Change The Countdown To The Championship? (1 Viewer)

I respectfully disagree Mr. Keenan. How is it successful. Are there more fans in the stands now, then before the CD?? Are there more cars in competition?? I would say no on both points, so where's the success??

You mention "drama". Racing is about performance, not drama.
Drama is about "who done it in the library with a candle stick". :p

The CD is nhra's way of squeezing two seasons into one year. They give hundreds of un-earned points to some drivers, and unfairly lock drivers out of the championship before the season is over.

However they don't care how we feel, just like 1,000ft the CD is here to stay.

That was my effort to type what NHRA wants me to type lol. I still feel something needs to be done. I hate the countdown and all it has done is put a cap on teams who can't run for the title, at least before the teams still may not of been able to run for a title but were never capped. The countdown has done nothing but ruin competition more often then it has helped it and has nearly driven every little guy out of the sport due to the increase in $$$$$ by the teams that can run the countdown. My book has done a look at countdown vs. non countdown points, of course it can't compare psyche, but I think the days of run away point chases all across the board is long gone.

but I think the days of run away point chases all across the board is long gone.

You think a team can't have a monster lead after just 6 races? There have been plenty of countdown titles locked up in Vegas vs Pomona. With a little more luck we could see them wrapped up by Reading.

How about doing away with the nascar-copying Countdown and let the driver who earns the most points throughout the entire season be declared the winner?

DING DING DING!!! we HAVE a winner!!!

X2. Counting points all year has worked fine since the 70's, and it properly rewards those who have worked hard and performed well all season. The whole "Countdown to the Chase to the Playoffs for a Championship" or whatever the hell they call it is silly, and in some cases creates contrived champions. Don't try to fix what's not broken!

X2. Counting points all year has worked fine since the 70's, and it properly rewards those who have worked hard and performed well all season. The whole "Countdown to the Chase to the Playoffs for a Championship" or whatever the hell they call it is silly, and in some cases creates contrived champions. Don't try to fix what's not broken!

That says it all right there. The "SEASON" champ should be the one that preforms best all season. If he/she wraps it up 3/4 thru the season, so what, he earned it. Then the focus would fall on the race for second.

If you don't find cars going zero to 325MPH, in 4 seconds exciting........
then no artificial manipulation of points will make it exciting either.

I just wonder how pissed Napa is over the fiasco. They were on Mikey's car when he had the illegal substance in his intake in Daytona 2007 and got banged pretty hard with penalties. Now to be knocked entirely out of the chase for the teams manipulation of the race can not be going over well. Maybe they'll throw a few more bucks to the NHRA side instead. :D

And there you have it. Way to go NAPA!

NAPA Auto Parts leaving Michael Waltrip Racing after Chase scandal - ESPN

Last edited:
I think the funny part is how NASCAR is requiring drivers to go 100%. Since the chase started there have been several drivers who have admitted that once the chase starts, if they are next to a chase driver they do not race as hard for fear of spinning them out and costing them anything.

Need to have playoff only cars on the track

I think the funny part is how NASCAR is requiring drivers to go 100%. Since the chase started there have been several drivers who have admitted that once the chase starts, if they are next to a chase driver they do not race as hard for fear of spinning them out and costing them anything.

Need to have playoff only cars on the track

The Chase doesn't work ... If it did they would have it in the Nationwide and Truck series as well. Brian France is never going to admit he is wrong, so it is here to stay even though it has cost them fans and directly affects the economy of the teams. It will also stay in NHRA for much the same reason, the powers that be are never wrong.

BTW ... Nationwide is leaving as title sponsor of that series after next season.

Last edited:
Why all the concern with Nascar running off sponsors? Take a look at the sponsors that have been run off in the NHRA. You can start with the clowns in Glendora and the Queen at the track. And yes, there are more, you can only embarrass a sponsor so much until they are gone.

You think a team can't have a monster lead after just 6 races? There have been plenty of countdown titles locked up in Vegas vs Pomona. With a little more luck we could see them wrapped up by Reading.

900 points on the table in the countdown, # 1 would have to leave Reading with a 451 point lead and that would just be mathematically impossible. I do agree with you on the fact that it will happen. 4 straight wins and clinch in race 4 of 6, it will happen one year.

900 points on the table in the countdown, # 1 would have to leave Reading with a 451 point lead and that would just be mathematically impossible. I do agree with you on the fact that it will happen. 4 straight wins and clinch in race 4 of 6, it will happen one year.

You would have to enter reading with a 451 point lead to be the champ, but..

There are only 2 races left after Reading... Las Vegas - 150 points, Pomona - 150 points. You need to leave Reading with a 301 point lead. Very possible. Win the first 4 races and possible record setting conditions in Reading? Plus start as the #1 seed with a 30 point bonus already? With a little luck, it could be done.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back