They're doing it again :( (1 Viewer)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
I was doing good this year. They've already, less then 15 minutes into the coverage, pegged my countdown meter:mad:

I quit watching the end of last year I don't want to do that again. Maybe someday if the're still hung up on a playoff system they'll actually have the playoff teams race each other. That could bring the drama that they keep trying to manufacture and force at us.

Wonder whats on the Olympics right now....

As far as I'm concerned they can talk all they want about the C-Down. The 1000' is UNBEARABLE, and after Indy my NHRA days are over. I can't believe everyone is buying into this short track racing. Plain & Simple ... IT SUCKS!!

Oh come on PJ.. Are you seeing how much PUB my boy Fast Jack is getting tonight? :cool:

Just an idea, but maybe you can join me here:

bandwagon.gif

I'm mixing the NHRA Countdown Kool-Aid with the Captain to make it taste better and it seems to be working this year!
kool-aid.jpg

OH YEAH!

Timmah!

you all need to quit whining at least we one have drag racing and 2 i think its made for better racing on sunday and looking at qualifying ladders there much closer now then they have been for a while so man up and be happy quit complaining

I'm following flopper only... not because points... I happen to like most of the players:D

T/F I like Team K & Hillary, Ant, and AJ/Shoe.

Hopefully, the two Nitro championships will be locked up by Richmond...

I'd love to see DC win the PS Crown after missing the First 25% of the season... just because that would show just how much this whole thing is out of whack.

d'kid

As far as I'm concerned they can talk all they want about the C-Down. The 1000' is UNBEARABLE, and after Indy my NHRA days are over. I can't believe everyone is buying into this short track racing. Plain & Simple ... IT SUCKS!!

I won't even watch Indy. It's bad enough watching this crap at the half assed tracks of the western swing.
Which I 've tried, but 5 minutes is all I can take.

At Indy?

Blasphemy. I won't watch a minute of it I promise you.

Olympics?

Walsh and May were on tonight. I could watch them all day. :cool:

The racing part of it is still fine for the most part.

The only observation that I have, mind you I run 1/4 mile and rely on my chutes heavily, is that most have no reason to pull their chutes.

If I was a first timer, not knowing anything, I would have the perception that they must not be going very fast if 206 mph Pro Stock pull their chutes everytime and the Biggest and Baddest don't.

I'm a driver, so obviously I know what's going on and they are at a longer run off track, but for someone that is a newby, especially via TV, IMO, appearance is everything for ratings and could lose interest in the bigger picture very quickly.

I won't even watch Indy. It's bad enough watching this crap at the half assed tracks of the western swing.
Which I 've tried, but 5 minutes is all I can take.

At Indy?

Blasphemy. I won't watch a minute of it I promise you.

Olympics?

Walsh and May were on tonight. I could watch them all day. :cool:

If my dollars had not been spent long ago I would'nt watch it myself. Sonoma was the WORST nitro race I have ever attended, and after Indy I won't waste one more dollar on NHRA. IHBA and IHRA are people I'll gladly support.

you all need to quit whining at least we one have drag racing and 2 i think its made for better racing on sunday and looking at qualifying ladders there much closer now then they have been for a while so man up and be happy quit complaining

You need to quit listening to the NHRA Lackeys. The racing is closer theory is BS. If it's close at 1000' rest assured it will be close at the REAL finish line, so throw that theory down the toilet as well as the infamous "who says drag racing has to be a quarter mile". Who says?? 54 YEARS of HISTORY, Thats Who!!!!

