An honest question to countdown fans. (1 Viewer)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
Don't worry this is not another PJ rant thread,(ok not yet ;) ) I actually have an honest question for the countdown fans....I assume there are a few.

Now obviously I can't even almost stand the deal and with each year it gets worse and worse.

I understand and expect that NHRA needs to sell this and thus it needs to be a conversation on their coverage. Interviews need to be wrapped around it. The Lead in to the show should highlight it I get that. It's their deal and they need to push it. Hell Ford once tried to push the Edsel, Coke tried New Coke and someone thought the betamax was a good idea.

My question is, and I really want to know if its my hatred of the deal clouding my observation or not, Do they seem to really over push this thing. Points updates in the middle of a round? Every few sentences its countdown this or countdown that, some imaginary line that at first I thought meant that they had already been eliminated(also showing that before the race is done not knowing what the final points will be). Showing, repeatedly how the points system screwed over a driver or how one has benefited from it. It shocked me when they claim someone made up a few hundred points in a few races, without pointing out that the majority of those points nhra handed out.

To me it seems like the really, really try to oversell it. As though they even don't really even believe in it anymore. While watching last night, ( I only made it two hours, then fast forwarded as I couldn't take it anymore) I kept thinking about other sports and their playoffs. I don't recall hearing other commentators needing to mention every 30 seconds that's its the playoffs. Yes its talked about and it should be but here they seem to have to manufacture excitement for it.

It makes me think when you go to buy a used car and the salesperson just keep pushing one thing, going on about its greatness. You don't trust it then knowing something is wrong with it. Is that what's going on here? Are we being pushed a lemon that nhra knows isn't working?

So my question is; are they over the top in their efforts to sell the countdown or is it comparable and what would be expected from other sports?

Also an interesting quick article from a nascar writer and fans perspective how 6 years into their deal many still don't like it Auto racing | Detroit Staff Blogs | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

PJ,

although i'm ok with the countdown and have not been against it now
or in the past, i do believe this 'playoff' system in motorsports and
specifically drag racing has inherent difficulties.
the foremost which has been noted numerous times is the problem with
multiple car ownership and 'fixed' racing. don't have the answer here; even
in nascar team cars can help each other but the reality is they're out there
with 40+ other cars.........drag racing of course is mano a mano
and to lose on purpose is quite easy.
be that as it may, i do like the adjusted playoff system this year without
the points being reset in vegas, and because of this rankings
quickly change within a race or two (robert hight); so is the "c" coverage
too much?.......i'd say yes, but nascar and now nhra have hung their seasons
on 'playoff' systems so it's logical that they become THE story.

I think the constant mentioning of the countdown is a symptom of the amateurish broadcasts the ESPN crew put together. There are other symptoms too that we won't get into here.

Diamond P had the most professional broadcasts. I think back then there was no mention of the points until the last 5 mins of the broadcast after the event was completed If I can remember interviews focused on the race at hand, and not what if this and what if that.

All other playoffs in sports for the most part do the same thing - that is mention how the standings in the playoffs are doing after the game is over.

Maybe broadcasts are too long and they need to fill up space with all these promotional segments and whatnot.

I've phased it out though. I have gotten in the habit of DVRing and watching it later, so I can skip all the garbage and watch the racing.

I don't really care about the countdown. They set up the rules, and the rules are the rules. It's still racing. Each individual race is still the same.

Last edited:
I think the countdown is terrible. You have cars that have really done nothing all year capable of winning a championship. The perfect example this year is Robert Hight. That car was a slug all year and now he puts together two wins after squeaking into the countdown and is now leading the points. Ashley has numerous number 1 qualifiers, wins, and has gone deep into events with round wins and she is now trailing. Antron Brown has been kicking the crap outta everybody in TF this year and basically had the thing wrapped up before Indy and now he's getting the shaft. Its just a joke. The better cars and teams are no longer winning championships. It comes down to who can have a decent 6 race streak. I dont understand NHRA's thinking in this deal. Why cant we just come up with our own incentives and deals and stop following what NASCRAP is doing. Just my two cents.

Someone here is keeping a running tally of what the actual points standings should be without the Clowndown right?

Would be fun to see if now given all the changes since Indy.

Someone here is keeping a running tally of what the actual points standings should be without the Clowndown right?

Would be fun to see if now given all the changes since Indy.

people still do that for Nascar, and it drives me insane. you can't accurately compare new way versus old, because the countdown, or chase, or whatever you call it changes the way people race. If they are solidly in, they take chances they wouldn't normally take. If they are on the edge, they points race, instead of trying to win the race.

I think it affects the nascar guys more than it does the NHRA races, simply due to the type of racing.

People get locked in, they go into testing mode, instead of keeping the hammer down.

I think tracking the points old vs. new is more accurate for NHRA than the roundy round guys, but it still isn't perfect. It won't always give you a true reflection of who would have won using the old system.. but it WILL give you an accurate picture of who would NOT have won under the old system.

I'm a purist. Give me the old countdown and the 1/4 Mile. One thing that nobody mentions is this: In years past we often had runaway title winners, and the countdown is meant to keep things exciting to the end. Well, with all the rule changes over the past few years, particularly in nitro, there is more parity than ever. Guys like AJ, Coil, and Dale Armstrong were able to get big hammers over the field because of breakthrough ideas, not so much anymore. I believe the points chases would be exciting enough under the old system. I mean, yeah, all thestick&ball sports do it, and NASCAR adopted it, but has the NHRA actually seen any real growth in specators and TV viewership because of it? Just because all the other sports do it doesn't mean it works over here.

