Points vs. Points (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
With the change now official in the MATCO car I'm wondering what everyone thinks of the fact that DSR is apparently more concerned with earning points for next year's Skoal Showdown, than a top ten in Funny Car. Whit would have certainly finished top ten, and the way the car is running right now I could see him in the top five by the end of the year.

There are a number of MATERs that are upset that next year a driver not in the top eight at Indy, would not have a chance of moving up. And here is a VERY good driver that has the chance to do just that, but the team doesn’t seem concerned about it. I’m not saying that the Showdown was THE determining factor in the decision, but I’m sure it was one of the considerations.

And I do believe that for most of the big teams, if you’re not the champ, 2 through 10 doesn’t mean much. Case in point, Ron Capps had an incredible season last year, but his car number is still 28, not 2

Alan

My immediate thought is that the TV exposure for the Showdown is way more important than any that might be garnered by having a car that "finished well last season". In other words, I guess he feels that Beckman can drive well enough, in a car that has really been running, to make some noise for the remainder of the season. I think there is a big advatage to getting the learning curve started now so that next season they can hit the track running.

I guess with no real shot at the championship, and this move being inevitable, it was better sooner than later for DSR... they have a business to run, right? And with Indy being the last race, why not now? Jack can get seat time in the car from here on out & earn those Skoal points for whom ever the new sponsor will be. Everyone can't do it the way Robert Hight did.:eek:

The writing was on the wall... and the ceiling, the floor, the baseboards, windows, and... well you get the idea. I just wish Whit the best and hope that he's in a funny car next year. Top fuel would be good (anything as long as he's out there), but I'd like to see him stay with the flopper guys & gal.

$$$ talks...

Where ever you go in 2007 Whit, Good Luck!!
:) :)

Alan, I appreciate your insight. To paraphrase a couple of my favorite movie quotes, "we may think we know what's going on here, but we don't" and "you can follow the truth and it'll get you some good pictures but if you want the truth you've got to follow the money". This decision was definitely about money I'm just not sure whose.

I would also expect that since it has been determined that Jack will drive next year (although I guess no official announcement has been made), why not get him more seat time before the full assault next year. How will this affect Jack's ROTY chances?

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. So what is the break point for ROTY eligibility?

Last edited:
On a personal level I don't like, I do think it matters to drivers if they finish in the top 10. Ask Rod Fuller if it was a big deal making the top 10 last year? Ask JR Todd, Hillary Will, Cory, Baca and Herbet if it matters to them if they make the top 10 this year?

On a business level I understand it fully. I think the skoal points is a convient reason. Yes it may play a role but I think getting Jack some laps in a funny car and allowing the changes to settle and the team to regel before next year is the main factor for this move and from a business perspective a smart one.

I'm assuming by Beckman getting in the car now they can hopefully get some more sponsorship for next year. If the MTS money was enough to run a car on he would of been out there this year.

Chris, got have a ride 1st. Jack wanted a championship caliber ride and you cant fault him for waiting.

With the NHRA season ending payouts the way they are (as in a complete joke and utter disgrace) it doesn't make that much difference financially to a team/driver where you finish in positions 2-10. So, from a financial perspective, neither Shoe nor Whit are likely taking a hit to the wallet on whether Whit finishes Top 10 or not.

I still find it incredible that Compton ($450K conservative) made more money last year in salary (not including any bonuses, company cars, etc) than any of the season ending points championship got paid ($400K TF/FC and $200K PS, $50K PSB) but that is a whole other thread ....

I'm assuming by Beckman getting in the car now they can hopefully get some more sponsorship for next year. If the MTS money was enough to run a car on he would of been out there this year.

If we take the press release as true to it's word then it looks to me like Whit wanted assurance that they would have the funding to compete for the championship. With MATCO gone Shue couldn't promise that. Soooo... Maybe with Beckman's sponsor they don't need another BIG one just some more associates.

With the change now official in the MATCO car I'm wondering what everyone thinks of the fact that DSR is apparently more concerned with earning points for next year's Skoal Showdown, than a top ten in Funny Car. Whit would have certainly finished top ten, and the way the car is running right now I could see him in the top five by the end of the year.

There are a number of MATERs that are upset that next year a driver not in the top eight at Indy, would not have a chance of moving up. And here is a VERY good driver that has the chance to do just that, but the team doesn’t seem concerned about it. I’m not saying that the Showdown was THE determining factor in the decision, but I’m sure it was one of the considerations.

And I do believe that for most of the big teams, if you’re not the champ, 2 through 10 doesn’t mean much. Case in point, Ron Capps had an incredible season last year, but his car number is still 28, not 2

Alan

Alan, you make a very interesting point. I'll bet there are a lot of things going on we don't know and may not ever know, but you know and can't say right now. I guess the TV time for the Skoal Showdown rates pretty high and maybe Don "Shoe" figured the team could not do what Jimmy Prock did with Robert Hight in his rookie year, putting him in the Skoal Showdown. I only wish Whit the best, he deserves it. I still believe Whit belongs in a fuel coupe, but time will tell I wish him the very best. It will be hard to go to Reading on Friday and not see Whit in the Matco Tools Funny Car. Alan, I do have to wonder if this deal with Whit going to Powers, had a lot to do with Lee Beard.

Alan

I'm glad you raised the question because it made me think of another ramification. Seventh or eighth place is worth a LOT more now at the right time of the season, much more than ever before. Before the Challenge, it used to be a few thou difference. Now it's a ticket to the prom.

What's the chance that an underfunded #8 team (going into the race for the cut) would agree to sit out that race in favor of a megafunded team in 9th position? Since we're on a Nascar kick, that happens occasionally over there and the last time I remember is when Michael Waltrip bought his way into a race he couldn't qualify for.

It makes me wonder. We've just seen a team owner already concentrating on cutting his exposure this year and focusing on a fast start next year.

Considering the relative pittance a Pro team wins for winning a race (and for that matter, the end of year payout) I would think a megafunded team might have enough budget to make an offer that couldn't be refused considering the dollar amount might be equivalent to throwing a side of beef at a starving dog.

Low Buck Guys in #8 might realize they have no real chance to go all the way, but could desperately need a "donation" to buy parts needed for the next year.

No need for flames, just playing the devil's advocate and wondering "what if?"

I would think that an underfunded team in 8th or better wouldn't take any amount of pay off to drop out. Think about it - if you have run good enough to get top 8 acter 17 races, then you are a legitimate threat to go rounds and maybe win a race. With only 6 races to determine the championship, would you take $50k to lose out on the chance? Winning a championship is worth WAY more than a one time payout. Besides, I don't know too many racers that would give up a chance to fight it out for the championship. A little luck and some good timing can get a #8 team a championship.

I'll throw this in for debate.When George Howard had the $101 K to win T/F race in Huntsville last year,he barely had a 8 car field.You would think they would have flocked to the race,but they didn't. The biggest names there were Millican/Zizzo/Virgil Hartman etc. When George asked one of the most famous car owners why they were not coming,he was told "we don't race for money,we race for fun". At least he was honest and told George he appreciated him having the race but they were not going to come. The point being,the money don't make a hill of beans.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back