I feel your pain but after watching the available videos, since I dont have EPSN, I noticed one thing, PS and PB both run in the 6's, where as T/F and FC run in the 3's. With PS and PB you hear their shifting as thier running twice as long also, making their runs seem even longer. The runs are longer, yes, but I do not notice that tiny blink of an eye that the Fuel racers arent racing anymore, I really dont.
Im still happy in my delusion here, that maybe, the next time theres a big incident at the end of the track, that extra room and time to get it straightened out, will save someones life. 330s is just too fast for me, guess Im pussing out but honestly, Id like them to cut them back to 250 and adjust the rules and watch the teams build momentum up to 330 all over again. At 1320 and 335 theres not much more they can go, we wouldnt of seen a 375 run right? At least, I dont want to see one. JMHO

I have a feeling 340 at 1320 would have been possible if not for the rev limiter.

As for 1000'? Racing is racing, I still see my favorite drivers every time I tune into ESPN, just that they're shaving off a few tenths. And if it helps save a life, I'm all for it.

I'm not the biggest fan of the countdown either but at least this version is better than the abomination of '07.

until they actually make the playoff teams race each other then the countdown will remain a joke. We already saw one "champ" win last year by bascially being able to luck out and avoid the other contenders.

until they actually make the playoff teams race each other then the countdown will remain a joke. We already saw one "champ" win last year by bascially being able to luck out and avoid the other contenders.

Stop using common sense. It has no place in any discussion concerning the NHRA management concocted countdown to "something".

For this week the Olympics are a much better show. They actually have the people doing the best declared the winners without resorting to some phoney realignment after an arbitrary cutoff point.

For those of you who hate the 1000' and swear that you wont watch and will never come to another race. I'm curious as to what you would have done. Given the time factor and cost to the teams, to try to add a safety factor while looking into a permanent solution.

I would like to hear your suggestions.

Alan

Oh please PJ, get over it!! Like I said last year, the Countdown is here to stay and if you don't like it stop watching. The Countdown is all about adding excitement to the points race and that is exactly what it will do. In the old format the Top Fuel title would be about wrapped up, but now all drivers in the top 10 have a remote chance of winning the title. By the way, I see you are still watching. If you are coming to Indy I will bring some Kleenex for you to help wipe away your tears.

For those of you who hate the 1000' and swear that you wont watch and will never come to another race. I'm curious as to what you would have done. Given the time factor and cost to the teams, to try to add a safety factor while looking into a permanent solution.

Alan

I liked what Snake had to say in interview over on DRO a couple of days ago.
Two points he made, he would like to see racing stay at 1000, and the Points payout and prize money are bonus money for the crew 'guys'...

only change in the countdown I'd like to see is the top eight play-off qualifiers on one side of the ladder and then the eight quickest cars of the balance on the other, So the finals would be a play off car vs 'the masses' for the event title.

I'll know for sure after Richmond, but I can deal with 1000ft... and I'm not a 'Johnny come lately' to this 'thing of ours'....

He also said something about closing the PRO pits on Sunday during eliminations, due to the quick turn arounds... prerace warm ups and post race could still be open... sounds like another idea who's time has come...

d'kid

Alan

I would take the TV lift from the sand trap area. I would cover concrete filled posts with protective materials, and remove other unnecessary items (ie trees etc) from the shutdown areas. Again, NHRA OVERREACTED. The task force is a good idea. Come to an agreement by the end of October to give the teams ample time, re-open testing (we all know the nitro issue is BS), and start the '09 season with the needed changes. I have watched NHRA (present management) time and again make poor decisions, but this 1000' takes the cake. Drag Racing is 1320' ALWAYS HAS BEEN, and ALWAYS SHOULD BE. Distance of the race track had little to do with any of the unfortunate deaths of our heroes. It is NHRA's responsibility to make the tracks safe to run on. If Pomona, E-Town, Denver etc. are deemed too short to handle quarter mile racing or can't facilitate safety changes then they lose their race. I live 30 minutes from Pomona and would hate to see such a historical track go, but would gladly exchange it for racing to be resumed at its intended distance.

I went to the Norwalk "Night Under Fire" event, and the 1000' racing seemed much different in person, than it does on tv. I don't really notice it too much on tv, but I really noticed it in person. If they don't go back to 1320' next year, I won't go to any events.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back