000.00), in order to veiw the car you have to pay a fee to enter. So Ok I followed the rules and the day before the auction the car was pulled from the sale list. I checked for a few weeks for another potential car to bid on without luck. Like was said above most of the cars are salvage title cars, whick are almost impossible to insure. I canced my membership and my $4,000.00 was immediatly credited to my credit card.

They are huge with sales of nearly One Billion Dollars a year in sales, but I think they will have to revamp thier criteria if they expect consumers lured in by thier sponsorship of KB Racing. Looks like an excellent company, hope they modify thier scope.

Copart is trying their best to open up their insurance salvage auctions to the general public--which would in turn drastically drive up the already expensive salvage auto vehicles. In my opinion, it would open the floodgates for unsuspecting consumers to be sold flood and wrecked automobiles unknowingly. Insurance salvage vehicles should be sold only to licensed disposal companies or properly licensed rebuilders so they can be handled both legally as far as title issues and proper disclosure to consumers, and enviromentally correct as to disposal of hazardous waste materials. In Arkansas, a salvage bid card is required to buy vehicles at a salvage auto auction. To qualify for a bid card, you must be a licensed car dealer which makes you subject to state salvage title laws and restrictions. In our state as with most states, a used car dealer must be bonded and insured. Copart fought the salvage bid card from the start, and unsuccessfully tried to repeal the law last legislative session in an effort to open their in state sales to the general public. However, more power to KB for getting some Copart money--they have plenty to spend.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back