Beckman's New Idea For The Countdown.... (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
http://http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/19503-beckman-would-lobby-for-points-system-thats-fair

"Secondly, 11th place can't ever ascend into the top 10. You've created a glass ceiling for them. Now, statistically, they'll say nobody ever came from outside of the top 10 to win the championship. But the 11th-place guy could have finished second or third or fourth or fifth, and that's important to their sponsors," he said. "So maybe if we just cut the points in half, where somebody's got a 10-round lead, they've still got a five-round lead. But 11th through 15th are still very much in contention for a top-10 finish."

I agree with that and I have made that case on here before. It's safe to say cars from the 11th-14th spot have serious sponsorship and denying a team a chance to break in the top ten has to be rough for the sponsor to swallow. Bob Vandergriff and Johnny Gray would be in the top ten. No team should be denied a shot at the top 10, so what they miss the cut off, 15th should have a shot to win 6 races and finish at least 10th then to win 6 races and finish only 11th. I don't even think this is the answer. Season's were not meant to be adjusted, you either have a good year or you don't. The old way denied nobody.

I never have liked the countdown because the drivers I like that could of won normally got there ass handed to them with it. I don't think the countdown is even needed anymore, Why is tf and fc so tight the last 2 seasons, M-O-N-E-Y- then talent. The # of teams that had the money to run with the 2008 and before were 1 to maybe 2. Now it's 5-6 and if you had no countdown this year the points would be very similar to what they are now. The countdown should be taken down because more teams have the money and talent avail to run hard as opposed to just a few years ago. It's not the countdown that can be thanked for the tight point situations, it's the money and talent, the balance of power is a little more even due to many teams having the same foundations neccessary to run for it all.

My Idea: Reset the points of ALL TEAMS who ran all countdown qualifying races, I think it would work. So what it may not be an even number. Any team that has afforded to run every countdown qualifying race should be a part of it.

Last edited:
everyone gets the same rule book during the winter. everyone knows how the points work (like it or not). . . go race or go somewhere else. :mad:

everyone gets the same rule book during the winter. everyone knows how the points work (like it or not). . . go race or go somewhere else. :mad:

My only beef with the countdown is the teams that don't make the countdown, they should not be denied a spot in the top ten. What makes it right for the NHRA to say ok, 16 races went by you missed the countdown, your chance at to be at least tenth, ninth, or eight best in the final six are over. This year in both TF and FC 8-10 would of been open. This is the only reason why the countdown does not work. All it does is bring the teams that can play closer and lock off the die hards just trying to break into the top ten. I'm sure most teams after indy have an attitude that the season is garbage cause no top ten. 6 races are too many to races left to deny the teams 1-5 capable teams outside the top ten no shot at a nationally recognized position.

My Idea: Reset the points of ALL TEAMS who ran all countdown qualifying races, I think it would work. So what it may not be an even number. Any team that has afforded to run every countdown qualifying race should be a part of it.

Its a qualifying playoff, teams have to be eliminated. At least in racing you can still play for cash after elmination and wins. Then, Jack should ask his owner if he is OK with the reverse aspect of racing OUT of the Top Ten. I tell ya in thought, if JGray was JForce or a more visible type team/driver it would be all the rage on espn2 and you'd see graphics galore on what he has done. No offense to JGray. Just a fact. Whats next? "Driver A" pulled the furtherest to get here so let's give him a Guaranteed spot in the field. Rules are rules. I swear the wusification of America is going on in mass and hourly these days.

I agree the countdown needs to go away. There is a lot of money being spent out there by these other teams that are outside of the top 10. I agree with resetting all the teams points after Indy. Sponsors are everything in today's sport. Resigning a deal may come down to whether you finish outside the top ten. Give these other guys a shot at a top ten spot. I just feel like the championships that have been won over the last couple years are kind of tainted. Del Worsham got hosed this year, as well as Mike Neff. Now granted Zippy had a rough day yesterday, but again, if the points had not been reset this thing would be over. Either way there is nothing I can do about this other than gripe and complain on the net, and I still will be going to Pomona in two weeks. So all in all I would like to see the countdown go away. It probably never will. So, I'll keep watching and going to races and putting up with Paul Page's rambling non sense.

