Well if they are going to do it anyway.... (1 Viewer)

Bobby

Nitro Member
I had an idea while watching wind tunnel, tryiing to call in and then Dave said he thought they should tweak the system and have only the countdown cars racing each other in their own bracket.

that's what i was thinking. my idea is this :

take the 8 cars that make the chase. at the rest of the events , those 8 cars are in each race automatically - they only qualify for lane choice on their side of the 16 car ladder. The other cars at the event qualify for their side.

what this does is ensure that none of the 8 cars miss a race due to a bad qualifying performance, either due to performance, or perhaps weather reducing the number of sessions .

it also guarantees that the 8 cars in the countdown only race each other, until the final.

it gives the cars outside the countdown a better chance to win a race after being eliminated from the countdown

if one of those non-countdown teams beats the countdown team in the final, it won't hurt the countdown team as much, because they 've already beaten the other countdown teams to get there.

I think this puts even more focus on the 'playoff' format nhra seems to want here, and makes the whole scenario much fairer to all.

and one other thing - forget pro-rating points in increments of 10 . make em all start equal
if you want a playoff, make it a playoff.

I think the whole thing sucks. No flame intended and I'm referring to the initial plan as put forth by NHRA.

You are going to end up with champions that are not the best. I could ramble on for an hour but why bother.

Because their plan sucks I feel the same about yours.

We use the saying in bracket racing that so many do in other areas. "Better lucky than good any day." Because luck CAN easily get you through one day. I've never heard anyone refer to a track points champion as having gotten through an entire season with luck, though.

The way NHRA's changing this, you're throwing away a season's worth of someone's "good" and replacing it with someone else's "luck." All they'll need is for the right person(s) to smoke the tires at the right time, and they're a champ. You couldn't say that under the old system. EVERYONE smokes them now and then. You're throwing away someone's long term average in favor of entertainment. I do say this opens the door for IHRA just a little bit more.

The integretity of racing means all 16 cars have the same shot at it. Let's don't change the rules of racing/brackets because of the playoff. Think about it this way: Does Richmond really deserve to play Syracuse in the NCAA Tournament. No, but they got in the tourney by winning their conference tournament. And when they pull the UPSET, we all talk about it and how Coach Jim Boeheim can't get out of the first round some years.
I think on a whole, we the fans are trying to look out too much for the Racers. Hell, Let's just realize this is going to be exciting and enjoy it. BTW, it may be your guy who is 5th in Funny Car points next year and comes out of nowhere to win it.

I think the whole thing sucks. No flame intended and I'm referring to the initial plan as put forth by NHRA.

You are going to end up with champions that are not the best. I could ramble on for an hour but why bother.

Because their plan sucks I feel the same about yours.
hey that's cool I agree overall. I just think they've already spent money on the logo you think we're going to change their mind? hell they've already spent money to advertise the new system it's a done deal.

I just think my idea at least keeps the top 8 racing each other only . when the yankees and redsox play in the alcs they don't play other teams on their off day. and when a wild card team wins the series as the redsox did can you really say they don't deserve it?

I think if nhra wants to focus on these 8 cars, focus on them. this is one distinction nascar can't emulate. they can't run a nascar race with 10 cars on the track . nhra can have a race within a race,, as they do with the shootouts.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back