Indy Mystique (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Nitro Member
As Indy approaches there's no doubt in anyone's mind that it's the greatest drag race on the face of the earth. They don't call it the 'Big Go' for nothin'. Maybe it's just me because I haven't had an opportunity to attend in quite a while, but I think it's lost a little bit of it's mystique. So, since I don't like to bring up a problem without a proposed solution, I ask this...

What if NHRA developed a double elimination bracket for the pro classes at Indy only? I know it would involve a lot more expenditure for everyone, with the most impact on the low budget teams. Also, eliminations would have to begin on Saturday & they'd probably have to sacrifice at least one of the qualification rounds, but wouldn't it be awesome?

Let's use last year as an example. Whit rolls in deep against Ron and wins on a hole shot. As I recall, a lot of folks were up in arms after that happened because Ron was in a tough points battle. But now consider my idea above. Ron moves over to the losers bracket and advances to the final (where he earns those elusive eight points). In a perfect world, he would meet up with Whit from the winners bracket. Better yet, for the sake of drama, he would beat Whit twice in a row to take home the Wally. That would make for great racing, I think. Just one example, but the possibilities are limitless.

Again, I know the money is the biggest negating factor & I don't have an answer for that. But look at NASCAR's biggest race - Daytona. They run the twin 125's, etc. It's a full week of great racing. Indy merely has one extra round of qualifying as well as the Ringers Pro Bike Challenge & the Skoal Showdown, but they could be moved, couldn't they? I suppose they add to the excitement of Indy, but not any more than double eliminations would & if they develop a way to rotate the races within a race, then everyone gets to see them in all different conditions. Perhaps move the specialty races ahead or back one race each year so they rotate throughout the circuit.

Anyway, I'm just curious about what everyone else thinks. I know it's a pipe dream, but without dreams what do we have? If everyone thinks it's a terrible idea I can accept that, I was just curious.

I think NHRA needs to do something to beef up the activities. If they are going to tout Indy and the US Nats as being one of the premier races, why not go the extra mile and do things a little differently and get the extra exposure for the sport. Given the additional factors that many teams have bases in Indy adds to the reasons why this should be done.

I think it has potential. Anytime you stray from the norm you will have detractors, but it adds to the overall events. Even have the King Demon race at Indy on an off-day instead of trying to get it in between qualifying. Not only does it give the individual sponsors more of the spotlight, but it gives fans more reasons to go watch in person or on TV.

You could even do the King Demon/Ringers/Skoal Showdown live on TV if they did it right. Throw in some of the other events and fanfare going on to make it attractive to viewers and you've got yourself a good show to recruit new fans.

Wasn't it worth more points than the other races at one time?

I think the NHRA should look into revisiting that.

Wasn't it worth more points than the other races at one time?

I think the NHRA should look into revisiting that.

Yes it was points and a half but I'm not sure when it reverted back to normal points. I've asked around but I can't find anyone who knows for sure when and/or why.

So is my idea out in left field or do you think it has potential?
Gotta admit this is the first time I've seen someone suggest a double elimination ladder in drag racing at the Pro level. I've played in a bunch of pool tournaments that were double elim, but if you lost anywhere on the ladder, all you had to do was get something to eat and chalk up your stick for the next round. I can't see that format working at the Pro level in drag racing, even if it was just for one event.

Gordon, Indy has lost a lot of it's mystique since I started going there in 1967. It'll never be as it was. The only thing that remains constant is change. Your suggestions are interesting, and fun to contemplate the "what ifs", but I doubt we'll ever see changes like you suggest. It's all about bux now, everyone's a "pro" now, even a lot of the sportsmen. Innovation is stifled, if not stamped out, by the suits in Glendora. Safety is a thousand percent better and that's wonderful. But those days, when the mystique really existed, are gone, long gone.

Gordon, Indy has lost a lot of it's mystique since I started going there in 1967. It'll never be as it was. The only thing that remains constant is change. Your suggestions are interesting, and fun to contemplate the "what ifs", but I doubt we'll ever see changes like you suggest. It's all about bux now, everyone's a "pro" now, even a lot of the sportsmen. Innovation is stifled, if not stamped out, by the suits in Glendora. Safety is a thousand percent better and that's wonderful. But those days, when the mystique really existed, are gone, long gone.

Yeah, I hear ya... and I agree. I never in a million years would've actually expected NHRA to implement my idea, I just wanted to create a discussion. Your points are right on too. I try to explain to my young daughter how great it is to go to the races now expecting to NOT see a crash. When I was a lot younger it seemed it was just the opposite - lots of oil, lots of crashes, etc.

Indy is still awesome & it's still the Granddaddy, but ahh, the days of old...

Bring back more points, double, and a LOT of money, make the racers want to win Indy more than winning any other race during the year.

i would love to see the fuelers and funnys in one big class at indy .
32 car field. one champ
too bad there is no way to have heads up racing between the two classes'
all the other forms of racing have one champ at the end of the day.
big payout, big media, and a lot of rooting for one class or the other.

Do you think winning Indy can save a season?

Oh hell yes! And I think winning Indy HAS saved the season for several drivers.

Here's a proposal for you: At Indy, starting this year, all pro cars and drivers who make it down the track in 3 of their 5 qualifying attempts (Yes, the pros get 5 runs in Indy) will be qualified for Monday eliminations. Think about that for a first round! And you'd see some bye runs too! It could get VERY interesting! Winners would be essentially getting bonus points depending on how many extra rounds they are going beyond the normal 4 rounds. Now before you think this wont make much difference take a look at the points in Top fuel right now. 32 cars have TF points. And we've all been lusting for a 32 car field for years! 31 Funny Car drivers have points! 36 Pro Stock drivers have points, and 34 PSB riders have points! I say let em all run in Indy. Well, there are my taters for this stew! See ya at Indy!

Oh hell yes! And I think winning Indy HAS saved the season for several drivers.

Here's a proposal for you: At Indy, starting this year, all pro cars and drivers who make it down the track in 3 of their 5 qualifying attempts (Yes, the pros get 5 runs in Indy) will be qualified for Monday eliminations. Think about that for a first round! And you'd see some bye runs too! It could get VERY interesting! Winners would be essentially getting bonus points depending on how many extra rounds they are going beyond the normal 4 rounds. Now before you think this wont make much difference take a look at the points in Top fuel right now. 32 cars have TF points. And we've all been lusting for a 32 car field for years! 31 Funny Car drivers have points! 36 Pro Stock drivers have points, and 34 PSB riders have points! I say let em all run in Indy. Well, there are my taters for this stew! See ya at Indy!

That would be interesting. And I agree that if teams knew all they had to do was make it down the track three times (out of five chances) a lot more cars and bikes would show up.

I think there would have to be a minimum ET established to determine whether or not a car or bike "made it down the track" though.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back