I'm gotten good at blanking out any talk of the countdown till it really really matters-I've become more of a RACING fan rather than a RACER fan. Whats the difference? It took me a while to figure it out-but the way my wife and I watch races is totally different--she is definately a RACER fan.
Sitting in the stands at Etown--watching TA/fc-I'm watching with interest-this guy shook the tires--that guy put a big holeshot on his opponent--while the wife goes "i dont even know any of the these people "-racER fan.

If someone gave you tickets to a dragboat race--could you watch + have fun without knowing who was where in the points? -racING fan.

You choose sides in the showdown in the shutdown? --racER fan
or were you pissed the were missing the 1st pair of P/S? racING fan.

How about the fan in the stand that would leave if his favorite driver went out 1st round? racER fan.
Or in NASCAR (yes i watch those too) wife-did you see what driver X did to JR?? how can they let him get away with it?" definate racER fan.

Ever go to a local short track far from home--where you didnt know a single driver? And the closest association was "the blue #7 looked quick in the heats--i'll pick him for the win"--racING fan.

I'll bet the a very high majority of people in the stands at any race are racER fans (not that theres anything wrong with that) and the countdown is made for them. How is YOUR driver doing?

Just be glad its not cup--I say it once a race (and the announcers do it MANY more) "if the season ended now"......even though its lap 26 of 500 and theres 8 races to go.....:p

To answer your question (and I had to spend some time re-reading to separate the question from your opinion) - No, they don't HAVE to mention it every 5 minutes but, they have 3 hours to fill.

For me, I like the countdown (and I'm an Antron fan). The points are re-set - thems the rules - DEAL WITH IT!

The countdwn (IMHO) is a second season (albeit contrived) where somebody can get hot and make things interesting. How many years did we witness the season ending at Indy with no suspense tension or otherwise to carry 'til Pomona?

The countdown keeps the fan (casual or otherwise) engaged!

Can't give you an honest answer PJ... except for year end bonuses for the team guys(Eric, Alex, Sammy, et.al on the AAA Car) I could care less.

My only Bit@h is should be the top eight only after the cut, and they should only race each other... so, saying that, Zippy and Robert shouldn't even be in the play offs. That's hard coming from a AAA fan, but true.

I'm a purist. Give me the old countdown and the 1/4 Mile. One thing that nobody mentions is this: In years past we often had runaway title winners, and the countdown is meant to keep things exciting to the end. Well, with all the rule changes over the past few years, particularly in nitro, there is more parity than ever. Guys like AJ, Coil, and Dale Armstrong were able to get big hammers over the field because of breakthrough ideas, not so much anymore. I believe the points chases would be exciting enough under the old system. I mean, yeah, all thestick&ball sports do it, and NASCAR adopted it, but has the NHRA actually seen any real growth in specators and TV viewership because of it? Just because all the other sports do it doesn't mean it works over here.

actually it hasn't gained or held viewers. Year 1 they had a nice increase leading into the countdown, not only could they not hold those they had gained in the regular season, they lost them plus the ones they already had.

Can't give you an honest answer PJ... except for year end bonuses for the team guys(Eric, Alex, Sammy, et.al on the AAA Car) I could care less.

My only Bit@h is should be the top eight only after the cut, and they should only race each other... so, saying that, Zippy and Robert shouldn't even be in the play offs. That's hard coming from a AAA fan, but true.

As much as I want the old system back. I could at least live with it if 8 were on one side and had to race each other. It would eliminate the guy who won without winning and it would also take care of the guy who won by simply not having to beat the other countdown people.

If you are a purist you would advocate going back to naming the winner of the World Finals the World Champ.

Just sayin'.......

That would suck but it'd be better than this. Hell put everyone name in a hat and draw it out, it would have as much meaning as this does

....................The countdwn (IMHO) is a second season (albeit contrived) where somebody can get hot and make things interesting. How many years did we witness the season ending at Indy with no suspense tension or otherwise to carry 'til Pomona?

The countdown keeps the fan (casual or otherwise) engaged!
Same feelings here, I like how close the points are with only 4 races left, it definitely keeps the end of the season interesting.

Last edited:
That would suck but it'd be better than this. Hell put everyone name in a hat and draw it out, it would have as much meaning as this does
Why cherry pick the time period to go back to?

If everyone wants to go back to what used to be in place, lets go back to the very beginning, to be purists.

Same feelings here, I like how close the points are with only 4 races left, it definitely keeps the end of the season interesting.

X3, I like the excitement it brings to the last 6 races of the year. I remember the years when John Force was dominating and I recall how less meaningful the races were knowing everyone was racing for second. Sure, the old system would have great title races like TF in 1999 and FC in 2005, but that was the exception instead of the norm. The Countdown raises the probability of having a close and exciting finish to the year in each category.

Robert Hight and Jimmy Prock are doing with the help of the Countdown what every anti-Countdown fan feared.

What they are doing is taking a car that wouldn't be in the Championship ballpark 5 years ago and making a run.

Countdown or No Countdown doesn't really bother me.

Just making a statement.

Robert Hight and Jimmy Prock are doing with the help of the Countdown what every anti-Countdown fan feared.

What they are doing is taking a car that wouldn't be in the Championship ballpark 5 years ago and making a run. ........

although they barely got in and i'm sure they didn't like the whole
indy scenario either - the AAA team is showing that when talent abounds
and are part of a 4-car dynasty, you can now use 16 races to test, then race
at the end to win.
the napa team IMO is the opposite of the AAA team rite now.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back