Beckman's New Idea For The Countdown.... (1 Viewer)

They still allow non playoff cars in the same bracket as playoff teams, which is a mess. Watching a driver win a title while only being able to beat one playoff car along the way is disgusting. My Lions will win the Super Bowl if they get to play the Dolphins, Rams and Colts in the playoffs this year. Of course that is crazy, but we have had that happen with the countdown.

After thinking about this a bit I came up with a different ladder that might make for some discussion. Make the Countdown to only include the top 8 cars (half the 16 car field). Qualify the Countdown cars separately from the non Countdown cars. The Countdown cars line up against each other for the first round. The top 8 other qualifiers line up against each other for the first round. 4 Countdown cars and 4 non Countdown cars are on each side of the round 1 ladder. Round two goes as it does now depending on the winners of round 1. This way you at least have the contenders in the Countdown racing each other in the first round. And 4 of the Countdown cars will be out after round one which will really squeue the points up. Plus you'll have non Countdown cars playing the spoiler more often and getting sponsor exposure.

You Are On To Something

Just don't forget that The Countdown is manufactured drama to keep fan interest. So hopefully when we get to Pomona (as has been the last 2 seasons) there's a reason to watch. So, truly the "wusification" (as you call it) was manufactured for the fans - not the teams.

ANOTHER CHANGE
I would add to Jack's changes - except I would change the way qualifying happens.

How about something like this (as a spin off idea from circle track racing A & B mains etc.):
  • Q1 is a test - times don't carry forward for anything - think of it as a warm up lap
  • Q2 - glory run on Friday night - only #1 and #2 qualifiers keep time (think of it as Daytona 500 pole sitter is set - can't be bumped no matter what - then everyone else races for position)
  • Q3 - next 3 positions are set and can NOT be bumped in Q4 - everyone's Q3 time counts - but they can be bumped
  • Q4 set the field - all positions are available except the top 5

Just a thought - something to mixed it up and keep the Top 5 cars from being controlled by the powerhouse teams of Schumacher and AJ. Then when eliminations come - you might see some more interesting match ups in the early rounds

Its a qualifying playoff, teams have to be eliminated. At least in racing you can still play for cash after elmination and wins. Then, Jack should ask his owner if he is OK with the reverse aspect of racing OUT of the Top Ten. I tell ya in thought, if JGray was JForce or a more visible type team/driver it would be all the rage on espn2 and you'd see graphics galore on what he has done. No offense to JGray. Just a fact. Whats next? "Driver A" pulled the furtherest to get here so let's give him a Guaranteed spot in the field. Rules are rules. I swear the wusification of America is going on in mass and hourly these days.

Just don't forget that The Countdown is manufactured drama to keep fan interest. So hopefully when we get to Pomona (as has been the last 2 seasons) there's a reason to watch. So, truly the "wusification" (as you call it) was manufactured for the fans - not the teams.

I've been thinking a lot about that and I'm starting to think the Countdown was manufactured for the media not the fans...

think about it; for most fans at the track the race is about the guy in one lane beating the guy in the other lane, or their favorite driver winning the race or something else that's right there in front of them...

OTOH the media is all about points battles and who needs how many points to catch somebody or points to clinch or whatever

I'm having a hard time putting this in words, but the more I think about it the more it seems to me that trying to make motor racing (not just drag racing) emulate stick and ball sports style playoff is silly because the winner of what happens in front of you at a race may or may not be the guy that wins the championship...almost like watching a football or baseball playoff game but the winner may be determined by another team losing in another game, or another team in another game not scoring enough or something like that...does that make sense to anyone?

anyway...if the NHRA has to have some sort of playoff, make it an actual playoff...at the end of the season take the top 8 teams, invite them to the "Countdown to the Championship" event (that could be at different tracks every year) and have a double elimination tournament style event and crown the winner on the track the season champ

I've been thinking a lot about that and I'm starting to think the Countdown was manufactured for the media not the fans...

think about it; for most fans at the track the race is about the guy in one lane beating the guy in the other lane, or their favorite driver winning the race or something else that's right there in front of them...

OTOH the media is all about points battles and who needs how many points to catch somebody or points to clinch or whatever

I'm having a hard time putting this in words, but the more I think about it the more it seems to me that trying to make motor racing (not just drag racing) emulate stick and ball sports style playoff is silly because the winner of what happens in front of you at a race may or may not be the guy that wins the championship...almost like watching a football or baseball playoff game but the winner may be determined by another team losing in another game, or another team in another game not scoring enough or something like that...does that make sense to anyone?

anyway...if the NHRA has to have some sort of playoff, make it an actual playoff...at the end of the season take the top 8 teams, invite them to the "Countdown to the Championship" event (that could be at different tracks every year) and have a double elimination tournament style event and crown the winner on the track the season champ

You are spot on, it is about getting the media to cover them. In turn that would hopefully generate new fans. Hasn't worked though.

It is interesting when I am at a race, so many of the people have no idea what the countdown is. They hear Frey or Alan talk about it and ask around as to what it is. It seems the majority of people at the track are once a year or very limited fans at best.

Shockingly, if given the opportunity I actually explain the countdown, without my opionion. Although usually someone else is already telling them how bad it is. Occasionally but rarely someone in the area says they like it. As a side note, I do enjoy hearing the boos when they mention the countdown on the PA.

although i enjoy the countdown, starting to think it's all a lost cause unless
something is done to control costs - same 3 multi-teams winning
everything is getting really old really fast.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back