What if? (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Nitro Member
Alright, I know this subject has been discussed ad nauseum and the horse has been kicked, beaten, buried, dug up, kicked again, etc. But bear with me as I had an epiphany this morning. If someone has already had this idea and I missed it, please accept my apologies in advance.

I hate the new points system as much as the next guy (or gal), but if we're going to be stuck with it, perhaps we can seek a way to improve on the idea NHRA has proposed.

What if each of the remaining national events after Indy had two eight car professional ladders in each category? One for the playoff cars and one for the non-playoff cars. I think it would help, though certainly not eliminate, the media focusing on one or two cars as the season approaches the final race of the year and would prevent a non-playoff contender from eliminating a playoff car. Even after the countdown to four, all cars who made the original cut would compete in the winners bracket through Pomona, though they'd be out of the championship chase.

Also, NHRA should come up with a 'prize' for the team that garners the most points in the losers bracket (for lack of a better phrase) that would make it worth their while to compete hard to the end.

Perhaps my idea has holes and bugs, but what does everyone think?

Standing by to get blasted...

I so utterly and completely hate the whole fake points system idea.

if I had a gun to my head and had to choose to keep it but with changes, then I would go with the playoff bracket and non playoff bracket, the winner of each races each other in the final to be the race winner.

Do whatever you want as long as someone keeps a running tabulation so we know who the points champs in the real world would have been. Regardless who NHRA crowns and gives the check to while they're playing their affirmative action games, that's who will be the 2007 champs as far as I'm concerned. After that, you can call the first guy last and the last guy first for all I care.

Last edited:
Another idea: Keep the points totals rolling after Indy and count 'em toward the next year. All the teams in the "chase," could chase their Championship. All the teams out of the chase would have something to shoot for because the points totals would be recalibrated after Indy each year. I may not be explaining this as clearly as I should.
I'm thinking of a system much like the system used to qualify the cars for the Big Bud Shootout, etc.
Cheers,
Ed

Right. Do whatever side game you want to. But the champion in each class should simply be the person who got the most points, IMO, and in what seems to be the opinions of most. Let NHRA wave a stick, say "ooga booga booga" and call whoever else the champ that they want to. The rest of us will still know.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back