Its a qualifying playoff, teams have to be eliminated. At least in racing you can still play for cash after elmination and wins. Then, Jack should ask his owner if he is OK with the reverse aspect of racing OUT of the Top Ten. I tell ya in thought, if JGray was JForce or a more visible type team/driver it would be all the rage on espn2 and you'd see graphics galore on what he has done. No offense to JGray. Just a fact. Whats next? "Driver A" pulled the furtherest to get here so let's give him a Guaranteed spot in the field. Rules are rules. I swear the wusification of America is going on in mass and hourly these days.

Good call Steve!

wussification: The trend of becoming an increasingly wimpy society:eek:

In NASCAR drivers outside of the Chase can be ignored unless leading to focus on others.

Please inform me as to when ESPN2 ignored a 1st, 2nd, Semi, or Final run of a NON Countdownee because he/she wasn't in the Countdown?

NHRA = If you go rounds you are on the tube. If you go rounds then the tube shows that sponsor on the door or fiberglass.

I really enjoy the Countdown.

Gray would be in 7th right now with no chance to move up any further. (was 11th). Vandergriff would be in 8th right now with a slight chance to move to
7th (was 12th)

Neff would have clinched at Vegas and Worsham would be 90 points up heading into the finals with the old deal.

Dean

Please inform me as to when ESPN2 ignored a 1st, 2nd, Semi, or Final run of a NON Countdownee because he/she wasn't in the Countdown?

NHRA = If you go rounds you are on the tube. If you go rounds then the tube shows that sponsor on the door or fiberglass.

OK tell me where Paul Lee's interview was, where was Vandergriff's, where was KJ's, where was Angie Smith? What, you wanna tell me there not in the countdown so they don't deserve an interview, BS!

Your now telling me that's it's ok for some teams never to be interviewed if they go rounds because the sponsor made it on tv anyway? If we go that route why interview anyone? Plain and simple, forget team, forget points, you win a round, no matter who you are in what class you should get an interview.

How do you explain to a sponsor, Yes we won but we never got an interview but that guy lost but got one?

Gray would be in 7th right now with no chance to move up any further. (was 11th). Vandergriff would be in 8th right now with a slight chance to move to
7th (was 12th)

Neff would have clinched at Vegas and Worsham would be 90 points up heading into the finals with the old deal.

Dean

See and this is an important point thank you. How does service central feel about paying for a team that is gonna own 11th instead of being known as the 7th best in the world? C & J Energy must be in a similar boat. It's not right.

I'm very serious reset the points after indy for all the teams that ran EVERY countdown qualifying race. I felt since the start of this countdown it's wrong to ruin a teams shot at the top ten cause they "Peaked at the wrong time"

It could even make the countdown better, you got the excitement of the title, now you got the excitement of teams trying to hold on to a top ten and teams trying to break in.

Personally, I feel the countdown was needed when it was only 1-3 teams playing with the big numbers, but now that every class has more than 5 get rid of it. It no longer lets anyone dominate and that's important. Of course I have to add, Ron Capps and Tim Wilkerson both have a championship!

X2- I love the points races we have in both fuel categories. With no Countdown both would be all but wrapped up. Pomona will keep me on the edge of my seat.

Yea, but Paul take this year's points in FC and TF before the countdown. Look at Dean's post. If there was no countdown this year it would of been a hell of a point race even still. NHRA should ditch it because I think the days of a TF or FC winning a championship with a 200 + lead are over.

Yea, but Paul take this year's points in FC and TF before the countdown. Look at Dean's post. If there was no countdown this year it would of been a hell of a point race even still. NHRA should ditch it because I think the days of a TF or FC winning a championship with a 200 + lead are over.

Not for the title, Neff would have it wrapped up and Del would have it all but locked up. No one remembers who finished 7th and the battles lower down in the standings. The Countdown has given us a title race down to the final race of the year like it has done the majority of the time since it was rolled out. Big fan of the Countdown.

.......I think the days of a TF or FC winning a championship with a 200 + lead are over.

you can't say that - look what jason just did.....WITH the countdown.
IMO the nhra broadcasts have provided the likes of vandergriff and gray
ample exposure during their success since indy

7th best?......tell me who was 7th best in anything last year!?....who cares.

and as dean posted neff would have won yesterday, as would have jason by
now and worsham would be up by 90.....not exactly nail biters for pomona.

you can't say that - look what jason just did.....WITH the countdown.
IMO the nhra broadcasts have provided the likes of vandergriff and gray
ample exposure during their success since indy

7th best?......tell me who was 7th best in anything last year!?....who cares.

and as dean posted neff would have won yesterday, as would have jason by
now and worsham would be up by 90.....not exactly nail biters for pomona.

In all defense, pro stock has ALWAYS been a run away the countdown has done little to help that class. I look at everybody, I don't just look at the title contenders, I look at every team that makes a pass, McMillen's or Vandergriff's money is just as good as Al-Anabi or DSR, because there another car competing, forget about the perfomance gap. This is a sport where teams are pushed to do the best they can week in and week out. Dominance is impressive and sometimes annoying to watch for the fans and other teams, so the NHRA wanted to level the field, ok you got the countdown. Now it's not right to have the guys that do better and peak at the wrong time to be left with no chance for a spot on the ten best list.

I may not be wording it my best but reading between the lines, it's all about money. How many sponsorship extensions or new beginnings can a team who finished 11th best going to get when say without a countdown that team in 11th spot could finish 7th? I just described Johnny Gray's position. Sure it is pointless in that context cause they have a multi year deal, same with vandergriff and McMillen, and chances are next year they'll all make the top ten. But why deny any team who could not peak in 16 races the chance to peak in the final 6 and make the all important top ten.

It has to be looked at in terms of money and sponsorship, not just yay or nay for countdown. It also gives the teams a chance who don't belong in the top ten a chance to be there. I'm a die hard Tim Wilkerson fan, he's had one hell of a rough year, he does not belong in the top ten. NHRA is all about doing your best, why secure a top ten spot to a team who cant perfom. Morgan Lucas should be out of the top ten with Langdon. Here is the ultimate deal, Remember Rickie Jones made the countdown and never ran a race in it, he got to walk away with a top ten, that was not fair. Personally Rickie Jones should be racing NHRA pro-stock, with the power they would win and win ALOT! I would love to know if the countdown screwed any teams sponsorships?

If you just reset the points for however many drivers ran every qualifying countdown race, you solve this problem. I mean every, no exceptions for a team that ran 14 or 15 of 16. All 16 race teams will have points reset. Now how? Just keep the reset system the way it is. 10th is ALWAYS more than 120 points behind so that always worked. 11th-130-12th-140-13th-150, yea they still may be a ways out but trust me any team that got reset in 13th at 150 out way more like 300 before it.

Last edited:
IMO the countdown enhances sponsor exposure because it provides
a points battle (drama) right out till last race, which can not be said of
pre-countdown championships wrapped up by indy or shortly after.

in other words, the countdown more than likely retains tv viewership rite
till the last race; i.e. yesterday the countdown interest kept viewers tuned
in and witnessed the race title sponsor's car/driver racing into FC final,
complete with sponsor mention and TV exposure; the exact same can be
said for ron capss & NAPA, who were not exactly in the running the last
few weeks.

patrick - we'll agree to disagree on this one.

How about if teams had to declare prior to the start of the season if they were going to contend for the championship or not. Then require the countdown teams to race every race prior to Indy. Make Indy a double points race again and reset the points for all the countdown teams after Indy. And just to make it a little more interesting designate one of the countdown races as a double points race.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back